Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2016, 08:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default exrtreme

hmmm will have a think on this , a lot of extreme stuff i am not a fan of, gutterballs was disturbing how much the tone was off .
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th October 2016, 02:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hmm... Extreme horror. Like some have mentioned, this may be a tad difficult as I haven't seen (and don't want to see) films like August Underground, Men Behind the Sun or Murder Set-Pieces. So, here's a list of horror films that I like that did ruffle some feathers on release.

* A Serbian Film - Honestly, I thought this was very good. It's well acted, has striking photography and a well-paced mystery plot to it that keeps the viewer invested. I'm assuming (based on the title) that the film is a metaphor for the horrific acts committed in Serbia's past. The film does fall down the trap of being too over-the-top and descends into farcical black comedy but overall, it's a lot better than the mainstream critics made it out to be. The ending is a doozy.

* Irreversible - Is this a horror? Maybe not, but it does plunge the viewer into disturbing circumstances. The dizzying camerawork, strong strobing colours, and the numbing soundtrack (by Daft Punk, only they use their real names as I guess being attached to an ultra-violent rape thriller might do damage) will make you ill. The real stroke of genius is the reversed narrative. By opening with the brutal murder instead of the prolonged sexual-assualt, Irreversible challenges the viewer's perception of cinematic justice.

* Inside - Story wise, this tale of a pregnant women being hounded by a psychopath is uncontroversial. But, the committed performances and unflinching violence makes this a tad tough at times to watch.

* Ichi the Killer - Again, maybe not a pure horror as the violence is rather cartoonish. But, it's Takashi Miike's use of rape scenes that pushes the film into truly distressing territory. Miike uses the titular character as a surrogate for the audience, as Ichi is "told" that the gangsters he is killing raped his school-friend. However, this begins to backfire as Ichi sees rape as the prelude to a romantic relationship, as he imagines himself as the white knight saving the fair maiden. It is a disturbing thought as it is asking us (not condemning us) why do we watch these films. Of course, this flew right over the BBFC's head (or maybe it challenged them) and they edited the rape scenes into "justifiable" manner.

* The Untold Story - Darkly comic portrait of a desperate and spiteful human being. After murdering a fellow gambler, Chi-hang escapes to Macau and gets a job in a restaurant. Soon, he owns the restaurant when the original owners "quickly leave". A local policeman isn't too sure and investigates while Chi-hang loses his grip on reality. Very well made and Anthony Wong delivers a staggering performance as Chi-hang. I don't think this actually critically-acclaimed film was banned by the BBFC but, considering the levels of threat (against women and children) and a very unpleasant rape, I'm guessing a distributor felt it wasn't worth the hassle.

* Wolf Creek - One of the most visceral, deeply disturbing slasher films ever made. The amount of on-screen violence is rather minimal, but it's the context it's presented in. In a strange way, Roger Ebert's zero star review actually show why this film is so good - there are no pretensions or messages within Wolf Creek, nor is there any attempt at analysing Mick Taylor (a brilliant John Jarratt). He is a hateful old man with no social or ethical boundaries to hold back his twisted desires. In other words - he is real.

* Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - This film scares me. It's one of the ugliest and repugnant films I have seen. And, it's brilliant. John McNaughton captures the horrifying world-view of a mass-murderer on film, and like Ichi the Killer, wants us to question our "enjoyment" of cinematic carnage. The moment where the camera tracks back from a rape to reveal it being a video that Henry is watching is one the finest bits of filmmaking ever. If you thought Michael Haneke's Funny Games was a tad too condescending, then this is for you.

* Martyrs - I'll be honest. I respect this film more than I love it. It's a very good film, but I think the second half doesn't live up to what the first half was preparing. I get what Pascal Laugier was doing - exploring the difference between suffering and pain - but I must admit, I did leave the film thinking "so, what?" I definitely recommend the film but I can't say I thought it was the transcendental work of art many critics held it up as.

* Hellraiser 1 & 2 - These films may be the reason why I didn't take to Martyrs as much as I had hoped, as Clive Barker already explored the divide between pain and suffering. I guess I don't need to wax lyrically about these films as I'm sure everyone is already converted to how good they are. I still think they hold up as extreme as they marry images of revolting gore with eroticism.

* Antichrist - Lars von Trier's film was derided as a vilely misogynistic piece of work, and those critics are right. It's just that they missed that this was the point. Antichrist is a horror film built on man's fear of women. It's like a battle-of-the-sexes comedy turned to the ultimate extreme. But, hey, in today's SJW / alt-Right internet, we're not allowed to explore these complex themes as exploring is pretty much the same as admitting to it.

BONUS FILM

* Audition - Takashi Miike strikes again. Despite being released around the same time as Dead or Alive, Ichi the Killer, and Visitor Q, it is this one that courted the most controversy and newspaper headlines. It's even weirder when you consider that there is only six seconds of on-screen violence. But, like Wolf Creek, it is the context of the acts. Even today, people still argue over what Audition is. Is it a deconstruction of the male identity? A feminist rally-cry? A savage critique of patriarchy? Or an angry indictment of a post-feminist world? Miike says it's just a love story gone horribly wrong. Whatever it really is, Audition is still one of the finest horror films ever made.
Old 6th October 2016, 08:19 AM
Cult Addict

My (probably highly dated) idea of extreme horror. Mostly films which while tame now have made their mark in the history of cinema as being considered the more extreme end of the horror genre.

The Evil Dead
Zombie Flesh Eaters
I Spit On Your Grave
Hostel, ok there's no historical merit to this one but its fairly extreme and i really like it.
The Evil Dead remake. Same here.
Cannibal Holocaust
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Devils Rejects
Night of the Living Dead
City of the Living Dead

Last edited by J Harker; 6th October 2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 6th October 2016, 11:00 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
My (probably highly dated) idea of extreme horror. Mostly films which while tame now have made their mark in the history of cinema as being considered the more extreme end of the horror genre.

Hostel, ok there's no historical merit to this one but its fairly extreme and i really like it.
The Hostel films are fairly strong stuff, especially Part 2. About as extreme as uncut mainstream horror will ever get.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 6th October 2016, 11:06 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Great post, Macblayne.
MacBlayne and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 6th October 2016, 12:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
* The Untold Story - Darkly comic portrait of a desperate and spiteful human being. After murdering a fellow gambler, Chi-hang escapes to Macau and gets a job in a restaurant. Soon, he owns the restaurant when the original owners "quickly leave". A local policeman isn't too sure and investigates while Chi-hang loses his grip on reality. Very well made and Anthony Wong delivers a staggering performance as Chi-hang. I don't think this actually critically-acclaimed film was banned by the BBFC but, considering the levels of threat (against women and children) and a very unpleasant rape, I'm guessing a distributor felt it wasn't worth the hassle.

* Wolf Creek - One of the most visceral, deeply disturbing slasher films ever made. The amount of on-screen violence is rather minimal, but it's the context it's presented in. In a strange way, Roger Ebert's zero star review actually show why this film is so good - there are no pretensions or messages within Wolf Creek, nor is there any attempt at analysing Mick Taylor (a brilliant John Jarratt). He is a hateful old man with no social or ethical boundaries to hold back his twisted desires. In other words - he is real.
Just did some reading about The Untold Story after reading your little blurb and sounds fascinating, straight up to the top of my watchlist.

Also I do have to say, your write up of Wolf Creek is extremely intelligent and opened up a whole new way of looking at that film for me
MacBlayne and nosferatu42 like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 6th October 2016, 07:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default extreme stuff

in no order , cant say I enjoy them all tho

1) Salo - made me angry
2) last house on the left- not a fan of evil gits torturing/raping people but at least the tables get turned on the perps.
3) father's day- i like the film , it can be a fun spoof which makes the rape scenes all the worse.
4) gutterballs- sexual deaths, a grubby off kilter film is it daring you to laugh?
5) cannibal holocaust- great film, could have done without animal deaths
6) a serbian film- nasty film but very well made
7) inside- the actual film is quite splatstick but the idea is very nasty
8) anti-christ - when dicks getting mutilated in films are ten a penny these days the genital mutalation in this is horrible.
9) the human centipede part 2- the equivalent of a smug kid poking a dead cat succeeds in it's aim to disgust but little else.
10) bit of a cheat this one as it was part of the masters of horror series but Takashi Miike's imprint has one of the worst torture scenes.
Old 8th October 2016, 11:27 PM
Cult Addict

Oddly enough, my list is the same as my top ten films to wank over.
Old 9th October 2016, 01:38 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I would of felt a little let down if this was not the case
Old 9th October 2016, 08:24 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Oddly enough, I actually don't find that odd at all coming from you!

Like this? Share it using the links below!