ebola syndrome.jpg thing.jpg

virus1.jpg rabid.jpg

071210pontypoolposter.jpg band.jpg
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:47 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I wouldn't classify The Thing as a 'Virus' film (it's not currently on my long list) because it's about a single shape-shifting organism rather than something which would infect people, but I wouldn't classify an alien parasite as a Virus.

However, looking at the website where I found the information, they say "Let’s start off with explaining the difference between bacteria, and a virus. First off, bacteria are classically alive, by which we mean they have all the metrics that define life, most importantly of all, cell-structure. Virii, on the other hand, are not quite alive, they’re more like randomly wandering bits of DNA with an attitude problem and a suit of protein-based armor."

As I'm not a scientist, I'm not going to argue too forcefully one way or the other!

I really like Pontypool, but haven't seen Impulse or And The Band Played On – as they are on your top 10 list, I'm guessing you recommend them.
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:58 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I wouldn't classify The Thing as a 'Virus' film (it's not currently on my long list) because it's about a single shape-shifting organism rather than something which would infect people, but I wouldn't classify an alien parasite as a Virus.

However, looking at the website where I found the information, they say "Let’s start off with explaining the difference between bacteria, and a virus. First off, bacteria are classically alive, by which we mean they have all the metrics that define life, most importantly of all, cell-structure. Virii, on the other hand, are not quite alive, they’re more like randomly wandering bits of DNA with an attitude problem and a suit of protein-based armor."

As I'm not a scientist, I'm not going to argue too forcefully one way or the other!

I really like Pontypool, but haven't seen Impulse or And The Band Played On – as they are on your top 10 list, I'm guessing you recommend them.
In terms of epidemiology the thing is both a living thinking creature and a virus. The idea of not knowing who is infected and trying to figure it out makes it fit imo.

Impulse is a highly entertaining variation on the crazies. Often overlooked. It's got an early bill Paxton role. Worth checking out.

And the band played on is an account of the early years of the Aids epidemic and how government inaction allowed it to spread. In some regards it's arguably more chilling than anything else on My list because its true.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:43 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
In terms of epidemiology the thing is both a living thinking creature and a virus. The idea of not knowing who is infected and trying to figure it out makes it fit imo.
That makes a lot of sense – it's now on my list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
And the band played on is an account of the early years of the Aids epidemic and how government inaction allowed it to spread. In some regards it's arguably more chilling than anything else on My list because its true.
That sounds a little like the backdrop for Dallas Buyers Club, a film which is on my long list at the moment and could make it to the top 10.
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd October 2018, 12:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Top 10 Viral Outbreak Films

Outbreak (1995)
Panic in the Streets (1950)
Cabin Fever (2002)
The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
Perfect Sense (2011)
The Thaw (2009)
Doomsday (2008)
Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)*
The Last Man on Earth (1964)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)

Old 2nd October 2018, 01:26 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Panic in the Streets (1950)
Perfect Sense (2011)
The Thaw (2009)
Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)
I haven't seen any of these!
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I haven't seen any of these!
I wouldn't bother with the Resident Evil film unless you are a fan of the series which you obviously aren't or you would have seen it. If that makes sense.

Panic in the Streets
is a must see film with a terrific performance by Richard Widmark, and Perfect Sense is a gem i discovered a couple of years ago out of the blue. Quite devastating.

The Thaw is a fun film and probably nearer in mind to a virus film than The Thing which it slightly resembles.
keirarts and Prince_Vajda like this.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I wouldn't bother with the Resident Evil film unless you are a fan of the series which you obviously aren't or you would have seen it. If that makes sense.

Panic in the Streets
is a must see film with a terrific performance by Richard Widmark, and Perfect Sense is a gem i discovered a couple of years ago out of the blue. Quite devastating.

The Thaw is a fun film and probably nearer in mind to a virus film than The Thing which it slightly resembles.
I do have a box set with the first four films and, separately, Resident Evil: Afterlife, which I enjoyed when I saw it last. Because Retribution is a direct sequel and was filmed straight afterwards, I have just ordered it from Music Magpie as it will make sense to watch them back-to-back.

I'll keep an eye out for The Thaw, Panic in the Streets and Perfect Sense because they all seem like films I'd either love or deeply appreciate.

Edit: Panic in the Streets is fortunately included with Amazon Video, so I'll be up to watch that this week.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:56 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I do have a box set with the first four films and, separately, Resident Evil: Afterlife, which I enjoyed when I saw it last. Because Retribution is a direct sequel and was filmed straight afterwards, I have just ordered it from Music Magpie as it will make sense to watch them back-to-back.

I'll keep an eye out for The Thaw, Panic in the Streets and Perfect Sense because they all seem like films I'd either love or deeply appreciate.
The Thaw is great

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 2nd October 2018, 02:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

28 Days Later 2002
Cabin Fever 2002
Carriers 2009
Contagion 2011
Doghouse 2009
Outbreak 1995
Planet Terror 2007
Pontypool 2008
REC 2004
The Cassandra Crossing 1976

Like this? Share it using the links below!