Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2017, 08:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

This subject is too hard I've missed loads out, and yes I'm aware I have THREE Cameron Crowe films, but he knows what he's doing...

1. Almost Famous
  2. Amadeus
  3. Inside Llewyn Davis
  4. Pearl Jam Twenty
  5. Walk the Line
  6. Whiplash
  7. Anvil: The Story of Anvil
  8. Singles
  9. Once
  10. Bob Dylan: Don't Look Back
  11. This is Spinal Tap

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th September 2017, 08:56 AM
Cult Addict

Terror On Tour.
Black Roses.
Straight Outa Compton.
200 Motels.
Birdy.
Deep Red.
Rockers (1978).
The World Is Full Of Married Men.
Spinal Tap.
Babylon.
Blues Brothers.
The Phantom Of The Opera (1925)
Phantom Of The Paradise.
Shock 'Em Dead.

Last edited by mr 420; 5th September 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 5th September 2017, 09:01 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I take it you enjoyed Battle of the Bulge then, Nos?
Very much so. It's a compelling and superbly made war film which, like the other films in the Premium Collection which I hadn't previously seen, I really want to watch again in the next month or so.
Old 5th September 2017, 12:20 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I won't have time to post the topic in the morning so I decided to put it up now. This week's topic is:

Films about a musician or musicians

It is going to be unusual because, if you so wish, your lists can go to 11.

These lists can include fictional characters as well as those based on real people, so don't be afraid to include biopics of musicians and films in which the main character happens to be a musician.
As always, from my collection. For me, this topic can easily be split into two lists

1) Features and documentaries
  • The Who: The Kids Are Alright - It's easy to see how this documentary, which deals with The Who during the Keith Moon years (1964 - 1978), is regularly rated as being the greatest music documentary ever made. It chronicles the band rise from being a nervous Beat Club band to a stadium filling supergroup. Filled with priceless concert material and anecdotes, even if you are not a fan of the band, it is worth watching
  • This Is Spinal Tap - What can I say about this one that hasn't already been said? Answer - nothing! Every band from the 70's and early 80's swear that it is based on them! Eminently quotable, and an influence on every mockumentary made since. Without Spinal Tap, would we have had Bad News? (Oh well, everything has a downside!)
  • The Great Rock And Roll Swindle/The Filth And The Fury - Two films telling the same story: The rise and fall of The Sex Pistols. What we have here, tho, is the same story told from two different perspectives. 'Swindle' is Talcy Malcy's take on the story, while 'Fury' is Lydons'. Taken apart, they are entertaining films, but put together, they are an invaluable historical look at a world changing musical event for those who were not there at the time
  • The Blues Brothers
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.
    What else has to be said about this film, other than it features performances by Booker T, Sam And Dave, Otis Redding, Cab Calloway, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles and John Lee Hooker amongst others. If you haven't already seen this movie, what are you waiting for?
  • Breaking Glass - A disturbing and cynical look at the music industry in the early 80's. Hazel O'Connor's film has dated badly, but the music and it's message is still as powerful now as it was then
  • Lemmy - Come on, It's LEMMY. Do you really need me to justify it's inclusion?
  • Michael Jackson: This Is It - A sad look at what might have been. A film documenting the rehearsals for Jackson's unfulfilled concerts at the 02 arena in London. A fascinating look at what goes on 'behind the scenes' of a big concert
  • Pink Floyd: The Wall - Fictional musician Pink in a two hour ode to razor blades and wrists! Not easy viewing, Roger Waters story is darkly depressive, but essential viewing
  • Anvil: The Story Of Anvil - A real heartlifting rags-to-riches story. It's easy to laugh at Anvil, but this documentary has a message we should all take to heart: Be true to your dreams and don't let misfortune stop you from following them. When life gives you lemons, squeeze them into your vodka!
  • Walk The Line - Not really a fan of the music, but the Johnny Cash story is very entertaining. I don't know how factual it was, but I enjoyed every moment of it
  • Straight Outta Compton - Not knowing anything about NWA, I was disappointed that this is a narrative story when I was expecting it to be a documentary. Same comments for the Johnny Cash one tho - not my kind of music, and I don't know how factual it was, but I enjoyed it

2) Concerts
  • Alice Cooper: Theatre Of Death (2009) - The best concert DVD I have in my collection. Great music and wall-to-wall theatrics. For an Alice fan who knows the songs and the meanings behind them, this whole show has the added bonus of being an Easter egg. It is more than just a concert - it is a rock opera. Each song is connected with the next, telling the story of a trip inside the mind of a teenage sociopath during the last 30 seconds of school, before 'school's out for summer'!.
  • Iron Maiden: Live After Death (1985) - Iron Maiden when (for me) they were at their height. The second time I saw them, and a great selection of songs with the theatrics fitting perfectly. They might have released more popular albums, and the tours might have been bigger, but I don't think they have ever been better than they were on this tour.
  • Live Aid (1985) - Has to be included for historical purposes
  • Rush: In Rio
  • Status Quo: Pictures
  • Take That: Progress
  • The Who: Quadrophenia
  • AC/DC: Live At Donington
  • Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds
  • Motorhead: Boneshaker

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th September 2017, 02:19 PM
Cult Addict

I'm confused. Is it films about musicians, or documentaries on bands? The two are completely different.
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th September 2017, 02:32 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
I'm confused. Is it films about musicians, or documentaries on bands? The two are completely different.
They're the same in my mind, although concert films are different.
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th September 2017, 03:14 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's a compelling and superbly made war film
The little tin toy tanks are gorgeous indeed...
Old 5th September 2017, 03:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
You can do both or either. I wanted to leave it open so people could, as they have, make a list which includes documentaries like Anvil alongside Deep Red, This Is Spinal Tap or other films in which the main character is a musician.

If you so wish, you do something similar to what Susan did and make separate lists: one of films where the main character (or characters) is a musician, and another for documentaries and concert films.
Old 5th September 2017, 03:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
The little tin toy tanks are gorgeous indeed...
There aren't any toy tanks.

Thats why the film came in for so much flak because they used American tanks (Pattons) and pretended they were Tigers.

Like this? Share it using the links below!