Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2021 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrived yesterday - my first bought Blu-ray now that i own a blu-ray player - Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes.
+ the Godzilla dvd from Asda. Dvd's look lovely upscaled, the BD player upscales better than my old dvd player which looked good anyway so i'm still happy to pick up dvd's whilst i have a 42" tv.

*I have about 130-150 bd's all told but the one above is the first one bought since getting the player.

nosferatu42 14th April 2021 07:52 AM

Yeah i'm happy with a DVD copy of a lot of films still, especiacially with newer films that have good quality transfers anyway, a lot of stuff looks perfectly decent upscaled.

Blu rays do look really nice though, some black and white stuff looks really crisp, (Black Sunday).

Being brought up on VHS i still find DVDs look good to me a lot of the time.

I've got a 4k tv recently and had to adjust all the settings to actually make the films look right to me, as the motion tracking (?) and whatever was making films look too new and kinda jerky as if shot on digital.

On my freeview box i've got access to a few HD channels but often can't be arsed and watch the SD one anyway.

So what do i know, i'm not bothered about 4k discs at all.

I'm getting old and my eyesight is slowly getting shitter anyway.:rolleyes:

I do notice the difference a lot on games on my PS4 though using the new tv.

I bet you've got a few films on Blu ray though to have a butchers at Dem so that should keep you occupied for a while.:cool:

And also you are now open to looking for non uk Blu only releases, so it's all good.:pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 649750)
Yeah i'm happy with a DVD copy of a lot of films still, especiacially with newer films that have good quality transfers anyway, a lot of stuff looks perfectly decent upscaled.

Blu rays do look really nice though, some black and white stuff looks really crisp, (Black Sunday).

Being brought up on VHS i still find DVDs look good to me a lot of the time.

I've got a 4k tv recently and had to adjust all the settings to actually make the films look right to me, as the motion tracking (?) and whatever was making films look too new and kinda jerky as if shot on digital.

On my freeview box i've got access to a few HD channels but often can't be arsed and watch the SD one anyway.

So what do i know, i'm not bothered about 4k discs at all.

I'm getting old and my eyesight is slowly getting shitter anyway.:rolleyes:

I do notice the difference a lot on games on my PS4 though using the new tv.

I bet you've got a few films on Blu ray though to have a butchers at Dem so that should keep you occupied for a while.:cool:

And also you are now open to looking for non uk Blu only releases, so it's all good.:pop2:

Yes, i too was brought up on vhs so also still think dvd's look great most of the time (Scott's Black Rain is a pile of shite though)

Also to answer the final bit, yes, 130-150 films already on blu but none you'd call 'testers' really as most are sixties and seventies rather than bang up to date movies that will test the sound also. I did give SPECTRE a go last night but that's crap as it's all muted colours and frankly boring as hell.

gag 14th April 2021 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 649748)
Arrived yesterday - my first bought Blu-ray now that i own a blu-ray player - Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes.
+ the Godzilla dvd from Asda. Dvd's look lovely upscaled, the BD player upscales better than my old dvd player which looked good anyway so i'm still happy to pick up dvd's whilst i have a 42" tv.

*I have about 130-150 bd's all told but the one above is the first one bought since getting the player.

Just a suggestion
Go on eBay and type in blu ray then put in lowest price range and be surprised how many are buy now with pp included, most of my recent purchases of blu ray have been under £5,

Scarface
Trainspotting
Goosebumps
Jurassic park trilogy
Rambo
Der Todesking
Dumbo
Noel Clarke kidulthood trilogy .

Are just some of what I’ve bought.

nosferatu42 14th April 2021 08:21 AM

Also if you want to suss out how much difference Blu ray makes you could try both discs from your Blu/dvd combo packs, i know you have a few from seeing what you've posted.;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 649753)
Also if you want to suss out how much difference Blu ray makes you could try both discs from your Blu/dvd combo packs, i know you have a few from seeing what you've posted.;)

I was messing around with the Icon dual format of Hammer's The Mummy yesterday. There's definitely a difference. It's not like vhs-dvd but there is a difference.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2021 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 649752)
Just a suggestion
Go on eBay and type in blu ray then put in lowest price range and be surprised how many are buy now with pp included, most of my recent purchases of blu ray have been under £5,

Jurassic park trilogy

Hmm! I'd forgotten all about these films when thinking of faves. Cheers. I'd like all five though. :nod:

Nordicdusk 14th April 2021 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 232559

Just in.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 649774)

Out of those films, Nordy, i'd rank Stage Fright as the worst and we all know that's a great film.

31 was a disappointment on first viewing but i've since come to really like it.

Night of the Sorcerers is wild and Loreley is an absolute fave of mine.

A fine haul. :clap:

Nordicdusk 14th April 2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 649779)
Out of those films, Nordy, i'd rank Stage Fright as the worst and we all know that's a great film.

31 was a disappointment on first viewing but i've since come to really like it.

Night of the Sorcerers is wild and Loreley is an absolute fave of mine.

A fine haul. :clap:

I have only seen 31 the once so im looking forward to going back. The Scream Factory double bill was a blind buy so im glad to hear that its a winner.