Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Kyle 28th December 2009 02:40 PM

just spent some of my xmas money on these

cradle will fall
feast 2
feast 3
in a glass cage
the deaths of ian stone
sick girl
shiri
cypher
scarface
the wig
madmax 2
brazil
trick r treat
memories of murder
babel
hardware
taken

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th December 2009 02:49 PM

Well there you go.The official PS3 magazine reviewer.Probably a spotty faced yoof that had never heard of Clint Eastwood before someone handed him the blu-rays and told him to review these ancient,un-hip films :noidea:

pedromonkey 28th December 2009 04:09 PM

hey bs, yeah i have met her, i've served her a few times, she uses her married name instead of jones, she's really nice. She does looks older without make up.

just spent some Xmas cash on these...

FROM CEX

Childs play 4.00
The Hunger 2.00
Diagnosis Death 4.00

FROM HMV

Maniac Cop 3.00
Razorback 2.00
Horror Express 3.00
Undead or Alive 5.00
Return of the living dead Part II 3.00
Let the Right One In 8.00

Good days shopping me thinks....:bananasuit:+9

Daemonia 28th December 2009 04:43 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head there, steveoj. It seems that some people are more obsessive of the technology than those funny things called 'films' that it's designed to display. ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th December 2009 05:29 PM

:mad:He's talking utter pish,this reviewer.
Should've gone to Specsavers.
As you say Eastwood and Dirty Harry will be uncool and unhip to this clown.

He'd rather be watching DIRTY HARRIET TAKES A MAGNUM SIZED ENFORCER.....:heh:

Sam 28th December 2009 09:48 PM

Watched a few Blu Rays recently (all Christmas presents :cool:):-

Bronson - good film but a lot of (intentional) grain means it probably isn't worth the upgrade if you already have it on DVD

Rambo First Blood - an incredible transfer for a film of its age, a testament to what the format can do in my opinion ... great stuff!

Watchmen - looked great (as you'd expect for such a recent film).

Hardware - nice transfer for another old(ish) film but never seen it on other formats to compare.

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th December 2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 55095)
He'd rather be watching DIRTY HARRIET TAKES A MAGNUM SIZED ENFORCER.....:heh:

:eek: So would I :biggrin::lol:

BioZombie 28th December 2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 55004)
True Romance looks really good in blu.Some reviewers were mistaking the soft focus of the image for DNR but it's just the way it was filmed.

Glad to hear this stevoj I had advoided it due to a bad review I read. Its one of my top 3 films of all times and I will now definittely be picking this up on blu-ray! :pop2:

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th December 2009 10:54 PM

Make no mistake,it isn't the greatest looking blu-ray out there but it's the best TR has ever looked and when you know that the film has always had a very soft look to it,you can appreciate it for what it is.Most times you have to see a disc for yourself and make up your own mind.

Here's part of a positive review for the disc I found at Hometheaterforum...

For True Romance, Scott and cinematographer Jeffrey Kimball created the visual equivalent of
the private inner world that Clarence and Alabama share and that briefly envelops everyone they
encounter, for good or ill (mostly the latter, since true romance is a powerful, destructive force).
Nothing ever looks quite real, but if you pay attention to almost any frame in which Alabama
appears, she will usually be the most vivid thing in it.

So what does this mean for the video image? When the film starts, you may be tempted to say,
"Meh!", because the image doesn't leap off the screen and shout, "Look at me!" But as the film
progresses, you should start noticing the wealth of tiny details: Alabama's jewelry, the individual
links in the chain around Clarence's neck, the elaborate make-up that transformed Gary Oldman
into Drexl. Then there's the rock-solid steadiness of the image during the rapidly edited eruptions
of violence - scenes that hold up better on this Blu-ray than any other video version to date,
because it conveys enough visual information for the cuts to make as much narrative sense as
they did when I saw the film projected theatrically.

I've seen every video version of this film since laserdisc, and, to paraphrase Walken's Don
Vincenzo, if you know them like you know your own face, you can't be fooled: This is a great
transfer.

vincenzo 28th December 2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 55149)
and, to paraphrase Walken's Don Vincenzo, if you know them like you know your own face, you can't be fooled:

So buy it or you sleep wid da fishes. :hat: