Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151370Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th November 2013, 09:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Maybe I should be watching Romantic Comedies then, because I thought the Punisher was shite
And Aquaman, seriously!

WORST COMICBOOK CHARACTER....EVER!

fuzzymctiger and troggi like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th November 2013, 11:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Maybe I should be watching Romantic Comedies then, because I thought the Punisher was shite
And Aquaman, seriously!

WORST COMICBOOK CHARACTER....EVER!

Try "The Punisher: War Zone" Rik it's much more like the comics and as for Aquaman, he's been beefed up in "The New 52" incarnation. Or you could just watch "Love, Actually"
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 20th November 2013, 11:18 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Glad I'm not the only one who actually enjoyed Man Of Steel, I personally am looking forward to seeing it again on Blu just for the third act's action; it's a flawed film but I think much like this year's The Wolverine has been given a bum rap by many seemingly high-minded comic book movie obsessives in my eyes.
trebor8273 and troggi like this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 20th November 2013, 11:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who actually enjoyed Man Of Steel, I personally am looking forward to seeing it again on Blu just for the third act's action; it's a flawed film but I think much like this year's The Wolverine has been given a bum rap by many seemingly high-minded comic book movie obsessives in my eyes.
Comic book geeks as opposed to comic book nerds, such as myself, are the s to blame for the "bum rap" given to many comic book movies. Personally I love 'em all because I find it very easy to "suspend disbelief" and actually enjoy a film for what it is, escapism! Okay, some are better than others but I even liked Ang Lee's "Hulk" and think that Nic Cage is okay as "Ghostrider"! Sorry but that's how it is with me! AND, now that I've just ordered a Blu ray player, I'm looking forward to getting all of 'em again on BD (surreptitiously without alerting the missus of course)!

Monster Magnet
Old 21st November 2013, 12:11 AM
Cult Addict

I'm sorry Trogg's you've only just ordered a blu player?? You my friend are in for some treats!!!
troggi likes this.
Old 21st November 2013, 12:14 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
Hell no I loved Man of Steel! Although I wasn't blown away with Da Wolverine. Think I'm one of the few that prefered Wolverine: Origins.

Sent from my bloody GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2 laady dee bloody da!
troggi likes this.
Old 21st November 2013, 04:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I don't want t' get into a Marvel U versus DC U but I do think Marvel have the edge at the mo'. "Green Lantern" was...iffy, the old "Batman" movies and the more recent "Dark Knight" trilogy were great (on the whole), "Cat Woman" (shiver), "Swamp Thing" ah you'd all forgotton about him, "Constantine" great (SCOUSE not wooden) character, the old "Superman" and, indeed, "Supergirl" were okay-ish, "Superman Returns" (yawn), and last but not least, "Man of Steel"...ooh, contentious!

On the Marvel side of the fence: "Spiderman" films, "Amazing" or not, have been relatively good (treat 'em like the old "Batman" movies), "X-Men" much the same, "Punisher" if you don't like these films you're better off watching romantic comedies, "Fantastic Four" er, a bit wet but I've always seen the FF as kiddie friendly, "Captain America" worth waiting for, "Avengers Assemble" would have been better if they could have gotten nearer to the original Avengers team (not even a look in from Spidey as his home town is trashed due to "contractual Obligations), "Ironman" gotta love ole tinribs, "Hulk" will always be tricky because of CGI, "Thor" Hemsworth was born for that role, and don't forget the "GL" of the Marvel movies, "Ghostrider" (or maybe we should forget...)

Both camps have heroes who should make great movies...

DC
The Flash, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, The Teen Titans, Aquaman, old favourites the Metal Men and Dial H, hell the whole Justice League.

Marvel
We've seen most of the first stringers but with "Antman", "Black Panther" and "Guardians of the Galaxy" in the works there are still a couple to call on, our own Captain Britain for instance, Captain Marvel or Ms Marvel, Ka-Zar, Deadpool, Silver Surfer (standalone movie), Prince Namor, The Inhumans.

Neither of these lists are exhaustive and I'm sure you can think of many more.

I like comics, I do have preferences but they are not for one publisher's Universe over another, rather I find some characters more "believable" than others and a lot of that "believability" is fixed in the mythos written into the characters from the very beginning. The DC mythos is not rooted in this Earth; there is no Gotham City or Starling City, Smallville or Metropolis. The Marvel Universe, on the other hand is grounded firmly on an Earth with a New York, a Liverpool and a London.

Character-wise Peter Parker has normal teenage angst and day to day problems, Bruce Banner is struggling with his inner demons and Frank Castle has been driven to the edge but Clark Kent looks like Superman in a suit and glasses and would crumple only in the presence of a green rock!

DC seems to be picking, with the exception of the Dark Knight, the least believable of their stable to adapt into film. There are enough Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Catwoman and Green Arrow stories to last them until the next millennium. Add to that Justice League, Birds of Prey and Teen Titans and you could have a credible answer to Marvel's "edge"!

I'm going for a lie down now, I've been far too rational for one day!
Great to see some love for Constatine. Great movie.

We need more movies from Vertigo comics, they're gold
troggi likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 21st November 2013, 06:42 AM
Cult Addict

A Shade the Changing Man and Morrison era Animal Man Movie as well as Doom Patrol one are in talks for production. A Justice League Dark movie is also in pre-production (as in, unlike these other projects, it's almost certainly going to happen) even though it's not a Vertigo series it features characters indigenous to vertigo prior to the New 52. Shade, Constantine, Deadman, Etragon et al.

I'm a fan of all things Vertigo, my second favourite mainstream comic publication imprint outside of our own 2000AD. On that I round the More era inspired Swamp Thing movie to be one of the best super hero comic book movies. Despite the obvious budget restraints it was clearly a heart filled project and produced some bery memorable set pieces. The sequel can suck a dick though.
Constantine was indeed an over looked gem and I honestly think it could benefit from this JLD movie shooting the smoking brit back into the lime light alongside Batman and Superman.

Now, Man of Steel. **** it. Just, **** it. I seriously can't remember dis-likeing a film as much as this. Just the sheer stupidity of it, and the total miss representation of Superman himself as a callouss, uncaring, cit destroying, mass murderer. The Marvel Cinematic Universe can be described as many things. Fan wankery, excessive, repetitive. I have never found one of their films dull or offensive to my intelligence. Rant over.
keirarts, fuzzymctiger and troggi like this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 21st November 2013, 06:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Still can't be worse than Dredd, 2 hours of a stubble covered chin frowning
Hawkmonger and troggi like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st November 2013, 06:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Really intrigued by this one, need to find some time to watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.4 KB, 7 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!