LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2018, 08:22 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantacide View Post
Losing physical media would mean losing choice. I don't want to be limited to a selection chosen by someone else, as is the case with all streaming platforms.

Unfortunately many are now content to have their entertainment picked for them, without realising that they are missing out on an enormous catalogue of titles, whether on Vhs, Dvd or Blu-Ray.
Well said.
I've considered cancelling Netflix a few times.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th November 2018, 11:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Me? I'm awaiting Criterion's 19K restoration of Ankle Biters

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th December 2018, 03:33 PM
Cult Master

Streaming Isn’t Everything, and Blu-Rays Are Back to Prove It | Wired

"Some are drawn to Blu-ray because of the unsatisfying video quality of streaming films; for others, it’s the sheer joy of tactile pop-culture paraphernalia, as some small-label discs come with elaborate packaging and hours of extras. But one of the main driving forces behind the format's renaissance is the simple fact that the mainstreamers all have sizable gaps in their movie libraries"
zeroid and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd January 2020, 01:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

It seems to have been a bad year for physical media with physical sales of video content slipping 23%

“Physical entertainment is still a £1.4bn retail business,” said the Entertainment Retailers Association (ERA). “Physical is down, but it is definitely not out. Physical formats are [still] the key to scoring a blockbuster hit. Every one of the year’s top 10 biggest video hits sold more on DVD and Blu-ray than they did digitally.”

CD albums in the UK last year fell 24.7% to £217m

Although Avengers Endgame and Bohemian Rhapsody both sold physically huge amounts i happen to think 2019 was a really poor year for mass market releases. I barely bought any blockbuster style films upon release.

2020 promises to be a bit better with a new Star Wars and Bond film and Downton Abbey in January as well (That was a guaranteed big Xmas seller if they'd got it out in time) as well as the glut of superhero releases. There wasn't a surprise mega hit last year akin to The Greatest Showman and LALA Land both of which sold huge physically so the studios have to look at the endless and frankly dull crap they keep churning out and go back to the 90's and actually make 'proper' films again instead of endless ****ing sequels and remakes.

Music sales were hit due to the fact none of the big hitters released anything. Yes there were huge releases from the likes of Lewis Capaldi and co but the physical market relies on the likes of U2, Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Noel Gallagher, RHCP, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Eagles, Green Day, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian and none of these artists released albums last year. Only Coldplay and The Who had releases but were too late in the year to make much difference and people seem a bit bored of Liam Gallagher.
Old 3rd January 2020, 02:25 PM
Cult Veteran

RE marquee and blockbuster releases, I used to buy them on release day but then I realised I was putting them aside to watch later and often within 3 months they are £8 or £9 instead of £15 and in 6 months time you can pick them up for less than a fiver used so I just stopped.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd January 2020, 03:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
RE marquee and blockbuster releases, I used to buy them on release day but then I realised I was putting them aside to watch later and often within 3 months they are £8 or £9 instead of £15 and in 6 months time you can pick them up for less than a fiver used so I just stopped.
I hear you.

I only tend to buy them on release if i know i'll watch them almost immediately.
Old 1st July 2020, 11:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Just seen this graphic showing physical media sales in the US.

nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 1st July 2020, 11:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just seen this graphic showing physical media sales in the US.

Wonder what it's like for rest of world , just seems a bit off with so many having HD tvs , yet such a small attach rate for blu ray.

But suppose most get HD/4k tv for streaming.

Think UHD might go up next couple of years with both next gen consoles having 4K players

Waiting for the day when a digital site goes bankrupt etc and the digital brigade will be up in arms about losing there stuff, amazed the amount of people who think it's forever and they own there stuff , even the biggest company's can go under.

I don't want a future where digital is my only option , doubt we will see cult films we like it it totally goes that way.
nosferatu42 and iank like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 1st July 2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 1st July 2020, 11:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

So many streaming site these days it's hard to keep up, all have good and bad points, but nothing beats having the actual film in your collection, and you can watch what you want without being dictated or fear of it being censored because of things like the recent events blm, and the buzz of finding a film you've been after for ages or forgot about irrelevant what format it is on, I think the people who prefer streaming aren't real film fans and just more film watchers.
trebor8273 and iank like this.
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:19 AM
Cult Acolyte

Yup, recent events have shown just how short-sighted it is relying on streaming. They can take anything away, at any moment, for any reason.
Not good enough.
gag likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!