Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st July 2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 631669)
Probably be angela lansbury age before I finish them all!

Thought you'd have finished it by now, Treb.

trebor8273 31st July 2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 631670)
Thought you'd have finished it by now, Treb.

Tomorrow then it's off to CeX ;)

gag 31st July 2020 11:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 631634)
Are the two films any good or do they break into song and dance like most Bollywood fare?

Suppose to be excellent won loads of awards, not 100% sure but around 17 /18 and nominated for over 40. it’s not for the faint hearted, loosely based on true stories, About crime politics drugs etc and based I think around 3 crime families over decades, it’s brutal and violent and is 5hrs long that’s why it’s split into 2 films. So as far as I’m aware no they don’t burst into song and dance etc.

Critic Danny Bowes of RogerEbert.com called it one of the most ambitious gangster films ever made, and quite possibly one of the best", writing that it is "worthy of discussion alongside Coppola's first two “Godfather” films, or Leone's “Once Upon a Time in America.

And is ranked in the top 100 films of the 21st century.

The film was theatrically released on 22 June 2012, but was banned in Kuwait and Qatar for violent content.Upon release, Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 1 was critically acclaimed, and won a number of awards. It won for Best Film and Best Director for Kashyap at the 55th Asia-Pacific Film Festival, and won for Best Audiography at the 60th National Film Awards, while Siddiqui won a Special Mention for acting at the same ceremony.[18][19] Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 1 also won four Filmfare Awards, including the Critics Award for Best Film, while Chadda won the Critics Award for Best Actress, at the 58th Filmfare Awards.

g053584398 1st August 2020 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 631713)
Suppose to be excellent won loads of awards, not 100% sure but around 17 /18 and nominated for over 40. it’s not for the faint hearted, loosely based on true stories, About crime politics drugs etc and based I think around 3 crime families over decades, it’s brutal and violent and is 5hrs long that’s why it’s split into 2 films. So as far as I’m aware no they don’t burst into song and dance etc.

Critic Danny Bowes of RogerEbert.com called it one of the most ambitious gangster films ever made, and quite possibly one of the best", writing that it is "worthy of discussion alongside Coppola's first two “Godfather” films, or Leone's “Once Upon a Time in America.

And is ranked in the top 100 films of the 21st century.

The film was theatrically released on 22 June 2012, but was banned in Kuwait and Qatar for violent content.Upon release, Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 1 was critically acclaimed, and won a number of awards. It won for Best Film and Best Director for Kashyap at the 55th Asia-Pacific Film Festival, and won for Best Audiography at the 60th National Film Awards, while Siddiqui won a Special Mention for acting at the same ceremony.[18][19] Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 1 also won four Filmfare Awards, including the Critics Award for Best Film, while Chadda won the Critics Award for Best Actress, at the 58th Filmfare Awards.

Thanks. They sound interesting.

gag 1st August 2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 631714)
Thanks. They sound interesting.

Been after watching it for years, most don’t have English Subtitled language, as MonkeyPedro said the ones that do are rare and go for silly money.

Antropophagus 1st August 2020 08:29 AM

Today's arrivals:

https://thumbs2.imagebam.com/0c/75/d...1350518534.jpg

https://thumbs2.imagebam.com/73/6f/8...1350518584.jpg

SymbioticFunction 1st August 2020 12:47 PM

Three John Carpenter 4K UHD's arrived today. UK copies of Prince of Darkness and They Live (HMV) and the US Christine (UK ebay seller). Had a sneak peek and they look excellent, can't wait to properly watch them.

Pleasingly the standard accompanying blu-ray of Christine works in a region b player (I know it's a bit odd but I like having decent back-up 1080p copies of any UHD that I own). My prior bd copy was the old Twilight Time version.

I've previously bought UK UHD's of Halloween and Escape From New York and a German UHD of The Fog so this means that my Carpenter 4K UHD collection is currently complete. Apparently Universal are releasing The Thing on this format towards the end of the year and I'll be buying that day one.

btw I wish Dario Argento was as well represented in 2160p, all that's available there is Suspiria so far. Courtesy of Blue Underground, there will soon be three Lucio Fulci films on 4K format so it would be nice to see some more Argento releases.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st August 2020 01:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This weeks new arrivals.

trebor8273 1st August 2020 01:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
J.A.G and Taxi from cex, sleepwalkers delivered from music magpie , Mash and I love Lucy from charity shop, heard of Lucy but never seen a single episode be interesting to see if it's as great as it supposed to be , suppose to be the corner stone of all sit coms that followed and often seems to be in the list of greatest sit coms of all time, will see if it's as good as it supposed to be or has aged badly or is overrated garbage.

trebor8273 1st August 2020 02:10 PM

Just ordered beyond the door arrow blu ray set from CeX for £18, be interesting to see if it comes with everything it's supposed too, half expecting it just to be amaray case without book etc, but easy to.return to local store if it is.

Never understood some stores logic of throwing slipcases etc away!