Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 140927)
Picked this up for 1.99 Euro new,just hope it's any good. ;)

A Scanner Darkly (2006) (Warner)

I quite liked it, b.

It's a semi-autobiographical film from Philip K. Dick (best known for bringing us the Blade Runner).

It's heavily doused in drug related paranoia, sort of a Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas meets Orwell's 1984 for modern times.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 140949)
Definitely. Anyone who has seen the Eureka release of Fritz Lang's M, for example will testify to that!

Exactly. The same goes for things like Sunrise, Metropolis and (I hope) Nosferatu, a title I would absolutely love to see Eureka released on Blu-ray.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 140955)
Exactly. The same goes for things like Sunrise, Metropolis and (I hope) Nosferatu, a title I would absolutely love to see Eureka released on Blu-ray.

Never thought you'd be a fan of Nosferatu, mate. ;)

bdc 5th April 2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 140953)
I quite liked it, b.

It's a semi-autobiographical film from Philip K. Dick (best known for bringing us the Blade Runner).

It's heavily doused in drug related paranoia, sort of a Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas meets Orwell's 1984 for modern times.

Sounds interesting BE,I've been wanting to pick this up and couldn't resist for that price... ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 07:44 PM

I also really liked A Scanner Darkly as it stays pretty faithful to the book and the rotoscoping that Richard Linklater uses is much better than in Waking Life, which made me feel a bit nauseous! There are excellent performances by Keanu Reeves and Woody Harrelson and the whole thing is a brilliant trip into drug abuse and paranoia.

bdc 5th April 2011 07:52 PM

Will have to give it a spin asap Nos. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 140957)
Never thought you'd be a fan of Nosferatu, mate. ;)

Yeah, it's one of those guilty pleasures that I try to keep secret but I have a tendency to blurt it out every now and then!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th April 2011 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really like the look of this......should have picked it up today......

Leman 6th April 2011 12:06 AM

Bonkers list time of an order I placed a couple of days ago and has slowly started shipping out :

Criterion Collection: Jigoku [DVD]
Criterion Collection: Kwaidan [DVD]
Night Of The Living Dead [Blu-ray] (thankfully I came here before deciding which one to finally go for :p)
Tokyo Zombie [DVD]
Blood On Satan's Claw - Digitally Remastered Widescreen Edition [DVD]
Carnival Of Souls [DVD]
The Innocents [Blu-ray]
Martin - Special Edition [DVD]
Dead Girl [DVD]
Terror at The Opera [DVD]
Two Evil Eyes [DVD]
Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny and Girly - Digitally Remastered [DVD]
Picnic At Hanging Rock - The Director's Cut [Blu-ray]
Tales from the Crypt [DVD]
Monkey Shines [DVD]
The Haunting [DVD]
The Ultimate Hammer Collection (21 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
The House With Laughing Windows [DVD]
Black Cat [DVD]
Short Night of Glass Dolls [DVD]
Shock Waves [DVD]

Well thats me back to being completely broke again. Still the box should be the most amazing arrival I've had in quite some time! Theres 4 books in with the order aswell, BPRD 1, Nightmare Movies Redux, DvD Delirium 2 Redux and The Illustrated History of the Undead!

I blame this place as my cart already has 5 discs sitting in it already.:eek:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th April 2011 07:25 AM

That's some good shopping -- the 21 disc Hammer Collection will keep you going for some time and is really something I should go through again, re-watching all the films.

Like you say, there is something about this place that makes you spend money as there are so many recommendations were so many films that you want to buy all of them!