Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th August 2015, 04:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Favourite Films as a Child (that were in no way aimed at children)

Now, there is a thread for favourite childhood films - this isn't a duplicate thread I wanted to start something slightly different.

So how does it differ? I want to know what your favourite films were when you were a child that weren't films for children. I know this is only a slight variation but there were a few films that I considered to be my favourites that I watched over and over that just weren't for children and I can't even see why a child would want to watch them. I mean I also watched a lot of classic sci-fi but what child wouldn't like that?

Three films I adored and watched over and over were,

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle - I rented this when I was about 10 for a sleepover with friends and became obsessed with it after that.

The Blue Lagoon - mum had recorded this when it was on the telly and I swear I wore out the part where you can see a glimpse of penis with the amount of pausing I did.

The Color Purple - another favourite, I think I first watched it when I was 6 and just loved it, I watched it over and over.

Now none of these I can imagine being exciting for a child.
Old 8th August 2015, 04:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Police Academy is the first one that springs to mind
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 8th August 2015, 04:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Police Academy is the first one that springs to mind
I used to rent that all the time, I loved them as a kid but the first two I think were rated 15.

Same with Gremlins, a 15.
Rik likes this.
Old 8th August 2015, 04:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I don't think i had what you could call favourites but i always used to watch the Friday night films on the BBC as a child on my old black and white portable telly which had a knob to turn rather than buttons to push to change channels.

Films such as Fort Apache The Bronx spring to mind. As well as the horror double bills on BBC 2.
SharonLynette likes this.
Old 8th August 2015, 05:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't think i had what you could call favourites but i always used to watch the Friday night films on the BBC as a child on my old black and white portable telly which had a knob to turn rather than buttons to push to change channels.

Films such as Fort Apache The Bronx spring to mind. As well as the horror double bills on BBC 2.
I didn't get a TV in my room until I was 9 but as soon as I did I would be up at night watching anything that had a little bit of sex in.
Old 8th August 2015, 05:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
I didn't get a TV in my room until I was 9 but as soon as I did I would be up at night watching anything that had a little bit of sex in.
I bet Channel 4 was like pennies from heaven for you then.
Old 8th August 2015, 05:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I bet Channel 4 was like pennies from heaven for you then.
Yes, it was a wet dream come true!

Oh and I also loved the work of Dennis Potter as a child (and adult).
Old 8th August 2015, 06:06 PM
Active Cultist

The Howling,American Werewolf,Silver Bullet,Company of wolves-i was obsessed with warewolves as a child.
SharonLynette likes this.
Old 8th August 2015, 06:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer time View Post
The Howling,American Werewolf,Silver Bullet,Company of wolves-i was obsessed with warewolves as a child.
I was strangely scared of everything as a child. Then I became obsessed with horror as a teenager due in part to Scream. Then I started to track down banned films off dodgy guys that sold copies that had been taped many years before.
Old 8th August 2015, 06:56 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Pit and the Pendulum (1961). My first Vincent Price film and one of my very first Horror films. I haven't seen this in a while, but I remember that I always liked the film. The scene with the iron maiden scared the shit out of me.

Theatre of Blood (1973). An excellent film that I first saw when I was still a nice boy. Right from the beginning, I was mesmerized by the strange blend of gory violence and dark humour. I still love it.

The Wild Bunch (1968). Like most of Peckinpah's works, this film showcases the strange esthetics of violence. I always have to smile when I think of the first massacre involving a temperance movement parade. My first real Western after quite a few nice and cozy Wayne flicks.

Like this? Share it using the links below!