Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th June 2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filmetc (Post 161761)
Was going to buy Tenebrae at HMV until I saw the price...

...wait for it...

£28!

:eek:

Yeah,painful!

keirarts 29th June 2011 11:23 PM

incidentally I call BS on dvdbeaver.

They give the thumbs up to the blu-ray. Sorry but their totally wrong.

InDogWeTrust 30th June 2011 05:17 AM

If anyone here is an eBay buyer I recommend you check this seller.
jayandmarie | eBay
They have a bunch of DVDs and CDs starting at 1cent US.
Note that all the DVDs are Region 1.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th June 2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 161769)
Just watched the blu-underground Blu-ray of maniac....

utter rubbish.

Not the film mind, I already own the supurb anchor bay tin, I love the film, but be warned consumers the transfer is an umittegated disaster.

Its far to soft, some scenes look blurred and grainy, when I put the dvd in to compare the anchor bay release was much much better.

Stick to the dvd with this one folks..:doh:

I must be one of the few that had no problems with the Blu.

Yes, it's grain heavy and grimy, but, imo, this is how the film should look. It was a definite improvement over the DVD, and will probably never look better.

But that just demonstrates how a release can divide opinion so greatly.

keirarts 30th June 2011 08:27 AM

I wasn't expecting the film to look pristine. I own BU's releases of manchester mourge and the prowler, both have plenty of grain on the image.

I think perhaps the film has been TOO enhanced, the dvd on upscale offers a much better picture quality, not as bright and everything appears in focus.

A lot of the arrow detractors where linking dvdbeaver as the ultimate source on weather a blu-ray was good or not, on this releases they are totally wrong...

literally comparing the dvd version immediately afterwards on the same hardware the image on the dvd looked sharper with less grain and the detail in the picture was clearer.

I dont know if its just that a poor job has been done with the transfer (Texas chainsaw massacre looks fantastic, and thats from similarly dubious source materials, and shows the damage in the image) or that the film is a case of a film not being suited to the format (though even metropolis, the terror, witchfinder general to name a few benefit from blu-ray) either way for me this is the first major dissapointment with the format.

Paul@TheOverlook 30th June 2011 08:42 AM

Ian Dury biopic SEX AND DRUGS AND ROCK AND ROLL - certainly one of the better entries in the recent rush of musician life stories. Andy Serkis is excellent too. Entertainment in Video's Blu-ray is a nice AV presentation.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th June 2011 08:53 AM

I've just had confirmation e-mails from Planet Axel saying Zombie Holocaust and Nightmare have been shipped -- probably the best news I've had in recent weeks!

nekromantik 30th June 2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 161817)
I've just had confirmation e-mails from Planet Axel saying Zombie Holocaust and Nightmare have been shipped -- probably the best news I've had in recent weeks!

ditto my copy of nightmare shipped also!
Hope I get it by next Friday!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th June 2011 02:43 PM

As always: the sooner, the better!

Prince_Vajda 30th June 2011 04:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pre-ordered four real beauties today.

Greetings!