Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th February 2014, 01:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
All worth watching in my opinion. (Not sure what Savages is though). There are some fantastic films there.

Although My Soul to Take is f**king abysmal.
Thanks!

Is My Soul to Take really that bad? Right enough, Craven hasn't made a decent film in over ten years!
Old 11th February 2014, 01:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post

Is My Soul to Take really that bad?
You tell me when you've seen it.
Old 11th February 2014, 01:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You tell me when you've seen it.
I will do
Old 11th February 2014, 02:38 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Craven hasn't made a decent film in over ten years!
Craven's made a decent film?

I kid, of course. I in fact really like The People Under the Stairs.

As for your list...

Bicycle Thieves is regarded as a 'classic', but I found it to be very dull on my first watch. On a re-watch it fared a little better and whilst I can agree that it is a very well made film, it's not really for me.

I didn't think I'd like The Artist much as when they try to modernise an older medium of cinema for modern audiences they tend to f*ck it up, but I found it to be quite charming and endearing in a lot of ways, also proving to myself that I am not in fact a wizened dried up husk of a human being... at least not quite yet.

I love Dr Strangelove. After 2001 it is my favourite Kubrick film and one I never tire of watching. I can easily see how many wouldn't care for it though.

I'd definitely echo the Event Horizon love. Yes, it's flawed in so many ways, but for me it blends psychological horror and sci-fi adventure in an almost perfect manner and is extremely entertaining, with plenty of gore, some basic astrophysics theory and of course Sam Neill - who is pretty much brilliant in everything he is attached to.

Martyrs is pretty great and is my personal favourite of the 'Nu-wave French horror' club which was splattering onto our screens during the 2000s.

Piranha 3D was pretty rubbish. I'd advise beer (and lots of it!) if you want to survive this one. It's pretty stupid and very annoying at times, but it has its fans - mainly due to copious tits, CGI fish and people getting eaten to pieces (literally). However, it was definitely a case of a 'one watch wonder' for me. Curiosity has been satisfied and I've heard the sequel is really dire.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was pretty uninspiring. It toyed with a few interesting ideas, but is only worth it if you want to watch some CGI apes attack the golden gate bridge (already I can feel Ron getting excited...)

I was once 'forced' to watch Singing in the Rain and found it to be like most musicals I've come across: unnecessary - but they do have their fans and I know many rate this one quite highly. As for me, it was okay and probably one of the 'better' (and I use that term very loosely) musicals that I've endured.

A Streetcar Named Desire is one of those films I watched years ago when I was very young and can't quite recall. It's one I need to revisit.

V for Vendetta was okay. I remember it being hyped up quite a bit on release and I was quite looking forward to seeing it. It didn't quite deliver to my expectations however, which is maybe why I don't rate it that highly. Still, it's worth a watch I suppose.

For my shame I've never seen All About Eve, City Girl, or The Wrestler. I also haven't seen The Mother's Day remake (however from what little I've heard it bears no resemblance to the original '80s film and just riffs off the overall idea), My Soul to Take, or Savages.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 11th February 2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11th February 2014, 02:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I didn't mind My Soul To Take, only watched it once via Netflix a couple of years ago so can't really remember much about it, maybe I'd agree with Dem if I gave it another watch
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th February 2014, 03:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

Piranha 3D was pretty rubbish. I'd advise beer (and lots of it!) if you want to survive this one. It's pretty stupid and very annoying at times, but it has its fans - mainly due to copious tits, CGI fish and people getting eaten to pieces (literally). However, it was definitely a case of a 'one watch wonder' for me. Curiosity has been satisfied and I've heard the sequel is really dire.
Oddly i much preferred the sequel. Yes it's cheaper but it's done in the style of the Feast movies - more gore, more tits, more bad jokes. Which is unsurprising as John Gulager directed them all.
Old 11th February 2014, 06:12 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Films I intend on watching soon, but haven't seen. I was wondering if you guys could tell me a bit about them, in terms of worth watching or not.

Bicycle Theives
All About Eve
The Artist
Dr. Strangelove
(I remember seeing a it of this a while back and hating it)
Event Horizon
Martyrs
Mother's Day (2010)
My Soul to Take
Piranha 3D
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Savages
Singin' in the Rain
A Streetcar Named Desire
V For Vendetta
The Wrestler
City Girl

Thanks

The Wrestler is brilliant , Mickey Rourkes performance is stunning and a great Springsteen theme song to boot . A 5 star movie .
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 11th February 2014, 06:18 PM
Cult Master

I taught the Wrestler was a great film Micky Rourke put in a very powerful performance. A role i personally and maybe others can identify with a man stuck in his past unwilling to let go of his glory days and trying his best to right the mistakes he has made. Im not a fan of Bruce Springsteen but his song for this was a fantastic bit of music to go with this film. Well worth a watch in my opinion.
Maxsimmus likes this.
Old 11th February 2014, 06:26 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsimmus View Post
The Wrestler is brilliant , Mickey Rourkes performance is stunning and a great Springsteen theme song to boot . A 5 star movie .
Beat me too it while i was rambling with my post
Maxsimmus likes this.
Old 11th February 2014, 06:33 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Beat me too it while i was rambling with my post
One of my favourite films along with Copland , Sylvester Stallone also giving a top performance and coincidentally another Springsteen soundtrack ! I would also recommend Mystic River to anyone who hasn'nt seen it , a really powerful movie with outstanding performances all round.
Nordicdusk and ArgentoFan1987 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!