Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Sam 28th November 2009 06:15 PM

I think I'll be taking a punt on the Optimum release as well based on this (how fickle I am :laugh:) At least I know to avoid the Network edition anyway.

Gojirosan 28th November 2009 07:15 PM

The Hard Gore disk of Hitch Hike To Hell turned up today. Once again, I don't really remember ordering it. I recently ordered Hitch-Hike, so maybe this caught my eye at the same time!

The bumpf with it indicates that I paid (literally) pennies for it! So even if it's rubbish then...cool!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th November 2009 07:18 PM

I too heard the NETWORK disc was woeful.
At seven quid,the Optimum disc is well worth a punt.
Better artwork as well.;)

pedromonkey 30th November 2009 06:05 PM

recieved Blue Underground's SHOCKWAVES today, never seen it looking foward to watching it on friday when i have a day off. gonna start the day with a first
viewing of Silent Night Deadly night, Followed by Shockwaves, ending with Bronx Warriors....a good day of film viewing.....oh and it's payday so more dvds to find shelf space for.....woooooooowhooo!!!!!!!!!

Kyle 30th November 2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 50692)
Sorry mate - I thought you'd seen it before! :laugh:

ive seen it and its pretty good, well worth a watch!

i got these all for £6

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2.../th_erx194.jpghttp://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...-red-shoes.jpghttp://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...01LZZZZZZZ.jpg

pedromonkey 30th November 2009 06:23 PM

HMV.co.uk are selling shameless titles for 4.99 Free P+P.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th November 2009 06:51 PM

A bargain certainly.......

My Code Red MESSIAH OF EVIL arrived today......:bunny:

BioZombie 30th November 2009 07:49 PM

I just watched Resevoir Dogs again on Blu-Ray and as always it totally floored me. Its one of those films that I when I think about watching I think that it cant be as good as I remember but it always is.
One of the scenes where Tim Roth is learning his 'Kermode Story' he is stood in front of a wall filled with grafitti. On the BR you can read every word on the wall.
The DTS HD audio is also fantastic, whenever one of the songs kicks in you are totally surronded by the music and it makes you feel like you're in the film. I escecially love the intro sequence with the 'Dogs' walking down the street.
I now cant wait to see Pulp Fiction on Blu-Ray. This is totally the way films were made to be watched :pop2:

Daemonia 1st December 2009 12:38 AM

Totally agree, BZ. The Blu-ray of Reservoir Dogs was stunning - it really was like seeing it for the first time!

42ndStreetFreak 1st December 2009 07:29 AM

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" - Okay.....I know.....

"Manhunt" ('Rovdyr')

Gojirosan 1st December 2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 50945)
A bargain certainly.......

My Code Red MESSIAH OF EVIL arrived today......:bunny:

ENJOY!

I am quite entranced by the film!

Vampix 1st December 2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 50688)
AWE has just released / is about to release Gwendoline.

Also loops, I've always meant to watch Castle Freak - is it any good? :poke:

I quite like Castle Freak, there's a scene in the film although not all that nasty always makes me wince when I watch it.I've got the Full Moon disc.

DeadAlive 1st December 2009 11:02 PM

Picked up the double disc of "Near Dark" for the rediculous price of 99p from my local Cash Generator. Looks practically new too. :banana:

Pete 1st December 2009 11:04 PM

I wish my local Cash Generator had bargains like that:(.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st December 2009 11:29 PM

I watched the remake of LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT tonight.
The rape scene was ugly,but I thought the film as a whole fared rather well,and was not as intense as Craven's original.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st December 2009 11:43 PM

On a Blaxploitation roll just now.I've ordered.....

ABBY
DR BLACK MR HYDE
BLACKENSTEIN
:laugh:

vincenzo 2nd December 2009 10:30 AM

Great choice there Reaps. :nod:

Daemonia 2nd December 2009 02:54 PM

Blackenstein is...well...you'll see. :laugh:

vincenzo 2nd December 2009 03:34 PM

As William Gaunt said in episode 1 of The Champions it's "Different.... very different".... http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0194.gif

Sam 2nd December 2009 06:17 PM

I watched Apocalypto last night, which I thought was a great film and looked amazing on Blu Ray. Never seen it before and bizarrely, some of it reminded me of a Deodato film ... coming to think of it, has anyone ever seen Deodato and Mel Gibson in the same room? :tongue1:

kevxxx1 2nd December 2009 09:02 PM

It is like Deodato had directed The Naked Prey... ;)

Pete 3rd December 2009 01:54 PM

The X-Rated Kult Joe D'amato DVD's that i won on e-bay arrived this morning:

Orgasmo Nero
Orgasmo Nero 3 - Voodo Baby

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd December 2009 07:45 PM

Gonna give Kubrick's THE SHINING a whirl tonight....:nod:

Rob Strange 3rd December 2009 09:11 PM

The Shining has a really, really good transfer. I just watched it last night.

Will you watch the International or US cut?

pedromonkey 3rd December 2009 11:43 PM

i was just wondering what you people actually do for a living because i find that i spend a lot on dvd's but you guys seem to be the kings of importing really rare stuff, i mean some of the X-rated Kult stuff sells for a hefty price...

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 3rd December 2009 11:51 PM

I just this minute ordered Terror in Tiny Town - a western....with midgets! :woot:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th December 2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 51412)
i was just wondering what you people actually do for a living because i find that i spend a lot on dvd's but you guys seem to be the kings of importing really rare stuff, i mean some of the X-rated Kult stuff sells for a hefty price...

I rob banks for a living to fund my X-Rated Kult habit mate! :lol:

Daemonia 4th December 2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 51358)
Gonna give Kubrick's THE SHINING a whirl tonight....:nod:

Is that the Region A disc with the extended cut on it? Let us know how it is, I've got my eye on that one (and can you confirm it's an 'all region' disc, please!).

I gotta say it, I'm loving Blu-ray. By and large the film transfers are terrific and I'm enjoying the thrill of starting a new collection. :)

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th December 2009 11:35 AM

All UK and US Warner blu-rays are region free Daemonia :)

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th December 2009 12:17 PM

Well i'm between jobs at the moment but I am/was in engineering/manufacturing and I spend far too much on dvds.I've seen myself spending upwards of £150 a week sometimes but I've had to scale back dramatically recently and be more selective with my purchases.Bad times :(

Daemonia 4th December 2009 12:41 PM

Nice one, cheers for that, steveoj. You can tell I'm new to this Blu-thingy, can't you? :D

I'm off to grab that Creepshow Blu-ray then!

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th December 2009 12:46 PM

This is a good site Daemonia.A pretty up to date lisst of bluray's from differnt regions and whether or not theare region free

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Rob Strange 4th December 2009 02:47 PM

I've both discs, but I think I prefer the UK one, to be honest. The Shining is among my very favourite films, but I think Kubrick improved the film slightly by tightening it.

I'm really glad that Warners released Kubrick's international cut on blu ray. I think I read that it was Kubrick's prefered version - I do know that he only allowed the shorter cut to be released outside of the US, which would indicate as much.

The PQ/SQ is exactly the same on both discs, btw.

pedromonkey 4th December 2009 03:46 PM

I got paid today so went on a bit of dvd trip, here's what i got....

from HMV
1. Hardware 7.00
2. Designated Victim (shameless) 6.00
3. My dear Killer (shameless) 6.00

from CEX
1. Election (johnny To movie) 4.00
2. A better Tomorrow Tin edition 6.00

from D'VYNAL RECORDS ( a small independant store)
1. Death Wish
2. Blood Sabath
3. Wait until dark

all three for 10.00

not a bad day's shopping......:chainsaw:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th December 2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 51500)
I got paid today so went on a bit of dvd trip, here's what i got....

from HMV
1. Hardware 7.00
2. Designated Victim (shameless) 6.00
3. My dear Killer (shameless) 6.00

from CEX
1. Election (johnny To movie) 4.00
2. A better Tomorrow Tin edition 6.00

from D'VYNAL RECORDS ( a small independant store)
1. Death Wish
2. Blood Sabath
3. Wait until dark

all three for 10.00

not a bad day's shopping......:chainsaw:

Not bad at all! :cool:

DeadAlive 5th December 2009 11:59 AM

Picked up another couple of DVDs dirt cheap from my local Cash Generator:-
Bubba Ho Tep
Double Vision
:dance:

Daemonia 5th December 2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 51470)
This is a good site Daemonia.A pretty up to date lisst of bluray's from differnt regions and whether or not theare region free

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Good stuff, I'll keep that webpage bookmarked. very useful. :)

As for Kubrick's The Shining, I prefer the longer cut myself. It's strange that you say Kubrick wouldn't allow the longer cut to be shown outside the US, yet the longer cut has been aired on UK TV a few times. I wonder what he thought about that.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th December 2009 05:34 AM

I bought The Shining in Blockbuster the other night and guess what fell through my door from Amazon yesterday?:doh:

So if anyone wants to trade one,give me a shout.....

I ain't got round to watching it yet btw....:rolleyes:

Daemonia 6th December 2009 09:39 AM

Watched Optimum's BD of Near Dark last night. Not as good a transfer as I would've expected, it's a bit blurry in places and suffers from digital smearing. If this was a DVD I'd say it looked stunning - but for a Blu-ray? Nah. This should've looked a whole lot better than this. I enjoyed the film again, but the Blu-ray is found wanting. At least it was cheap. :)

Kyle 6th December 2009 03:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
just got these from ebay

for about £25