All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2015, 10:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
It's us old folks & colectors that are keeping it alive. I can see it disappearing eventually, but not while I'm still here.
Don't think it will ever fully disappear, but I would say we are the last gen that really has an interest in physical media .
Old 7th September 2015, 12:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I have a mate who will only download large files "for the quality".

Buy said product says I.
Computer goes crash, all yr files gone.
Worst that can happen to me is a house fire, which I try not to engender by not setting fire to the house haha. Something you can't honestly say about computers.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th September 2015, 12:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I would never be down with digital only copies, I don't even make use of the free ones that come with certain releases.

I started collecting videos at the age of 13, I remember my first purchases and then when I started to get more into horror I spent my time tracking down films that were at the time banned but rather tame in comparison to what has now been released. Getting copies of copies from a bloke I met on the internet to gifts of copied Giallo for my 21st, it has always been a special community spirit when it comes to tracking down obscure and or banned horror. I struggled going from video to dvd, I liked my bulky boxes, I still have some but there were certain things being released on DVD that I had to have.

Same thing with music, I could rarely be digital only, my preference is vinyl but I have doubled up with CD copies recently as my records are tucked away at the moment sadly (I've been seriously collecting for around 16 years). I will sometimes lazily buy an mp3 copy of a song for a playlist rather than dig out a CD.

Going back to DVDs I like having a physical copy even though it takes up room, I stand and browse my shelves as I rarely know exactly what I want to watch, heck the other week I ate a bag of popcorn whilst browsing.

I agree that it is people like us, collectors that collect with purpose that will keep buying physical copies but are we enough to keep the small labels going?

I'd hate digital only but if digital as well is an option it might help the smaller labels gather interest. I know some people are willing to take a risk for rental but not to own. A modern version of standing around in Music Zone picking up a chancing cheap Vipco releases!
Old 7th September 2015, 12:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

There's something personal about buying physical media, half the fun is spending hours looking through racks, visiting charity shops and going online to find something you've been after for ages. I have thousands of discs and there's a sort of connection with all of them, even the terrible ones.

As for music, I still buy vinyl where possible. I do have an iPod, but that's only for travelling or when I'm running.
Old 23rd October 2018, 01:27 PM
Cult Master

John Lewis pulls the plug on DVD players | BBC News

"The DVD's days appear to be numbered after the UK's favourite department store said it would stop selling the players once found under almost every television.

John Lewis said it would not put more players on shelves when stocks run out.

However, [they] will continue to sell Blu-ray players, which can also be used for standard DVDs."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
John Lewis pulls the plug on DVD players | BBC News

"The DVD's days appear to be numbered after the UK's favourite department store said it would stop selling the players once found under almost every television.

John Lewis said it would not put more players on shelves when stocks run out.

However, [they] will continue to sell Blu-ray players, which can also be used for standard DVDs."
You really can't judge by what John Lewis do. Their profits fell by 99% recently. A poorly run company at the best of times. Basically as dvd players only cost around £30 they are forcing the consumer to buy a dearer item in a blu-ray player therefore making more profit.
Old 23rd October 2018, 03:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

You would have to be mad to buy a DVD player now, 5-6 years ago maybe but unless it's a second player for the kids or the bedroom just buy a nice budget BD player for £50 or so that plays anything and has HD usb playback, now if you only have a non HDMI CRT telly that's different but again best to upgrade the telly, I do use DVD players but only to spare wear on my BD player and of course most modern games consoles easily handle DVD (even old PS2 does CD/DVD playback)

(and as Dem says why flog a £30 DVD when you can push a £200 BD player)
Old 31st October 2018, 04:34 AM
Cult Rookie

Losing physical media would mean losing choice. I don't want to be limited to a selection chosen by someone else, as is the case with all streaming platforms.

Unfortunately many are now content to have their entertainment picked for them, without realising that they are missing out on an enormous catalogue of titles, whether on Vhs, Dvd or Blu-Ray.
gag, Demdike@Cult Labs and Rob4 like this.
Old 31st October 2018, 05:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Like I stated in what you bought thread there is every reason to collect, most streaming sites only cater for the well known and blockbuster films, with odd abscure film chucked in somewhere can you find films like ebola syndrome, men behind the sun or not even nasties like Atlantis interceptors ? Chances are no and there plenty of good conversations to have when friends come round and scout through your collection and see films they never heard of or forgotten about , doesn't quite work the same when browsing streaming sites and when searching through shops you can read what the films about and see if it takes you're fancy , some streaming sites only have the cover so you to click on see what the films about you could take even longer trying to find a film to watch. Almost everything is going online these days and that's why its also killing local businesses and shops etc, tbh im like everyone I use the internet a lot but truth be told I very very rarely buy anything online and what I do is mainly film related. Everything else I buy from and businesses and shops its not quite the same sitting at home browsing the net than going out and general wandering around shops which is much better ..
Old 31st October 2018, 07:20 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantacide View Post
Losing physical media would mean losing choice. I don't want to be limited to a selection chosen by someone else, as is the case with all streaming platforms.

Unfortunately many are now content to have their entertainment picked for them, without realising that they are missing out on an enormous catalogue of titles, whether on Vhs, Dvd or Blu-Ray.
It's no different than being reliant on TV.

Like this? Share it using the links below!