Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Rob Strange 21st December 2009 03:32 PM

Yeah, I too take reviews with a pinch of salt. Look at Evil Dead 2 blu ray - pretty much decent reviews across the board for PQ, even though the transfer has been hugely degraded by noise reduction.

And there's many blu ray reviews which bang on about excessive grain as a negative - almost always when the grain is natural and has not been enhanced through sharpening or contrast boosting.

I usually look on a couple of forums for a screen-shot or two before I buy.

Rob Strange 21st December 2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 53989)
Well, just finished up watching Heat and I thought it looked and sounded terrific. I think some reviewers are overly critical IMO. It's waaaay better than previous DVD incarnations.

I know. Looks great - the image is darker than the dvds, which may have thrown some of the reviewers off.

Daemonia 21st December 2009 05:25 PM

Yes, I agree, Rob. It's just a shame they screwed up the mastering of the extras. Otherwise, it'd be a near-perfect disc.

Pete 21st December 2009 05:38 PM

Has anyone seen The New York Ripper blu and what is it like?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st December 2009 06:10 PM

Ha!
Knew it wouldn't be long before you caved in Phill!:lol:

Well yesterday I had a Blu Ray marathon whilst watching the snow reaching avalanche proprtions!

2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY-Absoluetly stunning!
You'll feel as if you're actually spinning in space yourself.

BRAVEHEART-Again,looks and sounds fantastic!
The battle scenes rock!

GLADIATOR-The original DVD looked great,so it didn't look THAT much better.....

HANNIBAL-Also looks and sounds stunning!

A question for you guys in the know....
My RED DRAGON disc refused to play...think it needs a firmware update?

nekromantik 21st December 2009 06:30 PM

I just seen Star Trek (2009) and Terminator Salvation on Blu and Star Trek looked stunning, T4 looked good too.
I think ST is the best blu of the year.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st December 2009 06:32 PM

I enjoyed T4 as well.
The Big Arnie '80's cameo was cool!

Watched PUBLIC ENEMIES as well at the weekend.
Unfortunately I found it rather tedious and a waste of Depp and Bale's talents.....:(

Kyle 21st December 2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 54023)
Part 1 is the full unrated version. Parts 2-6 feature the R-rated print. Parts 7 & 8 are also R-rated though some of the cut footage is on the discs as deleted scenes.

yeah cheers vince i didn't have a clue im just happy that they match on my shelves :biggrin:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st December 2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 54031)
That's quite hard to find now isn't it?

Yeah I think it is mate. I managed to find a new a sealed copy for under £15 though - pretty good I thought. This is one of those Naschy's that I think I've seen before but can't remember whether I have or not! :dizzy:

I buy a lot of DVDs that way - only to find that it is a completely different film to what I thought it was! :loco: :lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 21st December 2009 07:39 PM

The Gladiator blu-ray has been widely panned for quality of the transfer.Doesn't matter which review you read,they all say it has major problems and that there isn't much difference between it and the dvd.One review actually said that the PAL superbit edition was better :eek: