Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nordicdusk 26th August 2019 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just pre ordered this also

Attachment 217970

troggi 26th August 2019 10:09 AM

Heh, heh! I've done something that I promised I wouldn't do, ever! (No you filthy-minded tag-nuts)! I have started spending money (I know that it's hard to believe but, yes, I do sometimes put my hand in my pocket) on, drumroll please, a Manga anime series longer than a diplodocus's ding-dong, "One Piece"!

It's already cost me an arm and a leg so if anyone knows where to get cheap arms and legs fitted...

Seriosly though, my virtual friends, if anyone has, or knows of a copy of "One Piece: Collection 5" going for a reasonable price (as dirt cheap as possible or I'll have to start on Mrs. t's arms and legs, then we'll both have t' 'op-it) I would be eternally grateful, well, until I need "...Collection 6"!

bleakshaun 26th August 2019 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up from Fopp
Attachment 217975

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

SymbioticFunction 27th August 2019 12:59 PM

Unexpectedly received some money a couple of days back so I decided to bite the bullet and buy a 4K UHD blu-ray player.

Cost 184 pounds for the well reviewed Sony UBP X700 (from PC World) and I also picked up a UHD boxset of Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy from Argos (the 2nd and 3rd films look pretty amazing).

Selling my old 4K upscaling blu-ray player to Cex today along with some unwanted bds. That will pretty much cover the other four UHD discs that I've ordered (Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049, and Ghostbusters 1 and 2).

I used to say that upscaled 1080p was good enough for me but after finally seeing UHD for myself, I've very much had a change of heart. :)

MrBarlow 27th August 2019 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrived from 101 films

iank 28th August 2019 12:46 AM

$13 from JB:

https://images3.static-bluray.com/mo...g?t=1495038500

I have the DVD, but am not overly fond of it, and (after Macra blew the doors off and removed my purist objections forever lol) I'm just interested to see if I'll find the colour version any more palatable...

iank 28th August 2019 01:58 AM

And arrived:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/XlYAA...5ny/s-l300.jpg

monkeypedro 28th August 2019 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got back home last night from a week in London attending Frightfest to a bundle of parcels plus a few pick ups whilst away from Cex, Fopp and the Fab Press stall.

I did get a copy of the oop Arrow Dawn of the Dead bluray in my goodie bag which i sold on and funded my shopping spree in Fopp where i bought Shazam and US 4K UHD's along with the Third Window blurays, Sleepers and House That Jack Built.

I managed to get the Prince of Darkness 4 disc set for £15 from Music Magpie as well as the 4 disc Escape from New York for the same price a few days later but just awaiting delivery.

SymbioticFunction 28th August 2019 03:35 PM

Blade Runner 2049 4K UHD arrived today.

I've got to be honest, since my new Sony UBP X700 player is so impressive at upscaling 1080p, it's very difficult to see much difference between 2049 being upscaled or playing in pure 2160p (on a 65 inch screen).

This has taught me an important lesson. If a 1080p bd already looks pretty amazing, don't automatically assume that a 2160p version will be a significant improvement.

I was also gonna order a Mad Max Fury Road UHD but having looked at the (outstanding) regular blu-ray being upscaled, I'm not certain that I would personally notice a difference.

My Dark Knight trilogy UHD's are a noticeable upgrade. Blade Runner 2049 - not so much!! Just shows that you have to be careful when deciding what to upgrade. :)

btw A while back, a friend on Facebook was blown away by the Predator UHD but said that he couldn't notice a difference on Die Hard. Which should have also warned me that you shouldn't bother to upgrade certain 1080p discs. :)

Am hoping I have better luck with the other 3 UHD's that are en-route.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th August 2019 06:01 PM

I thought the Blade Runner 2049 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray produced a much better picture because of the detail and colours. It was shot at 3.4K and theatrically screened at 4K, so it has been downscaled for the standard Blu-ray.

I compared them and thought the standard Blu-ray Disc had a really impressive picture, but the colours don't seem as rich or the fine detail as clear as on its 4K counterpart. It isn't a 4K release which has the same visual 'wow' factor as Guardians of the Galaxy 2, John Wick, Planet Earth II or the first Blade Runner as they are demo discs but, in terms of the blacks, clarity, and detail, it's one I'm glad I have on 4K Ultra HD.