Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Susan Foreman 18th April 2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 445228)
'Martin' is the The Immortal Edition complete with poster, cards and booklet in the old style windowed box.:)

Oh, the good ol' days!

Andra Jai 18th April 2015 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Possibly the best ever headsculpt in a 1/6th scale figure and the latest addition to my ever growing collection.

bleakshaun 18th April 2015 02:09 PM

Foxy Brown came through the post today

J Harker 18th April 2015 03:41 PM

Just ordered from Zavvi.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04...b583537d6a.jpg
Currently £6.99 or part of Two for £12.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th April 2015 04:06 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Some cheap odds n' sods to boost the non-cult movie pile.

Baron Mynd 18th April 2015 04:07 PM

I only collect DVDs, just started going for the DPP's so my latest have only been stuff like Cannibal Terror, Axe, Driller Killer, DLITB, Evil Dead, Pranks etc

I picked up Pacific Rim, Blade/2, Cronus for my Del Toro filmography.

Randomly bought Night Watch and the Natural Born Killers directors cut from charity shop this morning. Waiting on about 8-9 others to be delivered!

demonknight 18th April 2015 04:13 PM

Picked up GRAVITY and INTERSTELLAR, both on the HD format.

trebor8273 18th April 2015 04:35 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Attachment 161502

Attachment 161503

Attachment 161504

Attachment 161505

Attachment 161506

Attachment 161507
Attachment 161508

Attachment 161509

Attachment 161510

Attachment 161511

Attachment 161512

Attachment 161513

Car boot sale finds

Attachment 161514
Attachment 161515

Deliveries

plasterface 18th April 2015 04:42 PM

wish there was a uk release of dr giggles, fun film

JoshuaKaitlyn 19th April 2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 445276)
Just ordered from Zavvi.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04...b583537d6a.jpg
Currently £6.99 or part of Two for £12.

What? No masterpiece that is the fourth installment? (I jest of course!)

Bringer Of Funerals 19th April 2015 09:59 AM

It's not complete with Omen IV and the Remake

:critter:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 10:10 AM

The fourth instalment and remake are pointless, so it's perhaps best just to stick to the trilogy. I actually quite like the first and second sequels, particularly the second one with Sam Neill.

Bringer Of Funerals 19th April 2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 445516)
The fourth instalment and remake are pointless, so it's perhaps best just to stick to the trilogy. I actually quite like the first and second sequels, particularly the second one with Sam Neill.

I'll still get the set at that price

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 445518)
I'll still get the set at that price

I'm tempted, but I already have The Omen on DVD and the whole set on DVD – I don't feel the need to upgrade the sequels or even own the remake!

I guess my feelings are the same about the Psycho films, with the first being brilliant (Psycho is much better than The Omen though), the sequels being watchable, but a sizeable step down in quality and, the less said about the (shot for shot) remake, the better.

keirarts 19th April 2015 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Car booting this morning. Bought a big box of DVDs for £3.00
Nothing I especially wanted so traded them into cex for....

Attachment 161582

keirarts 19th April 2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 445519)
I'm tempted, but I already have The Omen on DVD and the whole set on DVD – I don't feel the need to upgrade the sequels or even own the remake!

I guess my feelings are the same about the Psycho films, with the first being brilliant (Psycho is much better than The Omen though), the sequels being watchable, but a sizeable step down in quality and, the less said about the (shot for shot) remake, the better.

Only reason to watch the remake of the omen is the brief cameo from Giovanni lombardo Radice (aka John Morgahen) near the beginning. I retained the DVD set for completions sake but upgraded the first 3 to BR. The upgrade in PQ is definitely worth it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 445521)
Only reason to watch the remake of the omen is the brief cameo from Giovanni lombardo Radice (aka John Morgahen) near the beginning. I retained the DVD set for completions sake but upgraded the first 3 to BR. The upgrade in PQ is definitely worth it.

Like I said, it's something I'll consider when I'm feeling flush but, as I'm not at the moment, I can't really justify 'luxury' purchases (double dips or upgrades).

plasterface 19th April 2015 10:33 AM

omen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 445519)

I have my dvd box set signed by David Warner so hanging on to it:turtle:

JoshuaKaitlyn 19th April 2015 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 445516)

The score for the Sam Neill one I love. Got it, and the score to the second one on good old vinyl from a movie fair in Manchester back in the early ninties!

dustdevil 19th April 2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 443492)
The extras on Arrow's Incredible Melting Man were licensed from Shout Factory, so blame them. :)

I got the Shout Factory release. Always loved this film.Can't say I had a problem with the tone of the commentary - It's not exacly Oscar winning stuff is it just good fun :)

dustdevil 19th April 2015 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 443586)
I completely agree – I have no idea why Elliot Silverstein agreed to do a commentary for The Car, because Calum Waddell tried his hardest to encourage the director to talk about the film, but he wasn't interested.

If making the film was a horrible experience or you don't like the film, why agree to talk about it? Surely some things are best left in the past, with water under the bridge, and there's no point in reopening old wounds or boring people for the sake of a few hundred dollars.

What a total waste of time and money that commentary was - either was not interested or couldn't remember anything - should have said no and given someone else a chance. :confused:

J Harker 19th April 2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 445513)
What? No masterpiece that is the fourth installment? (I jest of course!)

The trilogy is a blind buy for me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 445571)
The trilogy is a blind buy for me.

:shocked: You've not seen The Omen films?

Wow! I thought they were a staple of horror cinema that everyone had seen...and for the most part really liked.

Baron Mynd 19th April 2015 04:26 PM

Today's Carboot Haul

The Incredible Melting Man (DVD-R)
Fear Dot Com
DeathWatch
Pans Labyrinth (for my Del Toro filmography)
Evil Dead Uncut (Anchor Bay UK)
Zombie Flesh Eaters
Zombie Flesh Eaters 2
Zombie Flesh Eaters 3
Zombie Holocaust
Nightwatch
Cannibals
Scum
Bless The Child
Sanctum
The Dungeon (Vipco)
Young & Innocent/The Man Who Knew Too Much

I know a few of you advised me against the Vipco releases but they were 50p each so I figured why not pick them up for now!

EDIT: Sanctum/Fear Dot Com were from a charity table. I have no idea how good/bad they are!

J Harker 19th April 2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 445581)
:shocked: You've not seen The Omen films?

Wow! I thought they were a staple of horror cinema that everyone had seen...and for the most part really liked.

No not yet Dem. Its only relatively recently i first saw The Exorcist too.
I like the way to put it, 'staples of horror cinema' Dem. While we're on it what else would you consider to be 'staples of horror cinema'?? Or anyone else for that matter.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 445621)
I like the way to put it, 'staples of horror cinema' Dem. While we're on it what else would you consider to be 'staples of horror cinema'?? Or anyone else for that matter.

I called them that possibly as an age thing. When i was growing up as a kid in the eighties films such as The Omen seemed to be on tv every other week and became part of my introduction to horror along with Hammer films and others such as The Fog.

The Exorcist not really, as that was never on tv and only came back into the UK film world relatively recently, see A Clockwork Orange as another example of what i mean.

J Harker 19th April 2015 07:00 PM

I was born in 78 so didn't really get into horror until the early 90's. Even then while i was aware of The Omen its not a film i remember being on tv much. My parents were funny about what i was allowed to record and watch as well so i guess its just another one that slipt under the radar. In recent years I've recorded it from tcm and film4 a number of times but wife has always deleted it before I've watched it. She was obsessed with not having enough storage on the sky box thingy.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 445621)

I typed up a list given in a Empire Magazine supplement, which is a really good 'beginner's guide', and which stood me in good stead when I was a fledgeling genre fan.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/blo...r-viewing.html

J Harker 19th April 2015 08:08 PM

Which House of Wax and Pit and the Pendulum are being referred to Nos?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 445641)
Which House of Wax and Pit and the Pendulum are being referred to Nos?

House of Wax (1953)
Pit and the Pendulum (1961)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 08:25 PM

I've just edited the blog entry to include those dates.

plasterface 19th April 2015 08:36 PM

staple diet

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 445624)
I called them that possibly as an age thing. When i was growing up as a kid in the eighties films such as The Omen seemed to be on tv every other week and became part of my introduction to horror along with Hammer films and others such as The Fog.

The Exorcist not really, as that was never on tv and only came back into the UK film world relatively recently, see A Clockwork Orange as another example of what i mean.

I am in my thirties. saw Exorcist on pirate video (yaaaaaaaargh) a few years before it came out on video in nineties?? Did'nt see chainsaw or orange till they were re-released on video, seems a ridiculous situation now them been unavailable for so long:wise:

Rik 19th April 2015 08:44 PM

Same for me, apart from my first viewing of the Exorcist being on its cinema re-release in 1999, and by that time I'd read the book many times

J Harker 19th April 2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 445645)
I've just edited the blog entry to include those dates.

That makes them the Vincent Price films then. I've seen most of the films on that list.

plasterface 19th April 2015 09:03 PM

horror

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 445639)
I typed up a list given in a Empire Magazine supplement, which is a really good 'beginner's guide', and which stood me in good stead when I was a fledgeling genre fan.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/blo...r-viewing.html

i have that mag very good. I'd reccomend Rue Morgue magazine's 200 alternative horror films you need to see. :wise:

trebor8273 19th April 2015 09:53 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Some more Car boot sale finds

Attachment 161613
Attachment 161614
Attachment 161615
Attachment 161616

Attachment 161617
Attachment 161618
Attachment 161619
Attachment 161620
Attachment 161621
Attachment 161622

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th April 2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 445670)
Some more Car boot sale finds

I keep meaning to pick up that four pack purely for The Crush. It's no longer available here and the stand alone R1 disc goes for silly money.

trebor8273 20th April 2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 445675)
I keep meaning to pick up that four pack purely for The Crush. It's no longer available here and the stand alone R1 disc goes for silly money.

The only film I've seen in that pack is Pacific heights,

Rik 20th April 2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 444770)
Just bought myself some new recording gear for my home studio, felt like treating myself seeing as I've been given the task to record a piece of music for CITV :)

All arrived today, but one of the mics, that was listed as brand new is ****ed, so I'm just a bit pissed off right now!

Demoncrat 20th April 2015 11:44 AM

Anguish! The Lift! Cough! Haul! ;)