Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree151215Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2021, 05:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't get the hate for Ghostbusters. Although it isn't anywhere near in the same class as the Ivan Reitman film, I thought it was entertaining enough and this was pretty cheap from eBay. Fantastic Beasts is visually stunning with, from memory, a great soundstage, so I was pleased to find a cheap 4K release on eBay and given the cheap Blu-ray I bought a few weeks ago my mum. The Meg was similarly reasonably priced for a fairly new 4K Ultra HD release and I thought the film was fun and would benefit from the better picture and sound quality on this format.

I think I've only seen Blind Date once; I've had the Hollywood DVD release since 2014 and know it's been a long time since I've seen it because I can't remember anything about the film! Darkroom was a blind buy, purely because I have all the others in the Slasher Classics Collection and the synopsis sounds interesting.

Tammy and the T-Rex looks like an oddity, if only for the title because I looked at the disc yesterday and the title which appears on screen is Tanny and the Teenage T-Rex and Denise Richards is credited as playing Tanny. It'll be interesting to listen to the commentary and find out why the title on the packaging and poster artwork doesn't mention Tanny.
RE 'Tanny' I think it's just a typo when they did the titles, she's definitely called Tammy all the way through the film, if I remember right about the comm track the director noticed it on screen and chuckled and said that shows just how little regard the film had after it was made...

Also, I agree about Ghostbusters, it's entertaining fun. It wasn't really trying to be anything more, and like the original version it used some of SNL's biggest stars at the time! They just happened to be woman.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st February 2021, 06:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Arrived today from Amazon. So much for the end of Feb / early March for delivery. Obviously the one i really wanted when i placed the order - the dual format release of The Good Die Young - is the only one not shipped.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8438 (Medium).JPG (78.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 1st February 2021, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gamera set from Amazon and NYPD Blue from ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81ElapLI+5L._AC_SY500_.jpg (29.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg A1Bw625ulrL._AC_SX522_.jpg (48.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:33 PM
Cult Master

20210203_122714.jpg

Cant wait to watch this later its going to look great.
Old 3rd February 2021, 01:05 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 231045

Cant wait to watch this later its going to look great.
Mine's Just arrived too, looking forward to watching it this evening

Old 3rd February 2021, 02:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Arrived from eBay. I’d also been bidding on another 7 or 8 that are missing from my slasher classics but for some crazy reason the auctions all ended at like 2 in the morning and I was outbid while I slept. lol.

Needing another 2 for £15 hmv sale or similar ... when was the last one? Must be due soon surely...

image-2021-02-03-14:54:02-475.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd February 2021, 03:07 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
Arrived from eBay. I’d also been bidding on another 7 or 8 that are missing from my slasher classics but for some crazy reason the auctions all ended at like 2 in the morning and I was outbid while I slept. lol.

Needing another 2 for £15 hmv sale or similar ... when was the last one? Must be due soon surely...

Attachment 231048

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it was the Halloween one! Must be another one soon, but might not be until Easter (early April)
g053584398 and MuckyFunster like this.

Old 3rd February 2021, 03:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

CTHULHU MANSION
FADE TO BLACK
DON'T PANIC
HELLRIDERS
BLOOD THEATRE
BLOOD HOOK

Just thought I'd mention that my VS order, which I made drunkenly about a week ago, forgetting that questions were being raised about the safety of purchases from smaller US retailers who may or may not be in alignment with all the new post-Brexit VAT collection bollox, got through UK customs OK. I was a bit worried about it because I have no idea whether VS have made whichever arrangement with HMRC they're meant to (I suspect not), and things didn't bode well with the USPS tracker saying 'failed delivery' or similar yesterday. But here I am today, sat in front of a boxful of blu-rays.

So I have no idea whether or not it's generally alright to order from smaller non-UK firms who might not have signed up to this VAT-at-source scheme, or whether everyone in the US who sells niche horror DVDs to a small market in the UK is somehow actually completely in tune with all this stuff already, or whether it's just random with customs, or discretionary for the time being, or whether there are other work-arounds or anything else at play (or even if anyone's that bothered). I've had some post Jan 1st orders from WowHD and Allyourmusic through as well, but I thought they might be registered... don't know whether they are or not, just a hunch based on the fact that they're fairly big. Anyway, just thought I'd chip in with my experience, and here's hoping my Diabolik order will do as well when it sends.
Old 3rd February 2021, 06:15 PM
Cult Addict

Couple of deliveries today
IMG_20210203_180459.jpg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 3rd February 2021, 06:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Couple of deliveries today
Attachment 231056

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Nice little haul there, Shaun.

I aim to buy Saint Maude on Friday. I'd quite like to watch it this weekend.

Like this? Share it using the links below!