Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th June 2011 03:34 PM

Great selection of discs, Paul. I own the R1 30th anniversary edition of Jaws and it is a great disc with a superb accompanying booklet. Is that the one you bought?

Pete 19th June 2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 159007)
Glad to hear both those films (I've pre-ordered both) are of such excellent quality Nos!

I just bought DARK CITY from cex for £8. Considering its OOP, thats a very good price compared to the £40+ listings on amazon marketplace and the £18 on zavvi. I believe the US version is region locked too so that wasn't an option.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

There is one in my local CEX for £12. I hope it's still there tomorrow.

Just watched the Mill Creek blu of the spaghetti western THE LAST GUN and it was ok, nothing special and a far cry from Sergio Bergonzelli's later work. The pq was pretty good - there where lots of scratches and scuffs but generally it was decent, especially considering how obscure a film it was. No complaints here.

And last night I watched the Severin blu of SANTA SANGRE. I'd never seen it before and I have to say it was excellent, totally bizarre. Loved it! I heard people complain about the blu-ray transfer but I don't know why because it looked superb. I really don't get those people. Do they buy blu-rays to enjoy the film or to just pick up on any teeny tiny flaw they find?

oaxaca 19th June 2011 04:01 PM

That spaghetti sounds interesting Pete, I'll have to check that out.

Make sure you pay no more than £8 tomorrow for DARK CITY in cex as the official online price is now £8. If you tell them that then they will only charge you £8 :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 159041)
There is one in my local CEX for £12. I hope it's still there tomorrow.

Just watched the Mill Creek blu of the spaghetti western THE LAST GUN and it was ok, nothing special and a far cry from Sergio Bergonzelli's later work. The pq was pretty good - there where lots of scratches and scuffs but generally it was decent, especially considering how obscure a film it was. No complaints here.

And last night I watched the Severin blu of SANTA SANGRE. I'd never seen it before and I have to say it was excellent, totally bizarre. Loved it! I heard people complain about the blu-ray transfer but I don't know why because it looked superb. I really don't get those people. Do they buy blu-rays to enjoy the film or to just pick up on any teeny tiny flaw they find?

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th June 2011 04:10 PM

My cousin accidentally bought 2 copies of the Planet Of The Apes boxset from Play, so I've kindly agreed to buy his extra copy. Just need to order the US blu-ray of Battle, for the extended version now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete 19th June 2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 159049)
That spaghetti sounds interesting Pete, I'll have to check that out.

Make sure you pay no more than £8 tomorrow for DARK CITY in cex as the official online price is now £8. If you tell them that then they will only charge you £8 :)

Oh, I didn't know you could do that. cheers! :)

SShaw 19th June 2011 05:17 PM

I bought a copy of the new Scanners BR while out shopping yesterday. A quick look suggests the transfer is not great, but I would imagine we are unlikely to see anything significantly better for this film. Will watch it later tonight. Also ordered a bunch of Arrow and Shameless DVD's and BR's that I will pick up when I pass through the UK next weekend.

PaulD 19th June 2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust (Post 159004)
What does the Jaws 30th Anniversary contain?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 159039)
Great selection of discs, Paul. I own the R1 30th anniversary edition of Jaws and it is a great disc with a superb accompanying booklet. Is that the one you bought?

It's the Region 2 disc. Only cost about £3.50 on Play and contains the following:

* Deleted scenes
* Outtakes
* 'A Look Inside Jaws': a behind the scenes documentary (2 hours!)
* 'From The Set': an interview with Steven Spielberg from 1974
* 'Shark Facts': learn more about this fearsome animal with an interactive 3D Great White shark
* Stills gallery
* Storyboard to finished film comparison (Opening credits, Kintner boy, Hooper's new future, Original ending)

No mention of a booklet but nevermind. Spirits of the Dead was only £8.99 an Amazon and I think Amer was £6.99 for nayone interested - pretty good prices for blurays!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th June 2011 06:03 PM

If you have any doubts about whether to buy Don't Look Now, cast them aside -it's superb. Maybe my review will convince you?

Don't Look Now Blu-ray Review

Pete 19th June 2011 06:15 PM

Optimum's blu-rays seen to be getting better with each release. Hope they keep it up.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th June 2011 06:21 PM

Very true. Although I have (at least) another seven reviews to write before next Monday, I'll try and find time to review Witchfinder General. However, because I'll be so busy watching review discs and those from Lovefilm, it may have to wait until the week after!