Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Pete 26th August 2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 177046)
Never seen that.

Neither have I. Apparently kicked up a storm when it was released.

Debzz 26th August 2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 177040)
It's an excellent film which proves that Expressionism wasn't limited to Germany and the Swedes could do it as well as anyone else.

Did you get the double set with Ingmar Bergman's The Image Makers, which is a film about making The Phantom Carriage?

I've just ordered Special Effects and Perfect Strangers.

aah its not got 'image makers' but it sounds cool soo i should definitely check that out! :D

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th August 2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 177043)

I've seen that several times but haven't yet bought a copy. On to the wishlist it goes!

Pete 26th August 2011 06:54 PM

I assume you liked it then?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th August 2011 07:00 PM

Yeah, I thought it was great but don't know why I haven't bought it yet. Pacino is utterly mesmerising, Friedkin's direction is superb and it has a terrific soundtrack. There are several online stores which are selling it for £4.99 (DVD.co.uk, base.com and blahDVD.com).

napalm-in-the-morning 26th August 2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 177046)
Never seen that.

Friedkin's Cruising is awesome and the DVD is uncut. Would also recommend To Live and Die in LA. A car chase to rival the French Connections and a wonderfully slimy performance by William Peterson and a typically crazy Willem Defoe.

Make Them Die Slowly 26th August 2011 09:13 PM

DEAD EYES OF LONDON & THE GHOST
NAKED WITCH & CRYPT OF DARK SECRETS

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th August 2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by napalm-in-the-morning (Post 177061)
Friedkin's Cruising is awesome and the DVD is uncut. Would also recommend To Live and Die in LA. A car chase to rival the French Connections and a wonderfully slimy performance by William Peterson and a typically crazy Willem Defoe.

If can play R1 discs then the US special edition of To Live and Die in LA is packed with features including a commentary from Friedkin, whereas the UK release is bare bones as they say.

napalm-in-the-morning 27th August 2011 10:41 AM

Speaking of Friedkin, has anyone seen Bug?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th August 2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by napalm-in-the-morning (Post 177149)
Speaking of Friedkin, has anyone seen Bug?

Yes, and I really liked it. Michael Shannon has almost made a career out of playing people who are mentally unhinged and he is suitably loopy in this, having excellent chemistry with Ashley Judd. Harry Connick Jr is always interesting to watch and Tracy Letts' screenplay is extremely good, with Friedkin seeming to relish in the subject material and create a genuine sense of unease with plenty of dreadful (in a good way) situations.

I think Bug can be picked up at a reasonable price and is definitely worth adding to your collection. I had one of those 'oh, sod it' moments last night and bought Cruising so I now have about 60 BDs and DVDs in my 'Ordered' list!