Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Rik 12th August 2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 609296)
Been giving this by a friend. Anyone seen the show?

No, but it inspired Kurt Cobain to write the song Floyd the Barber from Nirvana’s Bleach album :nod:

trebor8273 12th August 2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 609298)
No, but it inspired Kurt Cobain to write the song Floyd the Barber from Nirvana’s Bleach album :nod:

Watching the pilot and I don't think anyone is going to get killed or urinated on! If was made today i would say the chances would be high.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th August 2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 609293)

A Walk Among the Tombstones arrived today, a cheap buy from Music Magpie, and Godzilla is, believe it or, a blind buy. I know it doesn't have the best reputation, but figured the best way to watch it was with optimum picture and sound, so when it was available from Amazon for £9.99 this weekend, I decided to take a gamble.

If you can get over the obvious flaws - the army with all their weaponry can't hit something the size of a green scaly skyscraper and said creature also appears able to change size at will then it really is just a bit of good old fashioned fun.

Think of it as a fifties sci-fi movie made in the 90's, sit back and enjoy some mayhem.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th August 2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 609301)
If you can get over the obvious flaws - the army with all their weaponry can't hit something the size of a green scaly skyscraper and said creature also appears able to change size at will then it really is just a bit of good old fashioned fun.

Think of it as a fifties sci-fi movie made in the 90's, sit back and enjoy some mayhem.

Roland Emmerich is not my favourite director, but what he usually lacks in narrative coherence, he makes up for in action spectacle. I expect it to be one of those 'dumb but fun' films which will be almost reference quality in 4K with 3D object-based audio and great picture quality.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th August 2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 609232)
^ Heads up Dem, you may want to check out HUSH, it has Catwoman in it. :thumb:

Just had a look at it today in the supermarket.

Superman's in it so it'll be planet chucking stuff no doubt. Not really my type of superhero genre.

trebor8273 13th August 2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 609327)
Just had a look at it today in the supermarket.

Superman's in it so it'll be planet chucking stuff no doubt. Not really my type of superhero genre.

No, he's in it for a small part. A new villain has arrived i Gotham and is out to destroy the Batman and Bruce Wayne . This villain knows they are one in the same and they are using all of the bats enemies to bring him down.

Nordicdusk 13th August 2019 02:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple of Pre Orders

Attachment 217701 Attachment 217702

Nordicdusk 13th August 2019 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some rescued from a closing pub action

Not bought but my girlfriends brother just dropped this off to me. He got it from a pub that was closing down it was in a big wooden display case sadly he didnt bring the case :lol:

It looks pretty old.

Attachment 217703

SymbioticFunction 13th August 2019 03:05 PM

Bought the HMV Little Shop of Horrors on blu-ray last week.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching both cuts on Sunday and Monday (but I definitely preferred the director's cut as the extended monster movie style ending had much more impact and it also had an additional song).

Also picked up a Shazam! bd yesterday. Wife and I will see it on Thursday afternoon. Haven't seen it before but I was very much sold by some internet folks saying that it reminded them of the experience of watching Superman 1 and 2 as children.

Watched the first (pre-spoilers) several minutes of a 'Half in the Bag', Red Letter Media YouTube video and even that difficult-to-please duo really liked Shazam. And whilst I certainly wouldn't always use it as a barometer of quality, it's quite assuring that it got a 91% Rotten Tomato score.

Should be a fun viewing. :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th August 2019 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just received the 4K Ultra HD release of The Karate Kid, something I didn't already own one any format. I can't imagine the Dolby Atmos track will be the most awe-inspiring use of that technology, but hopefully the sound will be clear and the picture will have as much detail from the 35mm print as possible.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/att...1&d=1565709793