Shogun Assassin 1980
The Hunted 1995
Old 4th December 2018, 04:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

There were many things I admired about The Last Samurai, from the cinematography to the score and Ken Watanabe's performance, but it's a film where I felt Tom Cruse (an actor who is often maligned but one who I think is very talented and watchable) was overshadowed by the supporting cast and appeared to be trying to hard. All that said, I haven't seen it since it was first released and I rented it from Lovefilm, so it could be an outdated opinion.

I'm a huge fan of Kurosawa's films and have seen The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Sanjuro many times. I would recommend them, but from what I think I know about your taste in films I'm guessing you wouldn't consider watching them time or money for spent.
I don't think it a disgrace for Cruise to be overshadowed by Ken Watanabe. Just as an example of his standing the fact he got the role of the King of Siam in the recent stage version of the King and I and genuinely looked comfortable in a role owned and i mean seriously OWNED by Yul Brynner, really does say something.

The Seven Samurai is one i'll eventually get, although it's three hour plus run time does put me off somewhat. Says he who watched Gods and generals, all three and a half hours of it, on Saturday afternoon.
Old 4th December 2018, 04:57 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't think it a disgrace for Cruise to be overshadowed by Ken Watanabe. Just as an example of his standing the fact he got the role of the King of Siam in the recent stage version of the King and I and genuinely looked comfortable in a role owned and i mean seriously OWNED by Yul Brynner, really does say something.

The Seven Samurai is one i'll eventually get, although it's three hour plus run time does put me off somewhat. Says he who watched Gods and generals, all three and a half hours of it, on Saturday afternoon.

You’ll enjoy Seven Samurai Dem, I know you like your westerns and this isn’t far off. Don’t let the running time but you off either, much like the other epics of the era it doesn’t feel long and has plenty of action in the final act to keep you going. It has an intermission as well so you could take a short break.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th December 2018, 07:54 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That was the first time I had seen Ken Watanabe in anything, and it was only later when he was in Batman Begins, Memoirs of a Geisha, Inception, and Letters from Iwo Jima, that I realised he was an established international star and respected actor. At the time I saw The Last Samurai, it looked like Tom Cruse was being acted off the screen by a complete novice!

I haven't seen the new stage adaptation of The King and I, but I saw the trailer which gave me the impression that it would be at least as good as the 1956 film.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
You’ll enjoy Seven Samurai Dem, I know you like your westerns and this isn’t far off. Don’t let the running time but you off either, much like the other epics of the era it doesn’t feel long and has plenty of action in the final act to keep you going. It has an intermission as well so you could take a short break.
It might be best to start with Yojimbo as you'll recognise the story from A Fistful of Dollars and, at under two hours, has a slightly more 'user friendly' running time! Perhaps surprisingly, Sanjuro (the sequel to Yojimbo) doesn't appear to have had a western remake but is quite accessible and is the shortest of the three Kurosawa period dramas.

If you like either of those, I highly recommend Rashōmon, a brilliant and highly influential story and piece of filmmaking.
Old 4th December 2018, 09:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That was the first time I had seen Ken Watanabe in anything, and it was only later when he was in Batman Begins, Memoirs of a Geisha, Inception, and Letters from Iwo Jima, that I realised he was an established international star and respected actor. At the time I saw The Last Samurai, it looked like Tom Cruse was being acted off the screen by a complete novice!

I haven't seen the new stage adaptation of The King and I, but I saw the trailer which gave me the impression that it would be at least as good as the 1956 film.

I was lucky enough to see Brynner and Virginia McKenna in The King and I at the London Palladium in 1979. Along with Michael Crawford as Barnum (same venue) it's easily the best show i've ever seen.

Theatre brochure below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6250 (Large).jpg (91.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6254 (Large).jpg (97.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6251 (Large).jpg (97.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6253 (Large).jpg (92.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6252 (Large).jpg (94.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th December 2018, 06:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

MISTAKEN IDENTITY FILMS

it's a bit late, but I didn't want to leave this any longer. I also didn't want to cut my list down more than I already had, so it will have to be a top 20 for last weeks topic.
  1. Monty Python's Life of Brian
  2. North by Northwest
  3. Vertigo
  4. The Big Lebowski
  5. The 39 Steps (1935)
  6. Dead Ringers
  7. Back to the Future
  8. Lost Highway
  9. Being There
  10. Possession
  11. The Prestige
  12. Adaptation.
  13. The Wrong Man
  14. The Great Dictator
  15. Galaxy Quest
  16. Face/Off
  17. Tucker and Dale vs Evil
  18. Kagemusha
  19. Dave
  20. ¡Three Amigos!
Now to concentrate on Ninja Films!
Old 10th December 2018, 07:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

NINJA FILMS

I thought I’d seen films in which a prominent character is a Ninja than I have, at least that I can remember and know enough to put on a list, so I’m going to have to use my own ‘extension’ to include rōnin, though not extending the definition to the mercenaries in John Frankenheimer’s 1998 action-thriller.

In alphabetical order:
  • American Ninja
  • Enter the Ninja
  • Five Element Ninjas
  • Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance
  • Pray for Death
  • Sanjuro
  • The Seven Samurai
  • Sin City
  • Yojimbo
  • You Only Live Twice
Old 11th December 2018, 12:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This week's topic doesn't have to be limited to films which are downbeat or have depressing endings, but could be to do with something you find draining, or generally tough to watch.

The films for consideration are those you rate highly and may have seen more than once, but would happily never watch again.

THE BEST FILMS THAT YOU WOULD HAPPILY NEVER WATCH AGAIN

keirarts likes this.
Old 11th December 2018, 08:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Serbian Film 2010
Boy Meets Girl 1994
The Bunny Game 2011
Teeth 2007
The top 3 movies were difficult to watch even to the end, Teeth is a movie that once watched and really don't fancy watching again.

D.A.R.Y.L 1987
The Last Exorcism Part 2 2013
The Village 2004
XX 2017

I found these movies boring to the point that coffee wasn't keeping me awake.

The Chronicles of Ridding 2004.
Your probably thinking why is this movie added to your list are you nuts. When I first saw this movie a good friend of mine was involved in a serious car crash, shortly she died to her injuries and never saw the end and can't watch the film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!