Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

gag 26th October 2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 662255)
The Sentinel is currently £8 on Blu on Amazon.

There is another film with the same title. A very enjoyable thriller starring Michael Douglas and Keifer Sutherland from 2006 so it wasn't necessarily the Winner film Shaun bought.

£8 on blu ray think I’ll order that, thanks

marvinnashsear 26th October 2021 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 662120)
It doesn't seem to be getting reported anywhere, but according to Melon Farmers this new Blu-Ray release of the 'Scream' trilogy actually contains the uncut directors version of the first film - previously releases have been the edited theatrical one

Apparently this image of a gutting...

...and this image of a head crushing...

...are included in the new release but have never appeared before

Whoever it is that's mentioned on Melonfarmers says it's the box set from 2020 that he has. Still no idea if what he says is true or not but he doesn't seem to be talking about the most recent release.

trebor8273 27th October 2021 04:27 PM

Babylon 5 remastered complete series off itunes.

Edit

Anyone know why it's 4:3 ration now and not 16.19 like dvd?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th October 2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 662344)
Babylon 5 remastered complete series off itunes.

Edit

Anyone know why it's 4:3 ration now and not 16.19 like dvd?

From DVD Compare, about the first season:

General Note:
Because the Babylon 5 visual-effects shots were archived as 4:3 NTSC and the purely live-action shots were archived as High-Definition, there is a noticeable drop in quality whenever a shot containing CGI occurs (since the 4:3 NTSC image had to be blown up to fill and cropped to fill the 1.78:1 DVD). This drop in quality is much worse on PAL DVDs (were the shots had to be then transformed to PAL).
Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Babylon 5: Season 1 (TV) (1993)

I think that means the only way to have a high definition picture is to use the same aspect ratio as the visual effects.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th October 2021 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 662375)
From DVD Compare, about the first season:

General Note:
Because the Babylon 5 visual-effects shots were archived as 4:3 NTSC and the purely live-action shots were archived as High-Definition, there is a noticeable drop in quality whenever a shot containing CGI occurs (since the 4:3 NTSC image had to be blown up to fill and cropped to fill the 1.78:1 DVD). This drop in quality is much worse on PAL DVDs (were the shots had to be then transformed to PAL).
Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Babylon 5: Season 1 (TV) (1993)

I think that means the only way to have a high definition picture is to use the same aspect ratio as the visual effects.

Additionally, the show was originally broadcast in 1.33:1 (4:3), so the Blu-ray/HD stream has the original aspect ratio.

"Now for the most surprising piece of news... Engadget has confirmed that Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has now completed a six-year effort to upgrade the classic 1990s J. Michael Straczynski science fiction TV series Babylon 5 for the digital age. Babylon 5 Remastered is now available for viewing on HBO Max, and it’s also available for download on iTunes and Amazon. The new HD presentation includes all five seasons of the show with live action film elements scanned in 4K from the original camera negative, digitally cleaned and properly color graded, with VFX upsampled from the original SD. The entire series is available in its original 4x3 broadcast format. The 1998 version of the series’ original pilot film, The Gathering, has also been included, though it’s unremastered and so in 16x9 (as the original film elements were lost during the Northridge earthquake in 1994)."

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/012621-1430

MrBarlow 29th October 2021 12:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This weeks purchases

Attachment 237309 Attachment 237310

J Harker 29th October 2021 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrived this afternoon from Powerhouse Indicator.
Attachment 237311

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th October 2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 662476)
Arrived this afternoon from Powerhouse Indicator.
Attachment 237311

Good to know they are actually shipping then.

Not a dickie bird on my order yet, placed last Friday.

J Harker 29th October 2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 662486)
Good to know they are actually shipping then.

Not a dickie bird on my order yet, placed last Friday.

That's when I ordered Dem. Was shipped on Wednesday.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

J Harker 29th October 2021 03:57 PM

With the sale extended I can pick up a few more Monday morning.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk