Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151368Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2010, 07:27 PM
Cultist

I just got 3 new DVDs Two of them I already had, and one I never had nor seen.

Cannibal Holocaust - (2 Disc Ultra Bit Edition From EC Entertainment) I originally had Cannibal Holocaust but my old DVD of it got damaged.

Last Cannibal World The DVD is from Shock DVD, and is uncut. The last DVD I had of it was the UK version.

Cannibal Ferox - 1999 Sazuma DVD release which is fully uncut, according to its runtime. I still have to get time to watch it!

Old 31st July 2010, 08:02 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveroughcut View Post
I don't buy into these making hi-def I'm sticking with my upscale player and the DVDs unless the price comes right down to rock bottom.
What's not to buy into you get some of the best cinematography ever shot, in 1080p and amazing music and sound in DST True HD. These are the kind of films that high definition format were made for!!!!

Analouge film is about 12x the resolution of blu-ray so there's no truth to the argument that its pointless having old films on blu-ray. Anything shot on 35mm, 16mm and probably even 8mm can be improved with a high definition transfer.
Old 31st July 2010, 09:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just took a few loose dvds down to exchange shop and got

Let the right 1 in
New york ripper.. anchor bay
Old 31st July 2010, 09:59 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Today i snagged this:

You have no idea how long I've been trying to snag it at even a decent price let alone the $40 - $60 people were asking for it on ebay and amazon up until a few weeks ago! It was only available at Best Buy stores initially but obviously didn't do too well as it disappeared and went OOP pretty quickly. The prices have gone down at the moment because there are these copies floating around but once they've dried up I expect it to go up again. Very happy!
Old 31st July 2010, 10:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

hey blob ive heard Big lots is a dvd collectors heaven because they have insanely good deals, any truth to that?
Old 31st July 2010, 10:51 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Big Lots is great but it can be hit and miss. This is definitely my best find though. We used to live near DC and the one there barely even had any dvd's let alone anything good but the one down here has been top notch. It's a bit of a trek and there are Big Lots threads on DVD Talk and the Classic Horror Film board so i keep an eye out if stuff I really want turns up. Went a couple of weeks ago and picked up about five things including Incubus with William Shatner, Strangers On A train 2-disc and the original House On Haunted Hill WB edition for $3 each. Picked up all three Shaft movies a while ago for the same. The worst is I'm always finding loads of really good stuff that I already have!

Today they had a couple of the Twisted Terror collection movies and I know someone here was looking for Deadly Friend so I was looking for it to bring back but no luck on that one. They'll occassionally have the barcode slashed for closeout stock like today's one but for the prices it doesn't bother me. I have to admit, $6 for something at Big Lots was expensive but in this case, worth every penny.
Old 1st August 2010, 06:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah BIG LOTS has a lot of deals .The thing is the variety really changes from store to store.
Old 1st August 2010, 06:16 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Picked up THE INTRUDER(2010)
Old 1st August 2010, 10:46 AM
Cult Rookie

Default Re: WHAT HAVE YOU SEEN/BOUGHT ON BLU-RAY RECENTLY and CAN YOU RECOMMEND IT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie

What's not to buy into you get some of the best cinematography ever shot, in 1080p and amazing music and sound in DST True HD. These are the kind of films that high definition format were made for!!!!

Analouge film is about 12x the resolution of blu-ray so there's no truth to the argument that its pointless having old films on blu-ray. Anything shot on 35mm, 16mm and probably even 8mm can be improved with a high definition transfer.
Oh you are tempting me! My girlfriend is not happy at you though LOL. I would love to see Once Upon A Time In The West in HD.

I was under the misapprehension it was not worth it due to my blu-rays of Hardware and Ashes Of Time which did not seem to add any advantage over the DVD.
Old 1st August 2010, 09:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

My first blu-ray player will be arriving soon,so I decided to pick up some blu's to test it...
I hope it will also do a decent job upscaling my dvd's btw.

Got these as they were on sale in a local shop (5 Euro each).

Beetlejuice (Warner)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) (Fox)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Fox)

Are these bd's any good (technically)?

Like this? Share it using the links below!