Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2016, 10:26 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
If this is supposed to be a list of the best sequels, should I post it twice?
  • Bride of Frankenstein (sequel to 'Frankenstein): Simply the greatest film ever made
  • The Devil's Rejects (sequel to 'House Of 1,000 Corpses'): It is the perfect exploitation movie - evil, violent, sexy, brutal and it contains the best use of 'Freebird' EVER!
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (sequel to 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre'): I really don't get the hatred for this film. I love it
  • Zombie Flesheaters (sequel to 'Dawn Of The Dead'): Not much I can say about this film. It's trash, but it's enjoyable trash!
  • Die Hard 2: Die Harder (sequel to 'Die Hard'): A great film. In all honesty, I could have included any of the first three sequels [haven't seen 'a good day to die hard' yet, so cannot comment on it]
  • Aliens (sequel to 'Alien'): The first one left me cold, but with this one, they upped the action, and as a result created one of the best science fiction films made
  • Inferno (sequel to 'Suspiria'): The continuing story of the Three Mothers. The first band I was in was named 'Satan's Inferno' in honour of this film!
  • Bride Of Chucky (sequel to 'Child's Play'): It's not easy for a serious film series to become humorous and 'a self-parody' and succeed. This film does it well
  • Batman Returns (sequel to 'Batman'): Tim Burton's best film - evil and mean spirited
  • Elvira's Haunted Hills (sequel to 'Elvira: Mistress Of The Dark'): There are a couple of reasons why I like this film!!!!!
Wondered if you might wish to change your list as the category is horror sequels and Die Hard, Aliens and Batman Returns don't really fit. (If it was sequels full stop then the Batman film would make my top five easily).

Also can you explain how Zombie Flesh Eaters is the follow up to Dawn of the Dead? A film which clearly has a sequel in Day of the Dead. Don't mistake sequels for rip offs which is something the Italians often do.

Besides the story doesn't even make sense as a sequel to Dawn of the Dead in which the zombies are everywhere come the end of the film. In ZFE, New York and the rest of the US are clear of zombies until the boat moors in the harbour from the island of Matoul. Even the final scenes only show zombies on the footbridge...unless they also drive cars.

In a way it's like saying Mattei's Cruel Jaws is a sequel to Jaws. Just because some rip off Italian dude hopes you'll believe him and go see his film.
Rik, keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 8th February 2016, 10:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sequels eh?

BOF
ZFE
REC 3
Patrick Still Lives!
Absurd
The Spiral
Halloween 3
Zombi 3 (ah, sue me)
Army Of Darkness
Boggy Creek II: The Nightmare Continues...
( supreme tat which transfixeth me nonetheless every time I watches it)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th February 2016, 11:03 AM
Cult Master

Great list Prince can't believe I forgot Phibes
Old 8th February 2016, 06:24 PM
Cult Master

Mr. Dike. You raise a lot of points, and I will now try to answer them as best I can. Some of the things you say, I will have to raise my hands and agree with, while others, I think you are wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Wondered if you might wish to change your list as the category is horror sequels
OK - I missed this. I thought it was film sequels. The fact that this weeks topic had gone slightly off target by having lists of the worst sequels instead of the best ones didn't really help, but I hold my hands up to my mistake

Quote:
...and Die Hard, Aliens and Batman Returns don't really fit
'Die Hard' - fair enough, but I think you are wrong in suggesting that 'Batman Returns' and 'Aliens' are not horror films

Just look at the themes in the 'Batman' film. We have various kinds of madness - schizophrenia (Bruce Wayne/Batman, Selina Kyle/Catwoman); meglomania (Max Schrek); deformity (the Penguin); attempted rape (Selina protects a youg woman who is being attacked); death (Selina again, although she is 'resurrected' as Catwoman). The Penguin was abandoned at Christmas by his parents, and his adult scheme is to kidnap and kill every first born in Gotham City and ends up planning on destroying the neighbourhood with rocket-carrying penguins! Max Schrek is a corrupt businessman who want to build a power plant, which is actually a capacitor. He also kills Selina by throwing her out of a window. Selina herself is a bad-ass fetish queen (not that this is a bad thing!)

'Batman Returns may not be a 'traditional' horror film, but I think it is a horror film nevertheless

'Aliens' is, without doubt, a monster movie. A monster movie with science fiction trappings maybe, but a monster movie all the same

Quote:
Also can you explain how Zombie Flesh Eaters is the follow up to Dawn of the Dead? A film which clearly has a sequel in Day of the Dead. Don't mistake sequels for rip offs which is something the Italians often do.

Besides the story doesn't even make sense as a sequel to Dawn of the Dead in which the zombies are everywhere come the end of the film. In ZFE, New York and the rest of the US are clear of zombies until the boat moors in the harbour from the island of Matoul. Even the final scenes only show zombies on the footbridge...unless they also drive cars
Hands up time again! Put this one down to a moment of madness on my part!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 8th February 2016, 06:45 PM
Cult Master

I may have derailed the topic by including worst sequels but i dont want this to turn into a thread where we throw down our lists and move on until the following week i want discussion about peoples picks be it recommendations or even a bit of banter over peoples bad taste in films

Sorry to sound like a broken record but for me this was started as a bit of fun and for me a journey of exploration for films i have not seen.
Old 8th February 2016, 07:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Sorry to sound like a broken record but for me this was started as a bit of fun and for me a journey of exploration for films i have not seen.
Have you started watching any yet?
Nordicdusk and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 8th February 2016, 07:06 PM
Cult Addict

ok, well if you want a bit of banter then lets get this show on the road.

Nightmare on elm st 2 is a shit sequel to the original but it has the most mental scenes and ****ed up mindset of them all, exploding pet bird anyone.
love the bus scene and like the fact its different.

Phantasm 3 people seem to like but i thought it was shite at the time.

Friday 13th - new blood i like because its an interesting mash up, carrie meets jason, it may be a bit pants but at least it's screwing with the formula.im not a big jason fan.

howling 2 and 3 i like. 2 is worth it for wolfy sexiness and christopher lee looking totally confused, 3 is worth it for the werewolf dancing nuns, and a weird kangaroo wolf birth scene.

childs play is always a bit wank in my opinion.although i havent seen curse, which sounds a lot better.

Hellraiser 2 is better than the first.

Devils rejects is good and has great scenes, but doesn't have the fun element of House.

frankenstein is better than bride.

Texas chainsaw 2, while not technically good, has so many entertaining moments. its worthwhile just to see dennis hopper going mental with holster chainsaws.

And is you dont agree, well lick my plate...

that might stir it up a bit.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 8th February 2016, 07:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
ok, well if you want a bit of banter then lets get this show on the road.

howling 2 and 3 i like. 2 is worth it for wolfy sexiness and christopher lee looking totally confused, 3 is worth it for the werewolf dancing nuns, and a weird kangaroo wolf birth scene.

Sybil Danning saves Howling II, But The Marsupials is terrible. Totally boring. Full stop!

frankenstein is better than bride.

No argument from me there.

Texas chainsaw 2, while not technically good, has so many entertaining moments. its worthwhile just to see dennis hopper going mental with holster chainsaws.

Yes but once they leave the radio station it plummets faster than Eddie the Eagle.

And is you dont agree, well lick my plate...

that might stir it up a bit.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 8th February 2016, 07:20 PM
Cult Addict

I was doing a frankie teardrop when i watched howling 3, so in my enhanced state, erm well i still thought it was shite but enjoyed it.

texas 2 for me is all about mr hoppers scenery chewing turn, so in my mind it picks up when he straps on the saws.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 8th February 2016, 07:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I was doing a frankie teardrop when i watched howling 3, so in my enhanced state, erm well i still thought it was shite but enjoyed it.

texas 2 for me is all about mr hoppers scenery chewing turn, so in my mind it picks up when he straps on the saws.
Frankie's some sort of Dorian Gray esq, wine slurping, review monster that Byron would have admired and despaired over in equal measure..

I doubt you could ever do a Frankie Teardrop.

Like this? Share it using the links below!