Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2020, 05:04 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Fantastic list, Dem!

I was thinking about mine today and my list will have a similar look to yours – my provisional list includes all Raiders of the Lost Ark, Casablanca, Some Like It Hot and North by Northwest.
Old 8th April 2020, 05:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Fantastic list, Dem!

I was thinking about mine today and my list will have a similar look to yours – my provisional list includes all Raiders of the Lost Ark, Casablanca, Some Like It Hot and North by Northwest.
Cheers.

There might only be yourself and i doing the list as you have to think about it and then type more than ten words. Our members have too much to do, places to go, people to see.
Old 8th April 2020, 05:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Cheers.

There might only be yourself and i doing the list as you have to think about it and then type more than ten words. Our members have too much to do, places to go, people to see.
I hope there are plenty of lists showing a variety of reasoning and knowledge.

The way I thought of it was to do the film equivalent of a food parcel, something you could leave on someone's doorstep and they would be entertained with a majority of the films – it's unlikely they will like them all – for a number of weeks.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th April 2020, 06:18 PM
Cult Addict

Films to self isolate with.

I've gone for long run times as with our hectic lives sometimes finding time for these movies is difficult....

Berlinalexanderplatz.

18 effing hours of great drama. Compelling and rewatchable.

Twin peaks series 3

It's a film. like above a really long film. Arguably better than The 90's series.

Once upon a time in America

Really having time allows you to get really absorbed in Leone's gangster epic.

Love exposure

Sion Sono can do lengthy run times and still be compelling. Prepare to lose an afternoon on the film that might be his masterpiece.

The sorrow and the pity

Marcel Ophuls film chronicles France during war time and is another weighty epic. Now you have time on your hands a worthy watch.

Dekalog

Another epic chronicling the 10 deadly sins. Probably a few days worth here.

Dr mabuse the gambler.

Over four hours of classic Fritz lang. What's not to love?

Shoah

More WW2. Genuinely enlightening account of the holocaust.

Andrei Rublev

Most Tarkovsky is worth a go if you have time. This ones a monster. Also one of his best films.

Until the end of the world.

If you have the directors cut then this is a 5+ hour epic road movie.
Old 8th April 2020, 06:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Shining
Never take a job in a hotel where isolation is inevitable,, a hotel with a ghostly past and cabin fever will set in. Stephen King's horror brought to life by Stanley Kubrick's vision with Jack Nicholson. Any one ever gone to a hotel and hope never to see twin girls standing there.

The Exorcist.
One of the best horror movies ever made and change the genre of ghost/demonic possession. William Friedkin pulled out no punches with this film even though accidents and tragedies happened behind the scenes and always watch it and never get bored.

Supermam.
Is it a bird.. Is it a plane, no it's a guy wearing red underwear on the outside one of my favourite childhood movies starring Christopher Reeve as the last son of Krypton. Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor is probably one of the best villains, the acting is great even Marlon Brando appearance is amazing. The visual effects make it believable that a man can fly.

The Godfather/The Godfather Part II.
One of the best Italian/American gangsters movie starring Al Pacino, war hero who is drawn into the family business and running the family and second part on the rise of Vito Corleone mixed with Michael's thirst for power. Director Francis Ford Coppola took Mario Puzo's novel. From start to finish these films are great.

(REC).
Everyone seemed to talk about Blair Witch Project being scary...this one was scary first time seeing it and had me on the edge of my seat. Made in Spain and set in a apartment block sealed in with residents, emergency services, a tv presenter and camera man record a Outbreak of a virus but it is something else. This has horror suspense and few jump or unexpected scenes.

The Burbs.
Your neighbours are strange no one goes in and nobody comes out.
One of Tom Hanks great comedies of the 80s about a cul-de-sac neighbourhood everyone seems happy but every place has those strange neighbours with a noise from the basement. Laughs come in good with this.

Harry Potter and the philosophers stone.
Your the boy who lived. Why did someone fart and killed people?
This was always a favourite only because Richard Harris was in a great part aswell as other great brittish actors. Brilliantly visual effects and great direction From Chris Colombus.

Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring.
One ring to rule the all. From Peter Jackson comes one of the best family adventure films, this may not be for everyone but surely someone has seen this at least once, best way to pass a few hours of isolation.

Scarface.
Get the money then get the girls and say hello to his little friend.
Al Pacino as Tony Montana, Cuban Refugee living in America and rising up from a small time crook to biggest coccaine sellers.
What is there to hate about this film, Oliver Stone and Brian DePalma created this action crime thriller that was off my radar for till I first saw it 3 years ago and loved it

Contagion.
Only cos I'm sadistic. Did someone actually see the future with the story and what actually is happening now? This may not be for everyone and shows how people panic during a epidemic and how CDC and W.H.O work to find a cure.
Old 8th April 2020, 06:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Two excellent posts, thanks Keir and Mr.B.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 8th April 2020, 06:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Two excellent posts, thanks Keir and Mr.B.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th April 2020, 06:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The views below are tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be taken seriously.

Inception. Thought you'd be bored in isolation did you? Ha! Think on this for a few weeks then you intellectual pigmy!

My Fair Lady. Stop moping and learn proper diction, wot! Oh, 'enry 'iggins. I'm getting married in the morning...

Stalled. Don't be this guy stuck in the bog during a zombie apocalypse and certainly don't be this guy stuck in a phone box during a zombie apocalypse and in the need of the toilet...

Se7en. Shout "I saw that ending coming a bleeding mile off!" as loudly as you like at your telly as no-one can hear you scream during a lock-down...

Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope. Han shot first, you Disney sell-outs! Stirring stuff to dream away a couple of hours. After that you can build your own R2-D2 out of all those cornflake packets you've been stock-piling.

My Favourite Year. Get happily pissed alongside Peter O'Toole. On my list simply for the line he utters when he urinates in the full ladies toilet by mistake, "This is for the ladies, but sometimes I have to pass a little water through it."

Castaway. Laugh at someone who's lost it even more than you have. Mr. Wilson? He's nuts! Also, hide any ice skates you have kicking around the house, we're all just a few months away from self-dentistry...

Airplane. Because it is a comedy masterpiece. No funnies I can do here, so just put it on already.

Excalibur. Watch Arthur get his chopper out and marvel at Nichol Williamson's headwear. Bonus points for Helen Mirren in revealing outfits and Pickard when he was still a luvvy and not just like you and me.

Night Train to Terror. Why wouldn't I recommend a film with spandex musical interludes, a suicide club, and so short of money they filmed the last part in plasticine?
Old 8th April 2020, 07:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Great lists, Kier and MrBarlow, and thanks for the innovation and humour, Deadite.

Interestingly, there are two long films vying for contention on my list: Shoah and Dekalog I'm putting one of them on because, like Kier said, this situation would give you time to watch at least one lengthy film which is considered great and you'd be able to pace yourself and come out of self-isolation being able to say that you'd seen something 'worthy' and 'cultural'.

Also, with time to watch a nine hour documentary on the Holocaust, you would probably have some sense of perspective on your current situation and grew to appreciate the preciousness of life. If you think your current situation is bad, it could be worse. Don't worry, there's also some light entertainment in the box to enjoy afterwards!
Old 8th April 2020, 09:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Great lists, Kier and MrBarlow, and thanks for the innovation and humour, Deadite.

Interestingly, there are two long films vying for contention on my list: Shoah and Dekalog I'm putting one of them on because, like Kier said, this situation would give you time to watch at least one lengthy film which is considered great and you'd be able to pace yourself and come out of self-isolation being able to say that you'd seen something 'worthy' and 'cultural'.

Also, with time to watch a nine hour documentary on the Holocaust, you would probably have some sense of perspective on your current situation and grew to appreciate the preciousness of life. If you think your current situation is bad, it could be worse. Don't worry, there's also some light entertainment in the box to enjoy afterwards!
Your 'friend' is 'climbing the walls' thanks to self isolation, can't go out at all and you want them to watch a NINE HOUR DOCUMENTARY ON THE HOLOCAUST.

Are you ****ing serious?
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!