Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th May 2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 651503)
After Dem's review, decided to pick it up and check it out.

Attachment 233043

Hope you enjoy it, Mr.B. :pop2:

MrBarlow 5th May 2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 651505)
Hope you enjoy it, Mr.B. :pop2:

:thankingyou: Dem, I'm sure I will find it a blast :pop2:

Justin101 5th May 2021 01:11 PM

I went to HMV with the intention of buying something, and when I got there just felt like I was buying something for the sake of it and left empty handed and a little disappointed lol. Nothing 'spoke' to me and they didn't even have the new Cannibal Corpse CD (or the latest 88 Films Jackie Chan release).

Some poor guy was getting himself terribly stressed out though because he was looking for Season 3 of Star Trek DS9 and the cashier told him it's out of print and you can only get it in the complete series.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th May 2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 651508)
I went to HMV with the intention of buying something, and when I got there just felt like I was buying something for the sake of it and left empty handed and a little disappointed lol. Nothing 'spoke' to me and they didn't even have the new Cannibal Corpse CD (or the latest 88 Films Jackie Chan release).

Some poor guy was getting himself terribly stressed out though because he was looking for Season 3 of Star Trek DS9 and the cashier told him it's out of print and you can only get it in the complete series.

I'd have bought the new Royal Blood album. I shall probably get it tomorrow when i hit the supermarkets. I like every song i've heard from it so far.

gag 6th May 2021 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nipped into town and went into a charity shop and bought all these for £1, 5 films for a pound, I had a £2 coin and let them keep the other pound change.

Allo allo series 1 & 2
Four lions.
Hereditary
Grim full series 1
Gone girl .

Never actually watched any of them, I saw bits of Allo Allo when was on tv but never properly watched it.

J Harker 6th May 2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 651563)
Nipped into town and went into a charity shop and bought all these for £1, 5 films for a pound, I had a £2 coin and let them keep the other pound change.

Allo allo series 1 & 2

Four lions.

Hereditary

Grim full series 1

Gone girl .

Never actually watched any of them, I saw bits of Allo Allo when was on tv but never properly watched it.

Only one I've seen is Gone Girl which i thought was rubbish.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

gag 6th May 2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 651566)
Only one I've seen is Gone Girl which i thought was rubbish.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I only got it because it was 5 films for a £1 and nothing else interested me, or I already have them, so only got it to round it upto 5.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 651563)

Allo allo series 1 & 2
Four lions.
Hereditary
Grim full series 1
Gone girl .

I really like Four Lions, Hereditary, and Gone Girl. The first is a brilliant black comedy. A film about Islamic extremist and aspiring suicide bombers shouldn't be funny, so it's a mark of the quality screenplay by Chris Morris, Sam Bain, and Jesse Armstrong, Morris's direction, and all the performances, particularly Riz Ahmed and Kayvan Novak that it highlights the insanity of extremism and any religious fanatics who cherry pick from their holy book.

Hereditary is, for me an intelligent and occasionally unsettling look at a family devastated by grief. It features probably Toni Colette's finest performance in any film – it's one of the best central performances in a horror film in the last 50 years. Ari Astor's patient direction evokes Kubrick, Polanski, and Friedkin, with the film being unafraid to let you know its influences but never feeling derivative.

I read Gone Girl before watching the film but understood that Gillian Flynn had made some changes so the screenplay wasn't entirely faithful to her novel. It's brilliantly structured, David Fincher is a smart and accomplished director who makes the most of Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike's acting talents, and I was impressed by the score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. If you haven't read the book, it's a film which you may want to watch and then rewatch soon afterwards because it is equally good on the second (or third or fourth) viewing as the first.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th May 2021 03:47 PM

Strange isn't it that supermarkets stock the dvd of a film but not the Blu-ray even though they sell both formats instore.

Wrong Turn, i'm looking at you here, same goes for Blithe Spirit.

Yet Asda sell both the dvd and blu-ray of newly re-released Van Damme movie Wake of Death from 2004.

Dave Boy 6th May 2021 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 233086