Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree3037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th December 2019, 12:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Christmas Carol (1951, Brian Desmond Hurst)

Alistair Sim is Ebenezer Scrooge. It writes itself. Or should do. Ably propped up by George Cole, Mervyn Johns and blink and you'll miss him, Ernest Thesiger amongst many others.
He set the template with this performance, snide, withering and pompous cubed, Sim's miser is actually quite modern in his outlook . And the film reflects his journey from curmudgeon to christlike is reasonably still believable. As a Scot, I am visited by spirits most nights . Hence my ambivelance towards his terror though ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th December 2019, 11:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Christmas Story. 1983

In the 1940s, Ralphie tries to convince his parents, teacher and mall Santa all he wants for Christmas is a Red Ryder BB gun.

Classic christmas story that I'm sure we can relate to, wanting that one present and convincing everyone it's idea, based on the novel by Jean Shepherd who does the voice over for adult Ralphie who captures the emotions of a childhood Christmas. Peter Billingsley plays young Ralphie has always been a laugh being told the same thing by different people. Darren McGavin plays The old Man trying to do his best with Christmas approaching and winning a present which only every father wants to display. No matter how many times its viewed its still makes a good laugh.

"You'll Shoot Your Eye out".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268x0w (1).jpg (18.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 19th December 2019, 08:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gremlins. 1984.

After receiving a new pet, young Billy is given a set of rules that are broken and terrifying creatures emerge and wreck havoc on a quiet town.

A mixture of comedy and horror with the old battle axe who is a bit like scrooge and only interested in money, a father who is a inventor who thinks the multiple creatures are the new thing "Putlzer Pet", and the heroine girl next door who tries to keep a good night in the pub. A good Christmas movie that still has its laugh and adorable creature Gizmo.
Old 20th December 2019, 11:53 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

Introducing Taylor Momsen. (I had no idea)

Damn! That's pretty reckless, you girl are going to hell.

The film wasn't bad. Not bad at all. Very lively with an adorable dog. Jim Carrey is clearly the Grinch...or is the Grinch Jim Carrey? Seemed one and the same as Carrey simply played himself... but he did it very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51FnaHV--zL.jpg (32.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 21st December 2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 25th December 2019, 07:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Krampus. 2015.

Max who has a bad time leading towards Christmas accidentally summons the festive demon Krampus.

This has always been a fun horror film for this time of year based on the German folklore, Toni Colette and Adam Scott play the happy rich snobbish couple who let their son still believe in Santa and their cousins who have a different view tease and torment Max which angers him. The film has its mild spots on the gore and focuses more on the suspense. Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Krampus_poster.jpg (20.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 25th December 2019, 08:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Christmas Story (1983, Bob Clark)

A wee gem. The absolute antithesis to Black Christmas, this follows the trials and tribulations of a child and his fervent desire for a rather particular present. Darren McGavin stalwarts as his "foul mouthed" father.
If it doesn't make you grin at least, you are dead inside imho.
Ahem. Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th December 2019, 02:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A Christmas Story (1983)

A first time viewing for this little gem. At first i was wondering what the hell i was watching then it sort of grew on me. Some genuine laugh out loud moments and a certain charm made this tale of young Ralphie and his desire to get a Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle for Christmas a rather appealing watch which i'm convinced will get so much better the more i watch it.

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (2011)

What truly cemented A Christmas Story in my heart was a scene in this genuinely underrated comedy.

Kumar (Kal Penn) is with his girlfriend on Christmas Eve and she's telling him the wonderful news that she's pregnant and they are going to have a baby when she realises he's not actually listening and get's very annoyed. "Sorry" says Kumar, still not looking at her. "I was watching the kid with his tongue stuck to the pole" - Cut to the tv showing that scene from A Christmas Story. It was the joy i got from seeing this that made me realise how much i'd enjoyed A Christmas Story.

I've seen all three Harold and Kumar films this December for the first time and loved them all. Think American Pie style comedy but with a little more heart and in Kal Penn and Jon Cho two excellent lead actors.

The Bishop's Wife (1947)

A second time viewing for this excellent comedy / drama. Cary Grant is so appealing as an angel sent to earth to help someone. Quite similar to It's a Wonderful Life in a way but final half hour aside of that film which always has me in floods of tears, this is far superior and more charming watch all told.

The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017)

Dan Stevens plays Charles Dickens who is suffering from hard ship following the failure of his last three books. He decides to write a story and publish it himself and the film shows how the lives of the people he meets in Victorian London inspire him to write perhaps his greatest novel - A Christmas Carol.

Similar in a way to the BBC's excellent series Dickensian, this film features many ideas and nods to other Dickens works and it's fun spotting them all, but at the heart of things is of course A Christmas Carol and the way it plays out here in an entertaining revisionist way.
Old 26th December 2019, 04:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Re: ACS D, it does, it does
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
Old 26th December 2019, 05:32 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A Christmas Story (1983)

A first time viewing for this little gem. At first i was wondering what the hell i was watching then it sort of grew on me. Some genuine laugh out loud moments and a certain charm made this tale of young Ralphie and his desire to get a Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle for Christmas a rather appealing watch which i'm convinced will get so much better the more i watch it.
I had the exact same reaction, the first few scenes are completely bonkers when you watch it for the first time but it gets better with every watch! I've logged it 4 times on Letterboxd, I love it.

Who's mummy's little piggy?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th November 2020, 06:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Has anyone started watching Christmas movies and tv yet?

There are one or two i fancy watching before my usual December marathon of 'new to me' discs.

The first being...

Doctor Who: The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe

"What's the point in them being happy now if they're going to be sad later. The answer is, of course, because they are going to be sad later."

Probably the least interesting of all the Doctor Who Christmas specials. This is held together by a beautiful performance from Matt Smith as the Doctor. The sheer enthusiasm and joy he exudes when showing the children round their newly billeted house (The story is set during WWII) comprising the opening twenty minutes or so makes the episode quite special as do the final scenes as he visits current companions Amy and Rory on Christmas Eve. Smith's acting is brilliant and the look on his face when he's invited in for Christmas brings a tear to the eye.

It's such a pity that the forty five minutes that make up the actual story are so damn dull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p01hg7bh.jpg (101.7 KB, 4 views)
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!