Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th June 2011 06:28 PM

That looks like the same Jaws DVD except without the thick booklet.

Excellent prices for Amer and Spirits of the Dead -- if I didn't already own them, I'd buy them without any hesitation.

platostotal 19th June 2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 158913)
just ordered these classic crime movies...

The Killer Elite
Prime Cut
Thief

Quite excellent choices, my order of watch would be 'Prime', 'Killer' and 'Thief' a good progression thru 70s to 80s tough gritty thrillers. And wait to you hear Tangerine Dream in 'Thief'. God, that's a good triple-bill.:)

nekromantik 19th June 2011 06:56 PM

I agree that Optimum have stepped up and are releasing good discs but sadly cant say the same about Momentum. Their next 3 releases inc Insidious and Limitless are in 1080i only.

Now both of these movies are both new movies so there is no excuse for a 1080i transfer.

platostotal 19th June 2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 159072)
I agree that Optimum have stepped up and are releasing good discs but sadly cant say the same about Momentum. Their next 3 releases inc Insidious and Limitless are in 1080i only.

Now both of these movies are both new movies so there is no excuse for a 1080i transfer.

Not too bothered by 'Limitless' but why oh why 'Insidious', in fact why do that at all. Surely 1080p/1080i transfer costs roughly the same? Funny thing is I have a native 720p screen but can tell when I'm watching 1080p source(Planet Earth bonus disc is 1080i) And the difference is noticeable. Might just be the old 'wait for the special edition' for an extra £30 to get 'p'. I'll still buy it tho.

pedromonkey 19th June 2011 08:47 PM

i love these gritty 70s tough guy crime movies. Seven Ups is a great one and i'd been meaning to pick these up for a while, i was also going to get john Wayne's McQ and Brannigan but went with those 3 instead...

Filmetc 19th June 2011 09:33 PM

Big fan of Don't Look Now. I agree that Optimum are getting better; particularly the StudioCanal Collection.

Does anyone own The Elephant Man Blu-Ray they brought out? Recommended?

nekromantik 19th June 2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 159083)
Not too bothered by 'Limitless' but why oh why 'Insidious', in fact why do that at all. Surely 1080p/1080i transfer costs roughly the same? Funny thing is I have a native 720p screen but can tell when I'm watching 1080p source(Planet Earth bonus disc is 1080i) And the difference is noticeable. Might just be the old 'wait for the special edition' for an extra £30 to get 'p'. I'll still buy it tho.

I doubt its anything to do with costs.
Im getting US disc of Insidious even if UK was 1080P as its out next month :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th June 2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filmetc (Post 159111)
Does anyone own The Elephant Man Blu-Ray they brought out? Recommended?

I have it and it's never looked better. The extra features are more or less the same as the previous DVD release, but it's worth buying for the superb AV quality which really brings out the great monochrome photography by Freddie Francis.

For what it's worth, here's my review:

The Elephant Man Blu-ray

bdc 20th June 2011 10:58 AM

Received... :)

Marcy (1969) (Code Red)
Teenage Hitch-hikers (1975) (Code Red/Exploitation Digital)

platostotal 20th June 2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 159100)
i love these gritty 70s tough guy crime movies. Seven Ups is a great one and i'd been meaning to pick these up for a while, i was also going to get john Wayne's McQ and Brannigan but went with those 3 instead...

Maybe the 'Duke' Wayne's overt politics kept studios away in the 70s, he was a natch for tough cop thrillers but only made a couple. Easier to put him in westerns, mordern 70s Vietnam America found him a tough sell.