Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2018, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That makes a lot of sense as well. I fell in love with horror years before this century rolled around and the films I watched repeatedly and became mainstays of my film collection have been viewed and analysed in a way none of the movies on my list have… yet!
I would say the same except perhaps Land of the Dead, Trick r' Treat and House of 1000 Corpses which i do tend to watch every year.

Fido i've only seen once. I loved it so much i'd hate to not like it as much second time around. I thought the same of The VVitch, however that definitely stood up just as well second time around.
Old 18th September 2018, 09:02 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I would say the same except perhaps Land of the Dead, Trick r' Treat and House of 1000 Corpses which i do tend to watch every year.

Fido i've only seen once. I loved it so much i'd hate to not like it as much second time around. I thought the same of The VVitch, however that definitely stood up just as well second time around.
There are some of mine which I watch on a semi-regular basis, but wouldn't be able to say I've seen them as often as The Exorcist, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, or Dawn of the Dead, being able to anticipate the lines before an actor says them, knowing the camera moves, cuts, actions and all the behind the scenes 'tricks of the trade' which I've learned from books, magazines, commentaries and Featurettes.
Old 18th September 2018, 10:00 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Many thanks to everyone who provided such varied and interesting lists about their favourite horror films from 2000-2009, demonstrating what a great decade it was for the genre and giving me some ideas of things to watch.

In previous weeks you've given lists of your favourite gangster films, but I cannot think of one where it's been specifically about the Poliziotteschi, the predominantly 1970s Italian films involving a tough cop or detectives trying to break a criminal syndicate. Along with gialli and spaghetti westerns, these were immensely profitable and, judging by the output from cult film labels, are very popular with those who've been covering Italian film for many decades or those who are relatively new to Italian genre cinema.

POLIZIOTTESCHI FILMS

Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 18th September 2018, 10:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I thought i was going to struggle, but i just about managed these 10.

1) Almost Human.
2) The Big Racket.
3) Contraband.
4) What Have They done to your daughter?
5) Gambling City.
6) Cynic the rat and the fist.
7) Violent city.
8) Heroin buster.
9) Street law.
10) Revolver.
Old 18th September 2018, 10:33 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
I thought i was going to struggle, but i just about managed these 10.
Great list, including some (Gambling City, Heroin Buster, Revolver) I haven't seen and sound really good. This could be yet another expensive topic!

The reason it was so late in being posted was because I spent some time wondering whether it would be too narrow and looking at all the films online which fit into the category and have been released by Shameless, 88 Films or Arrow Video and figured most people here should be able to list 10 or, if not, rank the ones they have seen.
Old 18th September 2018, 10:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I highly recommend Revolver, Heroin Buster and Gambling City. all well made and extremely entertaining. And with great casts as well including Fabio Testi, Luc Merenda and Oliver Reid
Old 18th September 2018, 11:27 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I highly recommend Revolver, Heroin Buster and Gambling City. all well made and extremely entertaining. And with great casts as well including Fabio Testi, Luc Merenda and Oliver Reid
I thought that, and hope the companies I mentioned (Shameless, 88 Films, Arrow Video) would seriously consider releasing them because there is probably a market for such films, as Shameless found with Almost Human, Contraband, and What Have They Done to Your Daughters?, 88 Films with Syndicate Sadists, The Cynic, the Rat & the Fist, Beast with a Gun and others, and Arrow Video with The Climber, a BD I've yet to buy.

There are so many which haven't been released in the UK, at least in HD, and I'm sure would sell well.
Old 18th September 2018, 11:38 AM
Seasoned Cultist

the companies seem less reluctant to release them compared to the giallo type films. and a lot of the ones i have are DVD only imports which may now be deleted. Gambling City was on a label called NoShame and that is no longer available as far as i know.

I have heard that Rome Armed to the Teeth is supposed to be coming out on bluray in the US, so maybe from 88 Films as well.

ooh, and i will have to get The Climber. it is hopefully in the 5 for 30 deal at HMV
Old 18th September 2018, 12:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
the companies seem less reluctant to release them compared to the giallo type films. and a lot of the ones i have are DVD only imports which may now be deleted. Gambling City was on a label called NoShame and that is no longer available as far as i know.

I have heard that Rome Armed to the Teeth is supposed to be coming out on bluray in the US, so maybe from 88 Films as well.

ooh, and i will have to get The Climber. it is hopefully in the 5 for 30 deal at HMV
I have quite a few from Raro Video, but it is a shame how many are being released in the US and haven't been put out over here yet.

As for The Climber, I checked earlier and it is only in the 2 for £25 offer, not any cheaper yet.
Old 18th September 2018, 01:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Top 10 Poliziotteschi Films

Violent Naples (1976)*
Rome, Armed to the Teeth (1976)
Cop in Blue Jeans(1976)
Street Law (1974)
Beast With a Gun (1977)
Big Guns (1973)
Magnum Cop (1978)
Caliber 9 (1972)
The Heroin Busters (1977)
The Cynic, The Rat and The Fist (1977)

Pity this topic is just Poliziotteschi films as it leaves out other Italian crime films like Rulers of the City, Ricco the Mean Machine, Violent City, Contraband, Death Rage and The Last Round.

Like this? Share it using the links below!