Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
...or the remake of Miracle on 34th Street.
Don't do it Dem - you'll be strangling yourself with the tinsel long before the end credits roll.
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Home Alone 1 and 2.
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Don't do it Dem - you'll be strangling yourself with the tinsel long before the end credits roll.
I've seen it a few times. Quite like it actually. I watched the original again last year so thought it was remake time this year.
Old 3rd December 2015, 02:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Black Christmas

You Better Watch Out

A Christmas Story

Eaten Alive (Lenzi)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd December 2015, 04:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Silent Night (2012)

A better than it has any right to be, loose remake of the 1984 slasher Silent Night Deadly Night.

The plot is straightforward. A sheriff and his deputy attempt to track down a murderous Santa Clause in their small town on Christmas Eve.

Fast paced, Silent Night is a decent example of a modern slasher film. Slightly tongue in cheek and very bloody. The killer Santa dispatches his victims with all manner of weapons from blades and flamethrowers to wood chippers, and straight out of the original movie - impalement on antlers.

Malcolm McDowell and Jamie King add a bit of weight to the film and some decent acting as the sheriff and his deputy, indeed McDowell is always worth a watch in my opinion.

Although there isn't anything new here as such, slasher fans should get a lot of enjoyment out of this new take on an old favourtie.

Recommended.

Old 3rd December 2015, 07:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Lost Hearts/Ghost Stories for Christmas

Lost Hearts (1973)
Well believe it or not I have actually read abit of M,R,James, and find this Edwardian author to be very accessible writer, where as I find Lovecraft abit confusing and I lose track of where I am with his stories, ( Alright I'm abit thick) Lawrence Gordon Clark the director of Lost Hearts dismisses the idea that story about child abuse, well it certainly may not have been written or filmed that way but to me it certainly can be seen as a definite warning on the perils of an adult grooming a child,not for sex but for something equally abhorrent. Stephen played by Simon Gipps-Kent , is a young orphan who is sent away to live with his eccentric old cousin Mr Abney (Joseph O'Connor) at first Mr Abney seems the most congenial of hosts, welcoming the boy into his large mansion and letting him explore the grounds,Its during his explorations that he keeps seeing the figures of two young children, a boy and a girl. Susan Richards as Mrs. Bunch is the friendly cook who takes Stephen under her wing and tells him about the other children who have passed through.The Lost Hearts was originally aired on 25 December 1973,although there's never any reference to Christmas in any of the stories, but that's neither here nor there .Clarks adaptation is not only very creepy in parts its down right unsettling, ghostly hauntings of the two children are positively nerve jangling . Also the fact this was shot in the 1970;s gives the overall feel of the film a kinda of antiquated Victorian quality, something which a modern version could never capture, especially the washed out colourless look of the film stock.From Joseph O'Connor very eccentric performance to ghostly apparitions of the children, Clark's film is a little mini masterpiece, short but sweet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg losthearts4.JPG (28.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 71IOxLADllL._SL1500_.jpg (80.7 KB, 2 views)

Old 3rd December 2015, 07:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Clark's film is a little mini masterpiece, short but sweet.
Completely agree and certainly one of my favourites of the set.

Great review by the way, Inspector.
Old 3rd December 2015, 07:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Excellent review Inspector.

Here's hoping you review them all.
Old 3rd December 2015, 08:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Look forward to your review of The Signalman.

Hopefully you can tell me what the hell is going on.
Old 4th December 2015, 06:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Batman Returns (1992)

In my opinion the best Batman film to date and it's set at Christmas. Director Tim Burton gives us a day-glow masterpiece of fantasy horror images all dressed up as a superhero film. From the grotesque shuffling Penguin to the wet dream in black latex that is Catwoman, not forgetting the sneerily sadistic Max Schreck and of course Michael Keaton's definitive Batman portrayal.

Batman Returns is as dark a superhero film as your likely to see with perhaps only Christoper Nolan's The Dark Knight coming close to it. Despite the outlandish colours and Christmas decacence on display Burton's film is gloomy, extremely moody, bizarre and deliciously perverse with occasionally strong violence thrown in. The sets are superb as is the photography and it's all backed up with Danny Elfman's soaring majestic theme that uplifts the many action set pieces.

Batman Returns is full of juicy dialogue. It's just a tad unfortunate for Michael Keaton that all the best lines go to Christopher Walken's Schrek, Danny DeVito's monstrous yet tragic Penguin and Michelle Pfeiffer's slinky Catwoman. Oh and if you want proof of how good Pfeiffer is as Catwoman then watch Anne Hathaway play the same character in Nolan's final Batman film The Dark Knight Rises and you'll see there's no comparison as Hathaway is almost instantly forgettable.

Batman Returns is must see Christmas viewing.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 4th December 2015 at 07:06 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!