Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree151213Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2016, 11:20 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
One is a real fave and i watch every single year...the other? Well, i doubt i'll ever buy that.

Besides i've always looked on Poltergeist as being on the same level as The Goonies and Lost Boys and kids stuff like that.
We won't comment on the The Lost Boys but please don't go comparing Poltergeist to The ****ing Goonies.
Old 4th December 2016, 12:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Tigon

The blood beast terror on dvd 3 pounds, like the Roy Hudd character
Old 4th December 2016, 02:51 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
We won't comment on the The Lost Boys but please don't go comparing Poltergeist to The ****ing Goonies.
I wouldn't want me teenage daughter to watch Poltergeist. She's terrible with ghosts and that. I'd think she wouldn't sleep for a week. Goonies we've all obviously seen before.
Old 4th December 2016, 05:09 PM
Cult Addict

I watched Poltergeist quite a few times on TV when i was about aged 10 onwards, certain parts are really effective. Mostly the tree and clown scene in the middle and the end swimming pool, also the "There here build up' other scenes such as the bathroom mirror bit that freaked me out as a kid have lost something with the advance of effects and such like.

I'm much more freaked out by ghost stuff as i get older, it's probably the only horror film theme that gets to me now, apart from thinking that the extreme angle of cinema is much too realistic to be entertaining most of the time these days.

I also like Poltergeist 2 which i feel lost some of the Spielberg influence with the drinking maggot and puking up a Giger creation scene. actually as i grew older i kinda grew to like the second one more. The third one has always seemed like a pile of shite to me though.

As to the Goonies i must confess i really enjoy it, seeing it at the cinema as a 10 year old kid and all. It spoke to my sense of adventure. But i can see that it is a 'had to be there' kind of film.

I'm actually not sure that half of the people on here that slag the Goonies off have actually seen it. If you watch it it should be seen as a kids version of raiders of the lost ark, not as sophisticated but just a bit of treasure hunting escapist fun.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 4th December 2016, 05:32 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
As to the Goonies i must confess i really enjoy it, seeing it at the cinema as a 10 year old kid and all. It spoke to my sense of adventure. But i can see that it is a 'had to be there' kind of film.

I'm actually not sure that half of the people on here that slag the Goonies off have actually seen it. If you watch it it should be seen as a kids version of raiders of the lost ark, not as sophisticated but just a bit of treasure hunting escapist fun.
I've seen The Goonies. About 3 times.
It's shit. Gets that bit shitter each time.
Old 4th December 2016, 05:49 PM
Cultist

I like Goonies. I think it's fine but massively overhyped. I was past 30 when I first saw it though so I didn't watch it at the right age (though my three kids thought it was good, don't know if they'll remember fondly it in future or just another film)
Old 4th December 2016, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Goonies isn't shit. It's perhaps overrated due to the whole nostalgia thing, but it's a perfectly enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes. I have three kids, they all like the film, even the eldest who is about as cynical as they come, I watched it on release and I can still sit through it without being bored.
Old 4th December 2016, 09:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default the goonies

monster squad better
keirarts, trebor8273 and shel like this.
Old 4th December 2016, 09:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
monster squad better
While I'm not a big fan this is true.
plasterface and keirarts like this.
Old 4th December 2016, 10:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Raiders is a classic of film, The Goonies is an annoying fat kid shouting. I watched it once about 4 years ago...that was once too much as well.

Like this? Share it using the links below!