Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2016, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Well i've got 40, i need to get whittling.
Gonna have to be a top 20 at least.
No excuses for lateness this week then.
Old 21st June 2016, 11:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'd just like to say how impressed i am with all your efforts, especially those who have gone out of their way to post the actual death scene as a video.

I've watched the Patrick Still Lives one more times than is probably healthy.

Old 26th June 2016, 04:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Top 10 Screen Deaths.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Major Toht's face melts.

Scream (1996) - The whole opening scene was the scariest thing i've ever seen at the cinema as Drew Barrymore is taunted then gutted by the Ghost Face killer.

Jaws (1975) - 'Smile you son of a bitch'. With the Orca rapidly sinking, Chief Broady has one shot to dispatch the shark.

Zombie (1979) - Auretta Gay gets her throat bitten out. Still the grossest most realistic kill in Fulci's canon.

Jaws (1975) - The opening scene...that ominous music...the lone girl swimming...

Don’t Look Now (1973) - You spend the whole film chasing your supposedly dead daughter through the canal ways of Venice only to discover it's actually a psychopathic dwarf who slashes your neck.

Saw II (2005) - The pit of needles...just ouch!

Marley and Me (2008) - The most affecting death i've ever seen on screen as Marley is put to sleep at the vets. Owen Wilson's performance is stunning. I watched this one Christmas with my mum and dad. We were all in floods of tears. I threw the film in the bin straight after. (Pic is not of said scene)

Day of the Dead (1985) - The death of the sadistic Captain Rhodes. Gut wrenching!

I'm going to leave it at nine as i'm sure there's something i've missed.
Old 26th June 2016, 05:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default my favourite deaths

In no particular order.

Friday the 13th Part 2.Death wheelchair,machete in the face.
part-2.jpg

Alien,oh me chest hurts,pass the indigestion tablets.
alien-chestburster.jpg

Creepshow. Death by Fathers day cake.
CR031.jpg

Dead and Buried,death by sexy nurse.
dead_and_buried_glc_01.jpg

Inferno.death by witch's.
large_inferno_blu-ray_4x.jpg

The Thing.death by shape shifting alien.
Palmer-Thing_mid_transformation_-_The_Thing_(1982).jpg

The Prison,death by barb wire.
prison_hor.jpg

Street Trash.death by Viper.
Street_trash_2.jpg

The Prowler.death by bayonet.
the-prowler.jpg

Bad Taste,death by kiwi director.
badtaste.jpg

Old 26th June 2016, 05:31 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Top 10 Screen Deaths.

While I agree that this is probably the most cringe-worthy scene in the entire film series, it's not a death scene. Amanda survives and appears in later films

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th June 2016, 05:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
While I agree that this is probably the most cringe-worthy scene in the entire film series, it's not a death scene. Amanda survives and appears in later films
I won't alter it. There are so many great deaths in the Saw series.
Old 26th June 2016, 06:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I won't alter it. There are so many great deaths in the Saw series.
Just put 'The Saw Franchise'
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 26th June 2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 26th June 2016, 07:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Top 10 deaths in no particular order, but with an explanation of why each is on the list – another 10 to follow shortly, also with comments:

Psycho – I had heard about the shower scene and knew the twist before watching the film, but the ferocity of the attack, the brilliance of the cinematography and editing, and the slow pan back at the end never fail to stir my emotions and make me marvel at Hitchcock’s mastery.

Hellraiser – The film is full of jawdropping moments of extreme violence, but Frank’s comeuppance in the hands of the cenobites topped them all; Sean Chapman’s decision to tell Clive Barker a different line would be better was brave, and his choice and delivery were perfect.

Blade Runner – The ending is inspired and Rutger Hauer has never been more impressive. I still choke up a little when I watch it.

Day of the Dead – The ultimate death by zombie horde and one of the reasons why practical effects are (with few exceptions) more effective than CGI ones.

Suspiria – As with Psycho, I have included this because of its superb (pardon the pun) execution and that its impact doesn’t diminish with age and repeated viewings.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre – Another film I knew by reputation when I saw it first and yet was stunned by the brutality and unrelenting terror of perhaps the most ‘pure’ horror film ever made. It’s yet another which doesn’t diminish with repeated viewings.

The Wicker Man – The buildup to the ceremony is what makes the horror of the situation all the more impactful and the fact Howie goes to his death with his faith tested and unwavering makes it all the more emotive.

Jaws – Mark Kermode says this isn’t a film about a shark, but more a morality tale about extramarital sex, ‘a depiction of masculinity in crisis to a post-Watergate parable about corrupt authority figures’, but this scene is most definitely about a shark, and Quint’s Capt Ahab meeting his Moby Dick.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb Why is this film about the end of the world so funny? It revels in the absurdities of the Cold War, and Major Kong riding the bomb to his demise (triggering the Doomsday Machine in the process) has been referenced, parodied, and loved numerous times by millions of people. If I had to die like one cinematic character, this would be my choice.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail – Of all the absurd deaths in film history, this scene ranks right on the top. Heavily armoured mediaeval knights are killed by a bunny, one soils himself (again) and then the rabbit is defeated by the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch – surrealist brilliance.

Old 26th June 2016, 07:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Top 10 Screen Deaths.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Major Toht's face melts.

Scream (1996) - The whole opening scene was the scariest thing i've ever seen at the cinema as Drew Barrymore is taunted then gutted by the Ghost Face killer.

Jaws (1975) - 'Smile you son of a bitch'. With the Orca rapidly sinking, Chief Broady has one shot to dispatch the shark.

Zombie (1979) - Auretta Gay gets her throat bitten out. Still the grossest most realistic kill in Fulci's canon.

Jaws (1975) - The opening scene...that ominous music...the lone girl swimming...

Don’t Look Now (1973) - You spend the whole film chasing your supposedly dead daughter through the canal ways of Venice only to discover it's actually a psychopathic dwarf who slashes your neck.

Marley and Me (2008) - The most affecting death i've ever seen on screen as Marley is put to sleep at the vets. Owen Wilson's performance is stunning. I watched this one Christmas with my mum and dad. We were all in floods of tears. I threw the film in the bin straight after. (Pic is not of said scene)

Day of the Dead (1985) - The death of the sadistic Captain Rhodes. Gut wrenching!

I'm going to leave it at nine as i'm sure there's something i've missed.
Your first three are brilliant choices Dem. I like that its the shark itself and not Quint that you picked.
Old 26th June 2016, 07:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The second half of my top 20:

Goodfellas – Martin Scorsese’s gangster films have many memorable death scenes, but this one, which is actually the result of an attack scene later in the film, when Joey finally snaps at Billy Batts’ shoeshine remarks with one of the most breathtakingly violent assaults in cinema history, is a hell of a way to start a film.

Alien – None of the deaths in this film are inconsequential, and some of the most emotive ones take place offscreen, but few scenes can inspire as much shock in the audience as when the facehugger, which we thought had died, frees itself from Kane’s abdomen, stunning the other actors in the process.

RoboCop – Another hyper- violent film with several candidates for this list, but the one which resonates is when the titular cybernetic law enforcement official realises who he is and how to bring down the corrupt authority which is ruining the city.

Apocalypse Now – I’m not exactly sure why this has left such an impression on me, but the insanity of the Vietnam war is beautifully summed up in Willard’s mission, from covert beginnings (“Terminate with extreme prejudice”) to conclusion, probably one without any impact on the conflict in general.

The Shining – I’m one of those who prefers this to the book on which is based, partly because Kubrick doesn’t dwell on what is going on in the Overlook hotel, nor why Jack is behaving in such a way. For me, this makes it scarier because there is no logical explanation and, with this stunning murder of Halloran, any doubt that Danny and Wendy are in mortal danger is dispelled with one swing of the fire axe.

Bambi – A moment which had me, in common with many children, in floods of tears and a scene which continues to bring a lump to my throat every time I watch it. The Disney films have always tended to take the viewers on an emotional rollercoaster and without this the ending wouldn’t be as powerful or moving.

This Is Spinal Tap – Not all great cinema deaths take place on screen and, as with Alien when Dallas meets the xenomorph in the tunnel, the fact you know it is coming doesn’t lessen its impact. The drummers’ deaths are legendary and the descriptions by the band make funnier than if they were all filmed and shown.

Watership Down – Like Bambi, this turned me into an emotional wreck as a child and did so again when I watched it a few months ago. There is something about the ‘life fulfilled’ part of the death which makes it so moving because, like an elderly grandparent or other beloved relative, it resonates with people of all ages.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail – A scene I watched repeatedly as a child, relishing in the cartoon violence when The Black Knight dispatches his valiant foe, but then meets his match in King Arthur, which results in more violence which is funny rather than anything else.

Pan’s Labyrinth – As someone who had seen many, many violent horror films and thought he was desensitised to blood, gore, and vicious beatings, I was stunned at the intensity of this beating, perhaps because Sergi López’ Capt Vidal expresses no emotion and is almost robotic in his reaction to the horrendous violence he has just meted out to a poor peasant. I don’t mind admitting I cried when Ofelia died at the end and, as Princess Moanna, returns to her family in the underworld, but this is the one which left the biggest impression on me in the cinema, and continues to do so.

Like this? Share it using the links below!