Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   All Time Favourite Film(s) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/1316-all-time-favourite-film-s.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th May 2009 06:32 PM

All Time Favourite Film(s)

So,you lot.:jest: We've had PLENTY polls in the past.Now we get personal!;) Give us a list of your all time top ten movies.EVERY genre please.Not just horror,sleaze,giallo...your PERSONAL favourites please.This is gonna be interesting as the generation gap between the younglings and the Jedi masters become apparent.:woot:

Here we go.Mine are as follows;

10.THE HILLS HAVE EYES 1977
9.SALEM'S LOT 1979
8.THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE 1974
7.SCARFACE 1983
6.THE GODFATHER 1972
5.HALLOWEEN 1978
4.ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA 1984
3.DIRTY HARRY 1971
2.ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST 1975
1.A CLOCKWORK ORANGE 1971

THE HILLS HAVE EYES;Raw and brutal.Craven's finest hour.Last House was just too much.Hills drives home the hammer just within the parameters of decency.

SALEM'S LOT;From my first viewing on the BBC during the school summer holidays over two nights,I was hooked and terrified.Sleeping with the rosary beads?A must.Has there ever been vampires as pant wettingly scary as the Glick brothers? Answer is no.Period.

THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE;I had never seen this until I imported a dodgy quality VHS from Cult Video in Amsterdam.(The propreitor now owns the CULT EPICS DVD label ;)) On first viewing,I thought it was rather tame in the gore department,but was amazed at how relentless the film was.I felt knackered after viewing.Edge of the seat stuff.

SCARFACE;That poster fascinated me.Simple,yet striking.On first viewing I was astounded at the violence and swearing.:D Best line?-Not what you think,but 'Don't be callin' me no ****een deeshwasher..':rofl:
Pacino chewing the scenery JUST pips Michael Corleone's ruthlessness...

THE GODFATHER;What can be said about this epic saga that's not already been said? I've chosen the first one as Brando WAS the don.I don't think a finer cast has ever been put together since.

HALLOWEEN;Original and best.Although PEEPING TOM,PSYCHO and even BLACK CHRISTMAS came before,are any of them as perfect as the terror machine that is known as Michael Myers? A film that is endlessly rewatchable,even although you know which line is coming next.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA;This being above THE GODFATHER will no doubt be the cause of some controversy:woot: This sprawling saga is the epitome of wasted lives,the sumnation of what best friends will do for power and that trust and loyalty is never to be taken at face value.Violent and operatic,ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA is a legendary director's finest hour.

DIRTY HARRY;Iconic is not the word.The facist cop who cleaned the streets of vermin,had a John Holmes sized handgun and had a humour drier than the Sahara was the hero of a generation.Guys wanted to be him,chicks wanted to hump him,hell,even the crooks wanted to be shot by him.
The coolest monologue in movie history?....If not,it certainly comes close.

ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST;No top ten IMHO is complete without Jack Nicholson in it.This moving,hilarious and saddening drama is a rollercoaster of emotion.From the hilarity of Nicholson's escapades with the inmates,to the astoundment of the Chief's ability to speak,to the depression of MacMurphy's final denounment,to the elation of the Chief's bid for freedom.No siree,never a dull moment with this one.

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE;Ever heard that saying,'That which is not available,becomes dangerously,obsessively desirable'?
This was me and A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.I remember seeing the artwork for the theatrical poster and being fascinated.Upon reading about it's withdrawal from the UK,my first port of call was Glasgow's Barra's.After watching a 20th generation copy,my sentiments were to get a legit copy of this amazing hybrid of a film which had caused so much controversy.I was prepared to fly to Dublin and back in one day to get it.Much to my dismay,upon phoning Virgin in Dublin,I was told it was also not available in Eire.:mad:
Thank God for Cult Video in Amsterdam again.Six weeks later I was the proud owner of a genuine Warner cassette.
Many people despise the film.Not me.A genuine masterpice from a genuine auteur of cinema.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th May 2009 06:44 PM

10 Attachment(s)
My top ten in visuals......

vincenzo 14th May 2009 09:35 PM

To Sir With Love
It's A Wonderful Life
2001: A Space Odyssey
To Kill A Mockingbird
Betty Blue (37°2 Le Matin)
Battleship Potemkin
Theatre Of Blood
Jaws
Ben Hur
Way Out West

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 15th May 2009 11:40 AM

Oooh very dificult thread here! Here are my top 10 (in alphabetical order!) at the moment:

- Airplane

- The Blues Brothers

- Cannibal Holocaust

- Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

- A Clockwork Orange

- The Evil Dead (all 3 of them! :rofl:)

- Monty Python And The Holy Grail

- Planet Terror

- The Rocky Horror Picture Show

and

- Saw

:D Damn it's a toughie!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 15th May 2009 11:42 AM

As for the generational thing - how about this - as much as I luv the original Hills Have Eyes, I much prefered the remake - it just seemed so much more disturbing and powerful. Actually I'm gonna put the remake on the list too! My top 11 films! :woot:

Pete 15th May 2009 12:20 PM

Mine ( although it will probbaly change )

1: The Searchers
2: The Wild Bunch
3: Keoma
4: Clockwork Orange
5: Cannibal Holocaust
6: The Beyond
7: Blazing Saddles
8: Ghostbusters
9: Dirty Harry
10: Once Upon a Time in the West

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th May 2009 05:18 PM

A tough one this...

1. Solyaris (1972)
2. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
3. Lost Highway (1997)
4. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
5. Brazil (1985)
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
7. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
8. The Big Lebowski (1998)
9. Gozu (2003)
10. Happiness (1998)

... harder than I thought.

bedorca 15th May 2009 08:13 PM

No Wicker Man Reaps?

I can only pick 10? Oh well....... Here's mine in no particular order: