Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree151215Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2011, 10:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Is there no way of updating the firmware on these tesco players? Or would that somehow wipeout the region A setting?

I'm clueless as I've only got a PS3 at the moment but am thinking about getting one of the Tesco players as I'm desperate for some Criterion BDs. But there's no point getting one if it won't play certain discs because of a firmware issue.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 16th October 2011, 10:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
Is there no way of updating the firmware on these tesco players? Or would that somehow wipeout the region A setting?

I'm clueless as I've only got a PS3 at the moment but am thinking about getting one of the Tesco players as I'm desperate for some Criterion BDs. But there's no point getting one if it won't play certain discs because of a firmware issue.
I dont own one but people have been reporting that multi region does not work if you update the player to the latest firmware. Now with BD this can be a problem as new titles need new firmware. So either you leave the player as is and risk not being able to play new BDs or you upgrade and risk loosing multi region.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 17th October 2011, 12:27 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
I dont own one but people have been reporting that multi region does not work if you update the player to the latest firmware. Now with BD this can be a problem as new titles need new firmware. So either you leave the player as is and risk not being able to play new BDs or you upgrade and risk loosing multi region.
And this is why I've not gone multi-region yet. I've decided that at present I'd rather build an entire collection of Region B-friendly titles than risk buying a shonky multi-region player that could break down or not play certain discs and leave me lumbered with BDs I can't watch. So, for now, I'm playing it safe. If and when cheap multi-region Blu players become the norm, then I'll follow that route.
Mojo likes this.
Old 17th October 2011, 07:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Same here man, that's why if I go multi-region, I'll buy a hardware modded Sony or Pioneer unit. But they're pricey at the moment, so I'd rather spend the money on discs!
Old 17th October 2011, 09:15 AM
Seasoned Cultist

This badboy arrived on Saturday.

Kinda feared the worse after reading the previous posts about possible playback/firmware problems (I own a Foehn & Hirsch multi-region player) but thankfully after popping it in, it played fine & looks & sounds wonderful!

You make it easy.
Old 17th October 2011, 09:17 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

^ Mine arrived on Saturday too - along with Island of Lost Souls!
Old 17th October 2011, 11:11 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
And this is why I've not gone multi-region yet. I've decided that at present I'd rather build an entire collection of Region B-friendly titles than risk buying a shonky multi-region player that could break down or not play certain discs and leave me lumbered with BDs I can't watch. So, for now, I'm playing it safe. If and when cheap multi-region Blu players become the norm, then I'll follow that route.
Well I got no issues as I got a Bluray drive for me PC
all you need to do is get a drive and then set it to region A and bobs your uncle, as you can have your main player for region B and then connect PC to TV for region A. If you want PC drive to play all regions just get yourself AnyDVD HD software which will make it multi region.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 17th October 2011, 11:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm happy with my crappy Technika, it's only a cheap way to watch some region A discs. Eventually I'll splash out for a better solution.
Not sure how to update the firmware though, there's not much info about updates online and I can't see anything solid on whether it blocks the multiregion hack.
Old 17th October 2011, 11:32 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Took a trip to Brighton at the weekend just to have a bite to eat with family and friends, ended up getting:

2. Another Alfred Hitchcock Collection which I can't find a pic of anywhere online, it contains Dial M For Murder, North by Northwest, Stangers on a Train and The Wrong Man

The Steelbook case looks lush, never seen the film and don't expect it to be any good but I'm a sucker for nice packaging.

Super rare Disney Blu-ray that has 'Classic Number' spine

Another Super rare Disney Blu-ray that has 'Classic Number' spine, the image is the closest looking I could find online to the actual copy I have.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 17th October 2011, 11:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
2. Another Alfred Hitchcock Collection which I can't find a pic of anywhere online, it contains Dial M For Murder, North by Northwest, Stangers on a Train and The Wrong Man
Is it this one? Also contains Stage Fright and I Confess

Like this? Share it using the links below!