Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151369Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2017, 12:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

This looks like a spending spree but it's not

HMV and CEX came to £30 and I got 7 films! Amazed to see one of the rare BD slipcase editions of The Witch so grabbed that immediately. Popped into HMV to buy Shaun of the Dead which was £8.99 or I could buy the whole 'Cornetto Trilogy' for an extra £4 so that was a good buy as well.

Suspiria has arrived from Amazon Italy, just had a look and it's a great transfer, has a 2 channel mono soundtrack and the 5.1 HD DTS both in English or Italian with optional subtitles. The only extra is a 30 minute chat with Dario, it's in Italian with no subs, but seriously, what else is there to say about Suspiria, I still have my 2 disc Anchor Bay DVD and the Cine-Excess BD which both have excellent supplements on them. This edition is around £14.00 delivered from Amazon.

The Criterion films were 'free' with a 12 month Empire subscription which cost less than buying the 2 discs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File_000.jpg (92.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg File_001.jpg (86.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg File_002.jpg (92.0 KB, 13 views)

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th February 2017, 12:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

This weeks new arrivals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4416 (Large).jpg (90.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4463 (Large).jpg (85.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4467 (Large).jpg (79.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4471 (Large).jpg (97.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 25th February 2017, 01:02 PM
Cult Addict

Some good films there Dem, i really like Alice, the Tenant and Beastmaster.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 25th February 2017, 01:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Some good films there Dem, i really like Alice, the Tenant and Beastmaster.
Thanks, nos.

Oddly enough The Real Blonde was the one i was most happy to get hold of. It's not what you'd call a popular film and i'm sure it's deleted on dvd. I thought it was a real gem when i saw it at the cinema but it became lost in a glut of gore, at least to me, this last ten years.

I've not seen Alice, or The Tenant but The Beastmaster i used to own on vhs, probably cut though. At least this US dvd from Anchor Bay is complete and full of extras.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 25th February 2017, 01:45 PM
Cult Addict

Never even heard of "The real Blonde."
The Tenant has a lot of the vibe of Rosemarys Baby i thought with the building and it's residents slowly driving Polanski mad.
Alice has some really well shot scenes,a creepy atmosphere and a few decent kills if i remember rightly. Great stuff.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 25th February 2017, 02:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Suspiria has arrived from Amazon Italy, just had a look and it's a great transfer, has a 2 channel mono soundtrack and the 5.1 HD DTS both in English or Italian with optional subtitles. The only extra is a 30 minute chat with Dario, it's in Italian with no subs, but seriously, what else is there to say about Suspiria, I still have my 2 disc Anchor Bay DVD and the Cine-Excess BD which both have excellent supplements on them. This edition is around £14.00 delivered from Amazon.
That's great to know. I have ordered it today, but the exchange rates must have changed, because it cost me £15.07.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 25th February 2017, 02:17 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That's great to know. I have ordered it today, but the exchange rates must have changed, because it cost me £15.07.
I actually have an internet bank account that allows you to pay in any currency without fees so it's always a bit cheaper when buying in a foreign currency. When buying on Amazon and it automatically converts it to £ you click a button that says pay in Euros.

https://monzo.com/ if you're interested, I actually use it daily so I can keep track of my spending, but keep my main Barclays account for my bills etc.

Old 25th February 2017, 02:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I actually have an internet bank account that allows you to pay in any currency without fees so it's always a bit cheaper when buying in a foreign currency. When buying on Amazon and it automatically converts it to £ you click a button that says pay in Euros.

https://monzo.com/ if you're interested, I actually use it daily so I can keep track of my spending, but keep my main Barclays account for my bills etc.
I'll look into – thanks. I don't know if I do enough shopping in currencies other than sterling to warrant another bank account, but it might be worth it if it saves me a quid or do every now and again.
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th February 2017, 02:27 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'll look into – thanks. I don't know if I do enough shopping in currencies other than sterling to warrant another bank account, but it might be worth it if it saves me a quid or do every now and again.
I use it more of a budgeting tool, I'll transfer over x-amount from my main account, and that's how much I'm allowed to spend on Lattes, Books and BDs. It helped me save for Japan! It also saved me money while there because I could take money out of the cash point at the best exchange rate possible.

Old 25th February 2017, 03:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Thanks, nos.

Oddly enough The Real Blonde was the one i was most happy to get hold of. It's not what you'd call a popular film and i'm sure it's deleted on dvd. I thought it was a real gem when i saw it at the cinema but it became lost in a glut of gore, at least to me, this last ten years.

I've not seen Alice, or The Tenant but The Beastmaster i used to own on vhs, probably cut though. At least this US dvd from Anchor Bay is complete and full of extras.
I haven't seen The Real Blonde or The Beastmaster, but will add them to my 'to watch' list. If you're a fan of Polanski's psychological thrillers/horrors, you're in for a treat with The Tenant.

Like this? Share it using the links below!