Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th August 2015, 07:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
The Pit and the Pendulum (1961). My first Vincent Price film and one of my very first Horror films. I haven't seen this in a while, but I remember that I always liked the film. The scene with the iron maiden scared the shit out of me.

Theatre of Blood (1973). An excellent film that I first saw when I was still a nice boy. Right from the beginning, I was mesmerized by the strange blend of gory violence and dark humour. I still love it.

The Wild Bunch (1968). Like most of Peckinpah's works, this film showcases the strange esthetics of violence. I always have to smile when I think of the first massacre involving a temperance movement parade. My first real Western after quite a few nice and cozy Wayne flicks.
I used to watch a lot of Westerns with my grandad on a Sunday afternoon, I always enjoyed them but it somehow feels a bit empty watching them without him these days. He really liked The Wild Bunch.
Old 8th August 2015, 08:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

We had a Betamax, and the film I remember wearing out the most was 'Yellow Submarine'! (sort of aimed at adults I guess). I have no idea why as I can't stand it now. A bit later, I was into 'Barbarella' and 'The Thing'.
Old 8th August 2015, 09:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
We had a Betamax, and the film I remember wearing out the most was 'Yellow Submarine'! (sort of aimed at adults I guess). I have no idea why as I can't stand it now. A bit later, I was into 'Barbarella' and 'The Thing'.
I still believe we have our betamax somewhere! I remember the day the guy from the electrical shop came to replace it, sad times.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 8th August 2015, 09:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen Barbarella. I have a funny feeling that we might have had Yellow Submarine taped on betamax. Mum really did love taping things, still does. She has enough tapes of Barry Manilow appearances to fill a skip. I remember having to watch Sally Jesse Raphael for weeks, months for an upcoming appearance of the Manilow just so she could record it an add to her collection.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 8th August 2015, 09:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Aliens
Police academy
Gremlins
Poltergeist
Nightmare on elm street
All the hammer horrors

Sure there are many more

Edit

Charles Bronson movies used to watch these with my dad every week end along with horrors with my mother. We would go to the local video rental store on Friday me and mother would choose some horrors and dad would get his westerns and Bronson movies
SharonLynette likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 8th August 2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 8th August 2015, 10:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Loads really - Terminator, Aliens, The Thing etc etc. The ratings system was a concept lost on my parents, the only thing my mum objected to was sex scenes, where she'd cover my eyes up!
trebor8273 and SharonLynette like this.
Old 8th August 2015, 10:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
I don't think I've ever seen Barbarella. I have a funny feeling that we might have had Yellow Submarine taped on betamax. Mum really did love taping things, still does. She has enough tapes of Barry Manilow appearances to fill a skip. I remember having to watch Sally Jesse Raphael for weeks, months for an upcoming appearance of the Manilow just so she could record it an add to her collection.
'Barbarella's still a really cool movie.

With all this Manilow talk you've reminded me of a disturbing childhood memory, also involving someone's mother. Mother in question belonged to my eight year old friend. She (mom) was a Barry Manilow obsessive. She was also known around our small town for being a bit... erm... 'histrionic'. One day friend and I were in his kitchen playing some weird game involving melting an action man's face when his mother burst through the door in complete hysterics, screaming that Barry Manilow had just been assassinated! We basically had to comfort her for two hours as she sat in a chair, head buried in hands, gibbering about how America had lost its one true hope for salvation to the Argentinians! (this was around the time of the Falklands war). She then made my friend stand on the window ledge whilst she hid behind a sofa, explaining that she wasn't ready to be interviewed by the journalists who were on their way to the house to ask her about what had happened to her mate Barry. "Son, could you please keep an eye out for them and send them packing? I'm too distraught to even contemplate receiving them." When my own mother came to collect me she dropped everything and acted completely normally. I'm not spinning an anecdote at the expense of someone's mental illness, as I don't think she was unwell in any 'classic' sense... she was very unpredictable but deliberate about what she did on this and other occasions, and was generally quite manipulative anyway.
Old 8th August 2015, 10:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
'Barbarella's still a really cool movie.

With all this Manilow talk you've reminded me of a disturbing childhood memory, also involving someone's mother. Mother in question belonged to my eight year old friend. She (mom) was a Barry Manilow obsessive. She was also known around our small town for being a bit... erm... 'histrionic'. One day friend and I were in his kitchen playing some weird game involving melting an action man's face when his mother burst through the door in complete hysterics, screaming that Barry Manilow had just been assassinated! We basically had to comfort her for two hours as she sat in a chair, head buried in hands, gibbering about how America had lost its one true hope for salvation to the Argentinians! (this was around the time of the Falklands war). She then made my friend stand on the window ledge whilst she hid behind a sofa, explaining that she wasn't ready to be interviewed by the journalists who were on their way to the house to ask her about what had happened to her mate Barry. "Son, could you please keep an eye out for them and send them packing? I'm too distraught to even contemplate receiving them." When my own mother came to collect me she dropped everything and acted completely normally. I'm not spinning an anecdote at the expense of someone's mental illness, as I don't think she was unwell in any 'classic' sense... she was very unpredictable but deliberate about what she did on this and other occasions, and was generally quite manipulative anyway.
That is bizarre. An old boyfriend told me about an essay he had read to do with fandom, Manilow fans are apparently among the most bizarre. One of mums Barry friends (they've actually stopped communicating with her due to her behaviour) was way too obsessed with Barry to the point that her husband left her. I really can't imagine how she reacted to the news that he's married his manager Garry. Speaking of the Falklands, my mother stocked up on tinned corned beef, I found boxes of out of date corned beef in the wardrobe years later - at the time it didn't click.

My mum is on the obsessive side. She was in the fan club, there was a convention each year that she would attend before the UK fan club closed down. One year there was a fancy dress costume, she made a costume - it was a sheet of music.....I am in possession of this costume. When he was on tour in the UK she would got to London, Manchester, Sheffield, Cardiff I think, he was usually on two or three nights and she would go to them all, it wasn't a cheap hobby. One year she was sat in front of the Nolans.

Incidentally she went to one of his concerts when she was 8 months pregnant with me. I came out early.....there's certainly a connection.

Having said that I do love an odd Barry tune and unlike my mother I can actually remember the lyrics which unbelievably she can't!
Old 8th August 2015, 11:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
That is bizarre. An old boyfriend told me about an essay he had read to do with fandom, Manilow fans are apparently among the most bizarre. One of mums Barry friends (they've actually stopped communicating with her due to her behaviour) was way too obsessed with Barry to the point that her husband left her. I really can't imagine how she reacted to the news that he's married his manager Garry. Speaking of the Falklands, my mother stocked up on tinned corned beef, I found boxes of out of date corned beef in the wardrobe years later - at the time it didn't click.

My mum is on the obsessive side. She was in the fan club, there was a convention each year that she would attend before the UK fan club closed down. One year there was a fancy dress costume, she made a costume - it was a sheet of music.....I am in possession of this costume. When he was on tour in the UK she would got to London, Manchester, Sheffield, Cardiff I think, he was usually on two or three nights and she would go to them all, it wasn't a cheap hobby. One year she was sat in front of the Nolans.

Incidentally she went to one of his concerts when she was 8 months pregnant with me. I came out early.....there's certainly a connection.

Having said that I do love an odd Barry tune and unlike my mother I can actually remember the lyrics which unbelievably she can't!
Jeez, the eighties were pretty dark, weren't they?
Sitting in front of the Nolans... stocking up for the Falklands nuclear holocaust! My friend (another one) filled an entire cellar full of water bottles, convinced that the world was gonna blow any day. Quite heavy thinking for a kid.
That sheet music dress sounds cool.
SharonLynette likes this.
Old 8th August 2015, 11:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Jeez, the eighties were pretty dark, weren't they?
Sitting in front of the Nolans... stocking up for the Falklands nuclear holocaust! My friend (another one) filled an entire cellar full of water bottles, convinced that the world was gonna blow any day. Quite heavy thinking for a kid.
That sheet music dress sounds cool.
As a child I was convinced I was an alien so a cellar full of water bottles is nothing.

Mum wasn't worried about survival, she was worried that she would never get to taste corned beef again.

I'll have to remember to dig it out and take a photo.

Like this? Share it using the links below!