Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2018, 05:23 PM
Cult Addict

Ten scary films (in no order)

Alien
I seen this at the cinema last year and boy oh boy did that make me feel uneasy. I've never had that sense of dread pour over me like those final moments when Ripley is trying to escape.

Legend
I watched this as a kid and that dance sequence and Tim Curry's makeup and his voice gave me nightmares.

Stephen King's It (90s)
Watched this when I was 5 years old, ****ing clowns scared the shit out of me for years, and they were supposed to be fun.

Nightmare Before Christmas
That ending sequence with Oogy Boogy getting his seams ripped open and the torrent of bugs pouring out of him freaked me out, to the point I wasn't comfy around bug's.

Trainspotting
That cold turkey sequence, I wish that would be the end of it. But imagine watching that scene in the middle of the night when you're a kid.

Hour of the Wolf
A favourite of mine. It just gives of a feeling that you're along for the ride and sticks with the characters during their ordeal, trying to question what's real and what's a nightmare.

The Blair Witch Project
I thought it was real and the idea of being lost in the woods is something that I'm still petrified of and especially with the coastal path near my area. I never want to go there in the night.

Halloween
Michael Myers just moving so calmly, never saying a thing just doing what he does, no remorse and that makes me uncomfortable.

Beetlejuice
Entertaining, but the Burton setting and that giant worm terrified me to shit. Also the idea of being dead and trapped within you're home with no way to get out is still something that scares me.

A Nightmare on Elm Street
Freddy Krueger being able to get to you by your dreams gave me terrors as a teenager. Enough said.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 10th October 2018, 08:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Short list for me, only one film has ever scared me, which is why I usually only watch it at night, but seeing as the trailer for the remake dropped earlier, I’m breaking my own rule and am actually watching it right now:

1) Pet Sematary - Because of frigging Zelda!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th October 2018, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Short list for me, only one film has ever scared me, which is why I usually only watch it at night, but seeing as the trailer for the remake dropped earlier, I’m breaking my own rule and am actually watching it right now:

1) Pet Sematary - Because of frigging Zelda!
Still cant watch this a night, creepy evil bitch!!
Old 10th October 2018, 08:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Still cant watch this a night, creepy evil bitch!!
This will be the first time I have in years
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th October 2018, 08:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
This will be the first time I have in years
We wouldn't judge if you sleep with the lights on afterwards.!
Rik likes this.
Old 10th October 2018, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I've never understood the love for Pet Sematary. As a film it's okay but not sure where this fear factor comes from.

Treb and Rik have always said it shits them up but i just can't see it.

Oh well. Just one of those things i suppose.
Old 10th October 2018, 10:26 PM
Cult Addict

I watched Pet Sematary about a month ago and i still feel the same way i always did.
It has some really atmospheric moments and Zelda, the cat and Gage are pretty creepy.
Fred Gwynne is really good as well.

Only problem is the actual family are really bad actors and i really hate the undead spirit guy whose attempts at comic relief really screw up the overall tone of the film.

The new film looks watchable, but i'm not sure about the wicker man kids vibe i'm getting.
Probably end up being half a good film like the original.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 10th October 2018, 10:31 PM
Cult Addict

To me the power of Pet Sematary comes from the horror of not accepting death and trying to bring back loved ones but instead making the situation worse.

I think it is one of the more disturbing and powerful King novels, especially if you are a parent.

But the main actors screw the original film up for me.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 10th October 2018, 11:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I never thought of Pet Semetary being a horror more chiller factor, I had it on VHS, watched it, people told me about Zelda, ok are was creepy, when I read the book, it was more scary than the movie, I read Misery but can never watch the movie.
Old 11th October 2018, 07:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've never understood the love for Pet Sematary. As a film it's okay but not sure where this fear factor comes from.

Treb and Rik have always said it shits them up but i just can't see it.

Oh well. Just one of those things i suppose.
I think for me it’s because I read the book when I was 11 and it terrified me, then me and a friend had his babysitter rent us the film when I slept over at his house a few months later and it scared the crap out of all three of us, so it’s got that nostalgic thing with me and now almost 30 years later Zelda still creeps me out.
Also, watching it as a parent is hard going, I don’t even wanna think about what I’d be like if one of my sons was killed in such an awful way!

Gotta agree with the comments about the actors (apart from the awesome Fred Gwynne) being pretty bad, Denise Crosby is a terrible actress

Like this? Share it using the links below!