Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2015, 07:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Mezzotint

The Mezzotint is a brilliant story, but would be impossible to do it justice as a film, I think it is better done this way,the only other way would be animated short ,which they did with Poe's The tell tale heart.

Old 22nd December 2015, 07:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

...Spine Chillers.

From the people behind Jackanory. Spine Chillers was a series of horror stories of which three were MR James adaptations. The Mezzotint , A School Story and The Diary of Mr Poynter.

Read by Michael Bryant who starred in The Treasure of Abbott Thomas in the 1974 Ghost Stories for Christmas. It was interesting to see how different Bryant and Powell were even though they were telling the same story.

Again the run time of Spine Chillers is slender, 11 minutes each, but it means you can easily dip in and watch one, or indeed all three, if you have a spare half hour.

Old 22nd December 2015, 07:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I actually remember seeing Spine Chillers when it first aired.
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Whistle and I'll Come to You (1968) Ghost Stories for Christmas

Whistle and I'll Come to You.1968
What I never realised about Whistle and I'll Come to You, was that it was filmed by Jonathon Miller for the tv show Omnibus,(I know it says omnibus at the start of the film,I just being thick) which was mainly an arts documentary tv show at the time. And it was only in 1971 that the BBC decided to do a A Ghost Story for Christmas each year. Michael Hordern as Professor Parkin gives one of the most genuinely oddball performances of his very long career, he mutters and mumbles to himself, repeating things he has heard other people say, he acts like a man who is in the early stages of dementia. Parkin seems troubled even before he finds the whistle, so is actually being followed by some supernatural force or is he just loosing his mind even more."Quis est iste qui venit" ("Who is this who is coming?") Its the ambiguity of whether Parkin is actually seeing things or is he actually summoned something by blowing the whistle. MR James Whistle shares many similarities with A Warning to the Curious, the disturbance of ancient artefact and the haunting of its finder. Parkin is an eccentric academic who doesn't believe in such superstition, when he is questioned about ghosts. The stark black and white photography and the Norfolk setting lends itself to the bleakness of the story and Parkins solitude, if he wasn't on the edge before he found the whistle he certainly is after he blows it.I may be grabbing at straws here,but I wonder if David Lynch ever saw this ?. I think Michael Hordern is one of England's greatest character actors, unfortunately for me he will always be the voice of Paddington Bear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w10.jpg (89.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg w11.jpg (89.5 KB, 3 views)

Old 22nd December 2015, 08:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

It'll be a shame when you've completed these Ghost Story reviews Inspector. I've enjoyed them all.
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It'll be a shame when you've completed these Ghost Story reviews Inspector. I've enjoyed them all.
As have I.

I finished the Robert Powell ghost stories, which were all thoroughly enjoyable, with Wailing Well as the most macabre and chilling.

Now going to start the three Spine Chillers and then the Christopher Lee-read Ghost Stories for Christmas.
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Holiday (2006)

A film that's becoming a bit of a tradition with me now. The Holiday is a delightful romcom that if i'm honest isn't that funny but has lots of lovely scenes.

The sub plot involving Kate Winslet and the long since retired screen writer, so adorably played by Eli Wallach, is a heartwarming nod to the glory days of Hollywood and takes The Holiday somewhere different and a little out of the usual chick flick / romcom norm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d0101957_127219.jpg (77.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Apartment. Just fantastic. I also seem to watch Liman's Go every year without really trying.
Old 23rd December 2015, 09:54 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
The Apartment. Just fantastic.
It really is.

Had some family over tonight to exchange presents etc. so The Grinch Who Stole Christmas was on the menu.
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It really is.

Had some family over tonight to exchange presents etc. so The Grinch Who Stole Christmas was on the menu.
Whilst not one i'd really choose to watch again, if i remember rightly it wasn't too bad.

Actually i might give it another watch now you've mentioned it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!