Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nordicdusk 21st May 2021 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 652585)
I have the TV cut off Mallrats to get around to at some point as well. I like having them included as an extra more and more these days, a lot of times they are the first time we got to see a film so it has a nostalgic value. Other times it's just a glimpse into the American TV network mentality.

It got to a point in my early teens when I became more savvy and I noticed in the TV Times film section it would note 'edited for tv' and I'd give it a skip. It only seemed to be ITV that would do it, but they'd be showing something not really suitable for kids at 6pm on a Saturday lol.

I love the TV cut of Repo Man its hilarious.

marvinnashsear 21st May 2021 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 652585)
I have the TV cut off Mallrats to get around to at some point as well. I like having them included as an extra more and more these days, a lot of times they are the first time we got to see a film so it has a nostalgic value. Other times it's just a glimpse into the American TV network mentality.

It got to a point in my early teens when I became more savvy and I noticed in the TV Times film section it would note 'edited for tv' and I'd give it a skip. It only seemed to be ITV that would do it, but they'd be showing something not really suitable for kids at 6pm on a Saturday lol.

I've got quite a few. Mallrats, Fast Times, The Last Detail, RoboCop, Army of Darkness, Repo Man, Halloween II and The Thing. They're quite interesting because in some cases they're very different to the theatrical cut. Halloween II completely changes the fate of several characters and The Thing is ruined completely. I remember the "edited for TV" notes as well. i never bought it but every week I'd look at the Radio Times film section in Morrison's and see what the weeks films would be toned down for. It seems a lifetime ago that you'd get showings of films like Remo : Unarmed and Dangerous on a Saturday or Sunday evening at 7 o'clock on BBC 1. Better days.

Susan Foreman 21st May 2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 652587)
I love the TV cut of Repo Man its hilarious.

The TV edit that famously gave us the euphemistic 'melon farmer' was actually prepared for the BBC by the films director, Alex Cox, after the studio botched its attempt to edit it

"It is always better for the filmmaker to be invited to participate than to be excluded," he said. "Excluding the filmmaker results in what in Liverpool is called a dog's breakfast."

Justin101 21st May 2021 08:34 AM

Is Alex Cox actually from Liverpool because the phrase is a Dog's Dinner :lol:

Justin101 21st May 2021 08:35 AM

Just googled him, he was born on my side of river (Wirral) but that shouldn't excuse him from getting it wrong :)

Nordicdusk 21st May 2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 652592)
Just googled him, he was born on my side of river (Wirral) but that shouldn't excuse him from getting it wrong :)

A solid case for excommunication if you ask me :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2021 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 652542)
Attachment 233347

Pre Ordered from Zavvi

I think Hell Night is good fun – as the popular titles in the Black Label collection can sell out quickly, I've pre-ordered it from 101 Films.

gag 21st May 2021 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All £2

Justin101 21st May 2021 09:47 AM

Nice, £2 for ID4 even better bargain than Music Magpie you were talking about the other week, that's the disc with both versions on as well :pop2:

gag 21st May 2021 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 652602)
Nice, £2 for ID4 even better bargain than Music Magpie you were talking about the other week, that's the disc with both versions on as well :pop2:

It's a alright film don't think it's as great as made out to be.