Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2015, 12:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default How many films do you watch in a year?

Just wondered how many movies people watch on average.

I've been keeping track and I've managed a 100 so far this year, which is the most I've done for quite a long time. Back in the 90s, when my elder brother and I still lived at home, he had a massive VHS collection (I mean, there are still 80s/90s movies he had I'm still picking up on DVD now!), Laserdiscs and adopted DVDs before I did, as well as a big screen projector. In 1999 (yes, I record this stuff, I am a nerd) I watched 198 movies. When my brother moved away, this fell gradually over the years. In 2003 it was down to 98 (still not bad) but by 2007 it was down to 57 and by 2011/2012 it was down to 30something. Last year saw me get Blu ray and a bigger screen TV (still not as big as that projector was, mind) and that has seen my viewing increase a lot more again.

How many do you guys watch and has it waned or increased over the years?
Old 6th November 2015, 04:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hard to say really

I watch 2 week even if ive seen some before
Should be more but for some reason i lose interest easy these days or i spend that long looking for something to watch i eventualy give up and watch something on tv or a boxset.
Recently ive been watching love thy neighbour, and mind youre language, shows that will never ever get shown on tv again these days.
But because some weeks i work stupid hours i barely get time to watch owt cos its sleep work sleep work so when i do get a moment im catching up on shows like. Walking dead, moaning of life, dr who corrie ok blaspheme me but i like corrie. But destest ever other soap
But ppl probably watch double than you think, cos you watch a new film thats arrived in the post, or one thats just started on tv, or go cinema to see something, or browse through and watch a dvd you havent got round to or something you recorded. Or just bought while out, the list is endless really.
Old 6th November 2015, 07:54 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

According to my 2015 YTD Letterboxd stats I've watched 426 films so far this year... however that figure does include shorts!

I've been a member since April 2012 and have logged the following since then:

2012 - 420 (Apr-Dec only)
2013 - 359
2014 - 350

So the trend has been one of decline in terms of my viewing, except for this year which has seen a spike - I have watched a considerable amount of shorts this year though however.

Also, I was living and working in Shanghai (with occasional business trips to Kunshan, Shenzhen and Hong Kong) from April 2013 - March 2014 so that obviously affected by viewing habits a great deal too.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 6th November 2015, 08:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Holy crap, I'm a lightweight in comparison!
Old 6th November 2015, 08:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

2011: 296
2012: 302
2013: 355
2014: 358
2015: 236 so far

This includes TV series, Cartoons, Documentaries and early experimental films.
Old 6th November 2015, 08:28 AM
Cult Veteran

Mine varies greatly, at one point it would be habit to watch a movie a night, possibly more at the weekend, but then with Netflix and other streaming services TV binge watching got in the way. This year for example I have watched entire box sets of TV shows both on Netflix and DVD watching 3, 4 sometimes 5, 45 min episodes a night with my friends, meaning there is no time left to watch a film as well.

However I watched 33 films Horror films with others in between so at least 40 in October, and I watched 2 films last night... I'm in a TV slump though no box sets to watch and just keeping up with weekly episodes of AHS: Hotel and The Walking Dead (and The Apprentice...) at the minute.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th November 2015, 08:48 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Holy crap, I'm a lightweight in comparison!
That's nothing compared to what some people on there seem to have time to watch!
Old 6th November 2015, 08:50 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I'd be surprised if it's more than 150, I buy a lot more than I watch which is kind of strange I suppose. My wife and I have very different taste in cinema, it's difficult to find common ground, the last film we sat down and watched together was Gone Girl, luckily I work from home and pick my own hours so I manage to squeeze a few cult titles in when nobody else is in the house. I watch more films with my kids than the missus.

We watch TV boxsets more than films, now I think of it, barring sport, we very rarely watch broadcast television, it's always a boxset or Netflix.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 6th November 2015, 09:00 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
We watch TV boxsets more than films, now I think of it, barring sport, we very rarely watch broadcast television, it's always a boxset or Netflix.
I'd be surprised if this wasn't the majority of people now, of our generation at least, catch up is too convenient meaning you can watch what you want when you want. Even Sky Movies you don't have to watch them when they're broadcast any more.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th November 2015, 10:29 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I always watch at least one film a night unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

I've seen 7 since Monday this week.

Like this? Share it using the links below!