Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

gag 8th September 2021 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrived today.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th September 2021 05:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Arrived today. The only two releases so far from new UK boutique label Fractured Visions.

Luz: Flower of Evil is a limited edition of 1000 copies and is now sold out on their website whilst Sergio Martino's Silent Action is 3000 copies.

Purists will note the lack of BBFC certs on the front and spine. There is one on the reverse though.

trebor8273 8th September 2021 09:06 PM

Bought star trek movies 1-10 off Apple tv , which was 19.99 and has now added the 4k version of the first 4 films, which is great value at £2 a film more so when the price of the 4 ultra HD films set is £60-80.

Justin101 8th September 2021 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 659055)
Bought star trek movies 1-10 off Apple tv , which was 19.99 and has now added the 4k version of the first 4 films, which is great value at £2 a film more so when the price of the 4 ultra HD films set is £60-70.

Same, been waiting for them to upgrade to 4k and today was the day.

trebor8273 8th September 2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 659059)
Same, been waiting for them to upgrade to 4k and today was the day.

Watching the motion picture and it seems a vast improvement over the old blu ray, can see a lot more detail on the models and we have better colour and skin tones and higher level of detail on stuff. I can understand they didn't release all 10 at once but you think they would of done all the original cast movies together (1-6).

g053584398 9th September 2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 659015)
Arrived today.

I see that you've got the German release just as I have. The Germans release many interesting titles on Blu-ray that don't seem to turn up over here or even in the United States, although I'm not referring to Soylent Green when I say that.

g053584398 9th September 2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659029)
Arrived today. The only two releases so far from new UK boutique label Fractured Visions.

Luz: Flower of Evil is a limited edition of 1000 copies and is now sold out on their website whilst Sergio Martino's Silent Action is 3000 copies.

Purists will note the lack of BBFC certs on the front and spine. There is one on the reverse though.

Silnet Action is a great release with one major caveat: it runs at the incorrect frame rate of 25 frames per second rather than 24.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th September 2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 659116)
Silnet Action is a great release with one major caveat: it runs at the incorrect frame rate of 25 frames per second rather than 24.

Which means what exactly? It's too fast?

Nowhere did it mention this when i was reading reviews on various websites of the release.

Have you got it?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th September 2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659127)

Nowhere did it mention this when i was reading reviews on various websites of the release.

Have you got it?

The correct frame rate for film is 24 frames per second. For some reason, PAL DVDs (usually regions 2 and 4) run at 25 frames per second. This means they play incrementally faster than NTSC DVDs or Blu-ray discs, giving them a shorter running time.

It's sometimes impossible to tell – I can't think of a moment where I've noticed the extra frame rate. That said, I always try to get releases with the correct frame rate because you're then watching what the director intended and what was originally filmed or animated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtj4n...=Killamarshian

g053584398 9th September 2021 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 659127)

Have you got it?

Yes I've got it and I can confirm that is the case because my player tells me so, plus you can work that out when you compare the running time to the original length of the film.

To be honest if I hadn't known about it in advance I wouldn't have noticed, just like I never noticed the difference in speeds between US and European DVDs.

It is still a good release, but it loses points for that. It sounds as though the upcoming German Blu-ray release of Island of the Fishmen is going to suffer from the same issue sadly.