Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151370Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2013, 10:32 PM
Cult Addict

I didn't buy this myself (as I already own it) but I spotted poundland is selling swimming with sharks starring kevin spacey.

I'm sure most labs members will have seen this or own it as well but anyone who hasn't should pick it up. Its a fantastic little movie and easily worth a quid of anyones money. The film is an insiders look at an intern played by frank whaley working for the boss from hell (spacey) in a bid to make it big in hollywood. Perhaps not the total classic sunset boulevard is, I still rate this film very highly indeed.
Daemonia and Criterion7 like this.
Old 14th April 2013, 10:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Evil Dead 2 Special Edition Bluray has shipped from Amazon
bdc and Criterion7 like this.
Old 14th April 2013, 08:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Great pick up today.

bdc, platostotal and sawyer6 like this.
Old 14th April 2013, 08:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I bought the Anvil doc on blu for £2.50 in CEX and The Road on blu for a fiver at the same time not had time to watch any films for well over a week i'm going stir crazy and have huge pile to catch up with!
bdc and Frankenhooker like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th April 2013, 09:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I bought the Anvil doc on blu for £2.50 in CEX and The Road on blu for a fiver at the same time not had time to watch any films for well over a week i'm going stir crazy and have huge pile to catch up with!
They are both really good films – completely different – and I really like them both. The Road isn't as much fun, but both are rewarding and life affirming in their own ways.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 14th April 2013, 09:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Road is a very nearly brilliant adaptation of McCarthy's book. It isn't much fun, but it's very thought provoking and from a technical stand point, it's superb. I've always been a bit confused about why it didn't catch people's attention, when it was released plenty of people were reading the book, it won the Pulitzer and plenty of people bought the novel on the back of that award. Maybe the book was such a bummer people didn't want to go through it again.

I think it's a great film.
Old 14th April 2013, 09:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I saw The Road at the cinema and thought it was a brilliant film. I was one of those who bought the book after watching the film (just as I did with No Country for Old Men) and can't say which one is better than the other; one is a great film and the other is a great book.
Old 14th April 2013, 09:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I preferred the book, but mainly because I read it before watching the film. But it's a great adaptation, acting, directing, cinematography, it's all spot on. I hope the film picks up fans as time passes because it's fantastic.

The Road is by no means the most depressing McCarthy book, I'm waiting for the film of 'Child Of God', that'll be good for a few laughs.
Old 15th April 2013, 07:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
The Road is by no means the most depressing McCarthy book, I'm waiting for the film of 'Child Of God', that'll be good for a few laughs.
Have you read Blood Meridian, Or The Evening Redness In The West? Pure poetry. It's a blood-soaked, gothic western that really puts the 'wild' back in wild west. It has the Faustian legend running through it and McCarthy's prose has never been more lyrical.
Old 15th April 2013, 08:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Just look around for those old Tartan Asian Extreme DVDs and get a few blind buys, probably a few cheap ones. Miike is my favourite director, mostly his Yakuza movies.

Dead or Alive 1+2 (3 sucks), Agitator, Ley Lines, Rainy Dog, Shinjuku Triad Society, City of Lost Souls, Deadly Outlaw Rekka (from Arrow). His other releases on TAE are awsome also, just a little weird.
I'm a big Miike fan too, I've seen the majority of those. Watched Visitor Q last night, so bizarre.

Like this? Share it using the links below!