Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2017, 01:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Yes it does, something Calum Waddell writes about very well in his book on Cannibal Holocaust, something which is well worth reading for anyone with a passing interest in cannibal movies.
That amuses me. Calum once publicly stated Cannibal Holocaust was terrible.

Quote:
One of the worst films ever made.
Quote:
*I went into the entire cannibal genre not knowing anything about it. After seeing Cannibal Ferox though I kinda knew what to expect from Cannibal Holocaust...

*If someone filmed a child being kicked to death it would provoke a reaction from me. That does not mean it would be a good piece of filmmaking. Cannibal Holocaust provokes a reaction from people because it tends to offend them. That's not how you judge a good (or intelligent) piece of art.

*The last half of the film is overrated. It's not especially well done at all, and I think of a lot of it is very amatuerish - espcially the acting and set ups. Doesn't one of the main characters suddendly disappear in the midst of things?

*Burning a McDonalds would surely represent a lot of things - predominantly being anti-globalisation?

*There's far more pressing issues than Cannibal Holocaust - I was just making a point. I agree with the BBFC's decision to remove the offending scenes and have no desire to see the film again in my lifetime.

Righty, I'm not discussing this movie again. For the record, none of Deodato's films have done anything for me - though I think it's interesting that he convinced Michael York and Donald Pleasance to appear in one of his movies (Phantom of Death) and David Hess and Richard Lynch speak highly of him, although Hess wasn't aware of Cannibal Holocaust...
Still opinions change, especially when there's money to be made.
Rik and keirarts like this.
Old 18th August 2017, 01:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
This isn't a dig at anyone, and apologies for the swearing, but this image just popped up on my Facebook newsfeed and I think it perfectly sums up the current situation where everything and anything offends someone somewhere

Attachment 193790
I completely get that, and I'd be lying if I was saying I was personally offended by the cultural misrepresentation of most cannibal movies or Temple of Doom, but it's something which spoils my enjoyment a little.

For instance, knowing some of the 'jungle savages' in Cannibal Holocaust were played by office workers who were happy wearing shirts and Levi's, stripping off to don wigs and loincloths to play misogynistic cannibals completely alters the point I think Deodato was trying to make. Additionally, Steven Spielberg presenting monkey brains as a traditional Indian dish is just not funny, so that scene doesn't work at all for me.

Offended is a strong word but, and I can only speak for myself, it's not applicable to Temple of Doom because the inaccuracy ruins the sense of fun and enjoyment rather than causing genuine offence.
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th August 2017, 01:16 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That amuses me. Calum once publicly stated Cannibal Holocaust was terrible.
That is something he addresses in the book which, as I say, is an excellent read and I found it really thought-provoking.
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th August 2017, 01:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Top Ten Tuesdays

Same can be said for Kim Newman (which I mentioned in the CH Shameless thread a few years back. In his review for Last Cannibal World in the Eaten Alive! book he states "Now it's over and done with, I can leave Last Cannibal World behind and never have to think about any of these films ever again."

That was in 2001/2, fast forward ten years and he's featured in one of the special features of Shameless's CH blu, discussing the film/s, proving that money talks

Edit: here's my post from 6 years ago saying the exact same thing

SHAM031 / SHAM201 – Cannibal Holocaust: The Blu-Ray and DVD Specs

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th August 2017, 01:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Same can be said for Kim Newman (which I mentioned in the CH Shameless thread a few years back. In his review for Last Cannibal World in the Eaten Alive! book he states "Now it's over and done with, I can leave Last Cannibal World behind and never have to think about any of these films ever again."

That was in 2001/2, fast forward ten years and he's featured in one of the special features of Shameless's CH blu, discussing the film/s, proving that money talks

Edit: here's my post from 6 years ago saying the exact same thing

SHAM031 / SHAM201 – Cannibal Holocaust: The Blu-Ray and DVD Specs

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t
It could have been a case where Newman thought it was worth reappraising the film in light of the director approved edits, but it could also have been that he was being paid for doing so.
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th August 2017, 01:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Does he specifically say Last Cannibal World is a good film in the doc or is he speaking about Holocaust or the genre in general?

As for me. I really do think they are all bloody awful. Hours of wandering round in jungles with directors who threw in animal slaughter to ease the tedium before a final ten minutes of gut munching.

I love how Nos believes that Deodato had some ulterior political motive behind Holocaust.

No he didn't, it's non-pc trash from a hack director, made to make money as cheaply as possible.

No offence, Nos. We'll never see eye to eye on this one.
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th August 2017, 01:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Does he specifically say Last Cannibal World is a good film in the doc or is he speaking about Holocaust or the genre in general?

As for me. I really do think they are all bloody awful.

I love how Nos believes that Deodato had some ulterior political motive behind Holocaust.

No he didn't, it's non-pc trash from a hack director, made to make money as cheaply as possible.

I can't remember, I only watched the doc once when it was released years ago, my point was about him stating in the book how he'd never have to think about the films again, i.e. never write/talk about them again, but he's quite happy to do it if he's paid for it

I would imagine his opinions on the genre stayed the same in the ten years between the Last Cannibal World review and his participation in the CH doc
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th August 2017, 01:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

As for me. I really do think they are all bloody awful.

I wasn't speaking about Deodato's political motives, but the point at which the director intervenes in the 'who are the real cannibals' debate, and whether he's pointing the finger at himself, damning himself by his own creation. It's something I wish I'd asked him when I spoke with him at the conference in Luton or the film festival in Manchester.

I think there is mileage in looking out, as to the best of my recollection Calum does, the cannibal cycle of films, the different countries in which they are made and purport to represent and analysing whether this is something which differs from director to director, is a product of the Italian film industry, the European worldview which supported the industry and the effect on the people and places represented in those films.

Cannibal Holocaust is a film with higher aspirations than Cannibal Ferox, with the structure seemingly looking to make the viewer question what they are watching and their complicity in the appalling cruelty and real-life death which is documented within the film.
Old 18th August 2017, 01:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've been meaning to pick up Calum's CH book for awhile now, I enjoyed his Taboo Breakers book, which features a discussion about CH
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th August 2017, 01:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

Cannibal Holocaust is a film with higher aspirations than Cannibal Ferox, with the structure seemingly looking to make the viewer question what they are watching and their complicity in the appalling cruelty and real-life death which is documented within the film.
It is what it is. Exploitation.

If you truly believe what you have typed then it really is exploitation at it's finest from a hack director.

We'll never see eye to eye on this subject, Nos.

Like this? Share it using the links below!