Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree328Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2021, 07:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

There are two versions of Sleepy Hollow on Blu-ray and I think both of them are a bit rubbish, the European one definitely looks like an upscale, but there was a newer remaster done for an American release but I remember people not being impressed by it.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th October 2021, 09:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I actually quite like the (out of print) 2009 UK blu-ray of Sleepy Hollow by Optimum. It is super grainy and desaturated but I'm pretty sure that was the intended look from Tim Burton. Other than an unfortunate several second moment (around 18 and a half minutes in) where it literally is standard definition, the rest looked rather darn decent imo and certainly like 1080p high definition. That old disc obviously isn't going to win any awards but I don't actually have any great issues with it. btw Just my personal thoughts, your mileages may vary.

Last edited by SymbioticFunction; 10th October 2021 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10th October 2021, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I actually quite like the (out of print) 2009 UK blu-ray of Sleepy Hollow by Optimum. It is super grainy and desaturated but I'm pretty sure that was the intended look from Tim Burton.

Other than a several second moment (around 18 and a half minutes in) where it literally is standard definition, the rest looked rather darn decent imo and certainly like 1080p high definition.

That old disc obviously isn't going to win any awards but I don't actually have any great issues with it. Think it was re-released later on in the UK, with worse PQ, by someone else (a clone of the inferior US disc). Just my personal thoughts, your mileages may vary.
I watched the old dvd on Saturday night and thought for the most part it did look very good.
Old 10th October 2021, 10:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watched the old dvd on Saturday night and thought for the most part it did look very good.
It's been so long since I last watched it on dvd format, that I struggle to recall what it looked like. I can say that the unfortunate standard definition moment on my old UK blu-ray really sticks out, so it wasn't just a case of upscaling a SD source. It was a genuine high definition release.
Old 11th October 2021, 07:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Strain Season Four and Inside No. 9 Series 5. All previous seasons/series have been released on Blu-ray (after being broadcast in high-definition) but these are unfathomably only available on DVD.
Old 11th October 2021, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

It's about time The Ninth Gate had a blu release over here.
Old 11th October 2021, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Strain Season Four and Inside No. 9 Series 5. All previous seasons/series have been released on Blu-ray (after being broadcast in high-definition) but these are unfathomably only available on DVD.
It's annoying the contempt companies hold for tv series on disc.

On one hand you've got Network and the BBC restoring and releasing cult classics from the sixties, seventies and eighties and then you've got the majors like Marvel who can't even be bothered to release the final two series of Agents of SHIELD on dvd or blu-ray.
Old 13th October 2021, 01:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's annoying the contempt companies hold for tv series on disc.

On one hand you've got Network and the BBC restoring and releasing cult classics from the sixties, seventies and eighties and then you've got the majors like Marvel who can't even be bothered to release the final two series of Agents of SHIELD on dvd or blu-ray.
That's another one for my list – I have the individual Blu-ray box sets of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., seasons 1-5, so it is very frustrating to know I won't be able to buy the rest and will only be able to watch them with a subscription to Disney+.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 13th October 2021, 01:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That's another one for my list – I have the individual Blu-ray box sets of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., seasons 1-5, so it is very frustrating to know I won't be able to buy the rest and will only be able to watch them with a subscription to Disney+.
The only semi good thing is that it basically finished at the end of series five, with Coulson's death so it's possible to leave it at that.
Old 13th October 2021, 08:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I wouldn't mind Cobra Kai Season 3

Like this? Share it using the links below!