Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   The Premature Death of Physical Media and the Cult Home Video Labels Keeping It Alive (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/13141-premature-death-physical-media-cult-home-video-labels-keeping-alive.html)

bdc 4th September 2015 11:49 AM

The Premature Death of Physical Media and the Cult Home Video Labels Keeping It Alive

Interesting (long) article:

Netflix, Streaming, and the Premature Death of Physical Media | Flavorwire

Gold6082 4th September 2015 03:36 PM

Good aticle and in response my take...

I will always want physical media, I have no interest whatsoever in streaming you do not get to hold the item,reverse a cover to display a choice of artwork. proudly display it in a nice collection and of course digital downloads can go forever if a harddrive goes wrong and no backup was undertaken. Unless your home is robbed you'll never lose your disc!

Most films on netflix et al are mainstream or/and low budget shite. They do not cater whatsoever for the old school collector of the VHS days nor the niche cult fans such as us labbers. I doubt highly they ever will.

Physical Media may die out but I doubt it will be anytime soon even years after streaming & downloading launched (Including unsavoury torrent type sites) the physical sales still overpower the digital,thus maybe not by a huge percentage but all the same it shows a decline will be very slow.

Also streaming or downloading relies on a decent internet connection on top of a power cut or duff exchange speed it is also a consideration that many downloads have been compressed much heavier than a disc ever would be losing much of the HD quality of a disc as well as all the extras. and streaming may fresult in numerous pauses or PQ detorioations due to slow down at anypoint of exchange congestion.

I have a friend who owns and runs a small Dvd/Blu Ray shop mainly focusing on Horror & Thriller. Vhs/Blu's and DVDS. He also sells mugs,figures,shirts etc but he also tells me the majority if profit comes from discs! he has a healthy profit margin which rarely falters year on year at a noticable level. He relies on me for advice with my knowledge of what will sell and what won't and often asks me to work there. But due to both my mental and severe physical health that's sadly not an option. I am so happy he has survived through demises of mvc,ourprice,woolies & Blockbusters. but then again they sold "chart titles" not niche or sought after.

Labels like 88,Arrow,Severin,Synapse etc will always profit because they know their audience people of around my age (32) to 60 those who were around in the VHS days where streets were lined up with shops that sold films before the sad demise one by one. Stores on the street may not be of great amount now but online there will never be a shortage of physical media orders from true old school fans Look how fast videodrome sold out! code red titles sell like fire even though they are harder to obtain and the label is run by a baby in a grown mans body who seems to enjoy trying to shoot himself in the foot.

I will NEVER and I mean NEVER swap physical for digital if the day came where physical no longer existed being the stubborn bastard I am then I'd never watch a film I didn't already have!

Long live the good ol days.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th September 2015 03:38 PM

An excellent post Gold. :clap:

iank 4th September 2015 09:15 PM

Physical media is going nowhere.

Hammer time 5th September 2015 11:43 AM

I still buy movies on disk.
The last music CD i bought was in 2001,I'm a pc gamer so the last game i bought on disk was mafia (2002),

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th September 2015 11:33 AM

Excellent post, Gold
Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 461271)
Physical media is going nowhere.

I hope you're right.

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th September 2015 02:42 PM

It's us old folks & colectors that are keeping it alive. I can see it disappearing eventually, but not while I'm still here.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th September 2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 461357)
It's us old folks & colectors that are keeping it alive. I can see it disappearing eventually, but not while I'm still here.

It may become more niche, but I don't think it'll disappear altogether if there is a demand, which I think there always will be. For one example of this, look at vinyl. People said it would cease to exist when CDs overtook cassettes in terms of sales, but a surprising amount of music is still being released on vinyl, albeit for a premium price.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th September 2015 10:50 PM

Vinyl is a fast growing market.

Record player resurgence follows boom in vinyl sales up 240% | Daily Mail Online

Ignore the source please. ;)

bdc 7th September 2015 09:42 AM

Looking at current vinyl prices...I hope this isn't going to be the furure of dvd/bd releases though.

It's surprising people are still willing to shell out that much (yes prices have gone up as it's now a niche market) for vinyl nowadays, with the economy and money being tight.
Well a lot buy used as well... ;)

I still remember one record shop getting rid of all their vinyl...only to restock on vinyl a couple of years later. :)