Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demoncrat 26th January 2022 07:05 PM

Just 2 today. Both UK (dvds)

Scotland The What! - The Final Fling

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

iank 27th January 2022 01:49 AM

Arrived:

https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...g?t=1383306193

SymbioticFunction 27th January 2022 02:46 PM

A 4K UHD of Ghostbusters Afterlife arrived today. Looking forward to revisiting it and showing it to my wife (who hasn't seen it yet). I very much liked it and it completes my Ghostbusters 4K UHD collection (I even own the 2016 film). btw Sometimes I wonder if I should also place my blu-ray of Evolution into my Ghostbusters section.

Other recent pickups are a blu-ray of Exodus Gods and Kings for 1.50 from Cex and a 2 pound spend on a blu-ray of Neil Marshall's Doomsday, also from Cex.

Doomsday is a film that pretty much torments me, I can honestly never decide if it's good fun or a complete disaster that hurt Marshall's career path (after he had delivered the incredible Descent film). Thought I'd give it another chance, watching on my own as my partner absolutely hates it!

I've heard nothing good about the Ridley Scott film but I wanted to see it for myself and it was cheap. Doesn't hurt that disc reviews described picture and sound as being reference quality. My wife is nuts about Egyptology so I'll also be curious to see what she makes of it. :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th January 2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 666230)
Doomsday is a film that pretty much torments me, I can honestly never decide if it's good fun or a complete disaster that hurt Marshall's career path (after he had delivered the incredible Descent film). Thought I'd give it another chance, watching on my own as my partner absolutely hates it!

As he was called on at late notice to direct the Game of Thrones episode 'Blackwater' and would go on to receive an Emmy nomination for directing 'The Watchers on the Wall' two years later, Neil Marshall's career path doesn't seem to have been badly hit by Doomsday.

I thought Centurion (2010) was okay, but Hellboy (2019) was downright awful. (I haven't seen The Reckoning (2020) yet.)

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th January 2022 10:56 PM

I think Doomsday is excellent. The Reckoning was good. Low budget but good. Marshall's as much a producer these days as director. He's exec producer on Lost in Space the tv series that's been running since 2018.

J Harker 27th January 2022 11:39 PM

Neil Marshall was one of my favourite directors, his first four films are all superb in there own way. Dog Soldiers is still his masterpiece for me despite its rough and ready approach. I've yet to see his last two, Hellboy or The Reckoning. I love Del Toro's Hellboy films and I've yet to hear a good word about Marshalls take. The Reckoning does interest me but I'm surprised that it seems to have gone under the radar a bit.

SymbioticFunction 28th January 2022 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 666254)
I love Del Toro's Hellboy films and I've yet to hear a good word about Marshalls take.

Some of Marshall's Hellboy is actually quite good (for example, the baba yaga witch with her chicken legged home and the giant monsters at the finale). And David Harbour is good in the title role. But it's terribly uneven and doesn't compare well to the two prior films. Also Milla Jovovich gives a pretty bad performance. I was much easier going on Marshall's Hellboy on a second viewing and actually think it's worth me keeping as a part of my collection. It's certainly worth checking out as it is usually being sold at a cheap price.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2022 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 666261)
Some of Marshall's Hellboy is actually quite good (for example, the baba yaga witch with her chicken legged home and the giant monsters at the finale). And David Harbour is good in the title role. But it's terribly uneven and doesn't compare well to the two prior films. Also Milla Jovovich gives a pretty bad performance. I was much easier going on Marshall's Hellboy on a second viewing and actually think it's worth me keeping as a part of my collection. It's certainly worth checking out as it is usually being sold at a cheap price.

I think I paid 2.99 for the Blu-ray. I've seen it once and have kept it around by my TV because I want to see how it stands up to a second viewing and whether I was overly harsh/critical when I saw it the first time.

J Harker 28th January 2022 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 666269)
I think I paid 2.99 for the Blu-ray. I've seen it once and have kept it around by my TV because I want to see how it stands up to a second viewing and whether I was overly harsh/critical when I saw it the first time.

It's often around two quid in cex.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Justin101 28th January 2022 11:44 AM

I bought it for some really low price brand new on Amazon but still haven't got around to watching it, I feel like it was less than 2 and with prime delivery! Perhaps one for this weekend.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.