Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2015, 08:25 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I hadn't heard of The Ref prior to reading the review, but it sounds really good so I'll see if it's available to rent or stream.
Old 20th December 2015, 08:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Saint (Sint)

From Krank

Right, Santa’s Slay can f*** off. I know I said in my review that it was worth a watch but this here is the real deal. Like Santa’s Slay, Dick Maas’ (The Lift – which is great; Do Not Disturb – a truly terrible film that Padre and I suffered through once) film puts forward the notion that old St. Nick was a corrupt bishop who would steal from the peasants and slaughter those in his way. Fed up, the village launched a counter-attack and set fire to Nicolas’ galley, killing the evil bishop and his army of Black Peters.

However, this was not the end of St. Nick, for every time December the fifth (the day of celebrating St. Nicolas in Holland) coincided with a full moon, he would rise from the dead looking like the Nemesis from Resident Evil to wreak bloody vengeance. However, Goert (Burt Luppes), a survivor of Santa’s previous genocide, plans to put a stop to him once and for all.

Although it is the better film, Saint does not have as good a premise as Santa’s Slay. That film actually created a whole mythology around the Santa Claus legend, as to why Santa was nice but now evil. It elevated an otherwise poor film into something watchable. Saint, on the other hand, simply states that St. Nicolas was actually evil and doesn’t offer anything beyond remaking Freddy Kruger as a Christmas villain. And where Santa’s Slay was at least able to push itself forward by resorting to its own lore, Saint‘s story just sort of stops around the halfway mark. Even the film’s conclusion is anti-climatic (the producers were probably hoping to launch a franchise).

While the plotting may not be up to much, Maas compensates by delivering a stylish and, at times, a downright gorgeous looking film. The Amsterdam of Saint is one buried under snow and presents the city in a way that is not often shown. And while some of the effects matting may be a bit suspect, Maas often cakes his visuals in fog, lending the film a Hammer Horror aesthetic.

There is good sense of humour throughout the film as well. The film never stops and winks at its audience, but it is one that is well aware of how ludicrous its premise is. The sequence in which police cars chase down St. Nick (who is galloping over the rooftops of Amsterdam on his white horse) is one that’s exciting, as well as being hysterical as the coppers cannot even begin to explain what the hell they are chasing.

Saint is a fun film but one cannot help but imagine what Maas could have delivered if he expanded on the Santa Claus legend or at least, poked more fun at the Christmas spirit. However, the giddy humour, the messy kills (blood sprays everywhere throughout) and the excellent photography make Saint a truly enjoyable film. Based on this evidence, I just wish Dick Maas had directed the script to Santa’s Slay instead.

P.S. Warning! This film features children getting killed and actors blacking up as Black Peter. So, if you’re the type of person who uses Twitter as your news source, you’d probably find Saint to be the most evil film since The Eternal Jew.
Old 20th December 2015, 08:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I hadn't heard of The Ref prior to reading the review, but it sounds really good so I'll see if it's available to rent or stream.
It's brilliant. It's up with Die Hard and Christmas Vacation as traditional Christmas fare in my family.
Nosferatu@Cult Labs and iank like this.
Old 20th December 2015, 08:59 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Just realised that The Ref was retitled in the UK. Up until the dvd, it had been released here as Hostile Hostages.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 20th December 2015, 09:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Just realised that The Ref was retitled in the UK. Up until the dvd, it had been released here as Hostile Hostages.
Yeah. I mention it in the review. Hostile Hostages was a terrible title.
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 20th December 2015, 09:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Glad you liked Sint Mac.

Seeing as i was the one that told you to get it.
Old 21st December 2015, 12:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

So far from the Ghost Stories for Christmas set i've watched

A View From a Hill (2005)

Lost Hearts (1973)

The Ash Tree (1975)

Loved all three...again!
Old 21st December 2015, 12:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I've been watching the set in disc order and have seen up to Lost Hearts so far.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 21st December 2015, 12:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I've been watching the set in disc order and have seen up to Lost Hearts so far.
I never do that for some reason. Don't know why, maybe because i don't want to watch two versions of Whistle together.
Old 21st December 2015, 01:36 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I never do that for some reason. Don't know why, maybe because i don't want to watch two versions of Whistle together.
I'll usually watch one a night (and in between other things) so it doesn't really bother me as it's not like I'm watching them back-to-back.

For instance, this is how my viewing has stacked up in relation to the Ghost Stories for Christmas so far:

Whistle and I'll Come to You (1968)
The Moon Over the Alley (1976)
Whistle and I'll Come to You (2010)
Sightseers (2012)
Saint (2010)
The Stalls of Barchester (1971)
Christmas Evil (1980)
A Warning to the Curious (1972)
Topaz (1969)
Lost Hearts (1973)

Like this? Share it using the links below!