Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2016, 11:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

Hm this is interesting bc usually I consider something I love but other people wouldn't a guilty pleasure? Won't rank this one I dont think

Clueless
Hellgate
Surf Nazis Must Die
Lost Boys
Grease
The Goonies
Legally Blonde
Pain & Gain
Face/Off
Blood Feast 2

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 10th May 2016, 11:35 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Hm this is interesting bc usually I consider something I love but other people wouldn't a guilty pleasure? Won't rank this one I dont think

Clueless
Hellgate
Surf Nazis Must Die
Lost Boys
Grease
The Goonies
Legally Blonde
Pain & Gain
Face/Off
Blood Feast 2
A definite guilty pleasure. Absolutely terrible film.

Clueless and Legally Blonde are classed as classic comedies rather then guilt trips.
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
When i first saw Starship troopers i thought it was a bit slapdash, with unlikable young characters.
But now i think the erratic direction can be defended to reflect the disorientating nature of young adults being thrust into war.

Also the bland characters embody the stupidity of young adult characters in modern film making, the jock, the pretty girl , the boffin.
And in doing this subverts the usual expectations that they'll win out in the end, when people get blown apart it plays with expectations.
Also even if they win the war the kids have lost their identities by being consumed by the military machine and are purely cogs, so have lost their innocence.

And beside all this it has Michael Ironside, Killer bugs , and plenty of action and bloody mayhem.

It may not be subtle, or win any oscars for acting.
But it is definitely not a bad film in any real sense and is really entertaining.op2:

Haven't seen it for a while, so i may be completely off track, but that's what i remember thinking last time i saw it.
First time i saw Starship Troopers i had no idea who Verhoeven was and watched it and enjoyed it immensely as a straightforward big dumb scifi actioner. A lot of the satire went over my head. I'd seen RoboCop and Total Recall numerous times and loved them both but again had always enjoyed them as scifi action films in there own right which to Verhoevens credit they do work well as. Then a few years down the line, taking more of an interest in the actual making of films and directors i was able see them again and appreciate and enjoy them for different reasons. Yes the acting is largely poor in Starship Troopers but i suspect its meant to be. Like anything Verhoeven has done the effects are off the hook, the story and script is tight. Seems unlikely he would hire a shit cast (Ironside aside) by mistake. Its been a while but as i recall its all about emphasising the craziness of war and i think the young cheesy largely no name cast suit it well.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:47 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Clueless and Legally Blonde are classed as classic comedies rather then guilt trips.
If you say so.

It goes back to what I was saying about the bulk of your audience and about how they react to these films really. Personal opinion and subjectivity heavily influences this too.

There are plenty of people who would consider the Bridget Jones films to be brilliant for instance, and whilst I consider them to be the scrapings of Satan's underbelly, if I were to enjoy them then I guess they could be considered 'guilty' in the Cult Labs environment - not so much in mainstream culture.

The problem is everyone has their own benchmarks of what they consider 'guilty' not only based on the film but on the audience you're pitching it too I guess. Fulci films could be considered a guilty pleasure if I was talking to a load of film professors or even my own family, however here they're considered high art!
Old 10th May 2016, 11:49 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I really want to check out Starship Troopers again now thanks to this thread!
Old 10th May 2016, 11:49 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
If you say so.

It goes back to what I was saying about the bulk of your audience and about how they react to these films really. Personal opinion and subjectivity heavily influences this too.

There are plenty of people who would consider the Bridget Jones films to be brilliant for instance, and whilst I consider them to be the scrapings of Satan's underbelly, if I were to enjoy them then I guess they could be considered 'guilty' in the Cult Labs environment - not so much in mainstream culture.

The problem is everyone has their own benchmarks of what they consider 'guilty' not only based on the film but on the audience you're pitching it too I guess. Fulci films could be considered a guilty pleasure if I was talking to a load of film professors or even my own family, however here they're considered high art!
On plenty of guilty pleasure lists I have seen online big trouble in little china keeps popping up so I agree it's the people you are admitting it too rather than the films themselves.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:50 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
If you say so.

The reason i mentioned them on purpose is that enough folk on here also enjoy Clueless and Legally Blonde. That's just the mods never mind the savage hordes.

I doubt anyone could enjoy Bridget Jones and the Edge of Reason.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:52 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
On plenty of guilty pleasure lists I have seen online big trouble in little china keeps popping up so I agree it's the people you are admitting it too rather than the films themselves.
Saying that there are a few on my list that I have no right in liking but I do.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:52 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I really want to check out Starship Troopers again now thanks to this thread!
It's not slow nor is it shoe gazing sci-fi. You'll hate it.
Old 10th May 2016, 11:53 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The reason i mentioned them on purpose is that enough folk on here also enjoy Clueless and Legally Blonde. That's just the mods never mind the savage hordes.
The mods are weird though... and that's before we start on the savage hordes!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!