Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th April 2015, 03:22 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Don't Remake Ever!

Hello everyone,

News has broke today that another loved horror classic is due to be remade. It's none other than the slow, tense film, Don't Look Now. Click here if you want to read the news story.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the film but it got me thinking, what are some of the films that you think should NEVER EVER be remade?

Remakes (or 're-imagining' if you wish) are happening all the time with Hollywood seemingly remake anything and everything, from old movies to films less than a year old!

What list of films would you hate to see remade by Hollywood? Which remakes that have been filmed would you consider blasphemous to film lovers?

Let us know your thoughts below...

Unleash the guns!
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th April 2015, 03:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

It all depends on the who and why's with remakes.

I think Don't Look Now may be a great choice for a remake. Especially if it's done by the makers of Unknown which seemed quite heavily influenced by Roeg's film anyway.

What i would do is completely re-work it. I'd basically make it in name only. Take it out of Venice and set it in another great location. Where? I don't know, i'm not employed as a location scout .

I would also lose the child aspect to it. Why? Well what's the point of telling the same story? The final pay off is one of the most famous in horror / giallo cinema. People would go into the cinema knowing the end before they bought a ticket.

What i wouldn't do is make it for the teen market. It's a film that needs a couple of established stars to carry it, also ones who are prepared to shed their inhibitions. Perhaps Sean Penn and Julianne Moore would make for a good cast.
Old 29th April 2015, 03:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

LALALA NOT LISTENING ANYMORE.

Ahem.
mr 420 and Vipp like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th April 2015, 04:09 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
Hello everyone,

News has broke today that another loved horror classic is due to be remade. It's none other than the slow, tense film, Don't Look Now. Click here if you want to read the news story.
Um...this was noted A GOOD SIX HOURS BEFORE THIS THREAD WAS STARTED!

So What Remake is Next?

I demand recognition!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 29th April 2015, 04:23 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Wink

So you did, Suzi! Well, it seems fitting to remake your post They do say the original is the best after all...
Old 29th April 2015, 04:35 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
So you did, Suzi! Well, it seems fitting to remake your post They do say the original is the best after all...
A twisted argument maybe, but I accept what you say and I thank you!
iluvdvds@Cult Labs and Vipp like this.

Old 29th April 2015, 05:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'd completely ignore Nicolas Roeg's masterpiece and simply make a film based on Daphne du Maurier's short story. I wouldn't remake the birds but, if I did, that's exactly how another film version should be made: set in Britain towards the end of the 1940s. Either that, or update it and have the birds represent something like Islamic extremism rather than, in the short story, the rise of communism.

Other films which should never be remade would (obviously) include The Exorcist, Citizen Kane, Vertigo, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Jaws, the Indiana Jones films, Rosemary's Baby, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, Deep Red (or any of the Argento, Bava, Lucio Fulci or Duccio Tessari classics from the 1960s and 70s), The General (Keaton), City Lights (or any other great Chaplin film). Basically there are too many to mention and I'll watch this remake of Don't Look Now with great trepidation.
Old 29th April 2015, 09:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Sometimes i wonder if re-makes are good because they can bring life to old films and the possability of re-releases of the original on new formats and so on however i can't tell you a single remake or reimagining that i ever enjoyed over it's original counterpart. I love Donald Sutherland, he is in my top ten all time favourite actors so i enjoy Don;t look now but as folks have already said... this film's ending is it's selling point and to remake this movie would be silly as we all know what's coming. I agree with Dem who said maybe re imagine the film but do it for an alternative audience but retain the good strong actor roles and maybe change the ending... that might work but then why use the original title for that film??? Hollywood seems to be desperate and NOTHING is sacred to them.

I don;t agree that The Shinning shouldn;t be remade, i adore Kubrick and worship his film making but the shinning isn;t we good film, it's techncally sound and looks beautiful but it actually doesn;t work as a film at all. Kubrick missed out the most important parts of the story (book) Stephen King himself will say he dislikes the film, so i would actually like to see a Shinning where we get to see JAck Torrences backstory and clearly understand how unwell he is and his struggle with battling the drink and so on...

I would hate to see anyone try to remake films like 'El Topo', The rocky horror picture show, eraserhead, the elephantman, The Fantastic Planet, Night of the hunter, and a few more films that i genuinly enjoy for being original and just well and truly well made.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 29th April 2015, 09:31 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
I would hate to see anyone try to remake films like...'Night of the hunter...
Too late - it was been done in 1991

Night of the Hunter (TV Movie 1991) - IMDb
Vipp likes this.

Old 29th April 2015, 09:35 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Too late - it was been done in 1991

Night of the Hunter (TV Movie 1991) - IMDb
Has anyone ever seen this remake ?
Vipp likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!